Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TO: 1st 99 SKY owners:

Calling all Saturn SKY owners of the 1st 99 cars produced !

Let’s gather all of the owners of the first 99 SKY convertibles that remain on the road today with TWO DIGIT VIN’s.

We own number 44, produced in December 2005, a red SKY still in excellent condition, driven originally by a GM engineer in his job. We will be at NASSAM2018. (see our VIN photo and SKY)

If plans develop and owners are found across the US, hopefully a fluid-document can be produced and made available with periodic updates. Maybe we will find enough owners of the group to form a mini-club. :dthumbs:

To begin this effort, plans are to post this informational request across the US. Feel free to use this and make additional postings in other cities and towns in your area.

If you are in this VIN group or know someone who qualifies, please alert them of this effort. Please reply to [email protected] with a photo of your VIN. We will followup for the document booklet needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Bill...u r the only known 2 digit Sky owner to be on this forum...I can take an educated guess on what happened to the early Vins...GM execs were test driving these cars in all conditions. I assume many had the original red dash installed which never went into production and were crushed..I cannot recall if the concept cars were issued a Vin number because some of them were pushed onto the floor of convention centers. No engines were installed.

No one knows where the GM exec with the BLUE ragtop is...no one knows who bought the 2nd blue ragtop from Source One (1 thousand dollars). I do know that Steve from WindRestrictor transported it to the Chicago area. He dropped it off to whoever bought it. That was 2010.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill...u r the only known 2 digit Sky owner to be on this forum...I can take an educated guess on what happened to the early Vins...GM execs were test driving these cars in all conditions. I assume many had the original red dash installed which never went into production and were crushed..I cannot recall if the concept cars were issued a Vin number because some of them were pushed onto the floor of convention centers. No engines were installed.
Mike, I tend to agree with your statement about no other 2 digit VIN's (in some 6 plus years none have surfaced), but that is still very hard to believe. The reason I say that is early on when I got my SKY and discovered what the VIN meant (had no idea when I bought the car, and didn't even notice until much later), I spent a lot of time assembling the Compnine report on every SKY from 1 to just over number 50.

Some of the VIN experts might contest that those reports could even be found, but remember back in the beginning of the SKY that all the digits actually were the same with the exception of the VARIABLE CHECK digit and the VIN number. A bit of an effort, but actually easily enough accomplished. Those 50 so VIN reports were printed and I have them assembled in a note book in the trunk of my SKY.

My dash is black.

And to add, I spoke to the GM employee in February 2017, who drove my SKY for the first 8600 miles. An engineer, he spoke very complimentary about the SKY. He had driven many of the Kappa cars.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Good luck

As the early Sky and Solstice were being fabricated up there in the Kappa incubator at Wilmington in 2005 they were mixed together. It is highly unlikely that there were 99 Skys in a row coming down the factory assembly line. Thus, finding the "First 100" Saturn Skys produced could be a very complicated task using the VIN numbers. They were intermingled with the Pontiacs in plant production order. (ie: car #00011 could be a 2007 Sky and car #00012 may be a 2007 Solstice.)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
As the early Sky and Solstice were being fabricated up there in the Kappa incubator at Wilmington in 2005 they were mixed together. It is highly unlikely that there were 99 Skys in a row coming down the factory assembly line. Thus, finding the "First 100" Saturn Skys produced could be a very complicated task using the VIN numbers. They were intermingled with the Pontiacs in plant production order. (ie: car #00011 could be a 2007 Sky and car #00012 may be a 2007 Solstice.)
This was not the case. For the first 6 months of Sky production, the Skys and Solstices did not share VIN numbers. All the skys had 2007 VINs while the Solstices, at the time, were all 2006 VINs. The 2007 VINs didn't start to intermix until June/July 2006 when the Solstices switched to 2007 VINs, somewhere about 7Y104500, if I remember correctly.

FWIW

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
This was not the case. For the first 6 months of Sky production, the Skys and Solstices did not share VIN numbers. All the skys had 2007 VINs while the Solstices, at the time, were all 2006 VINs. The 2007 VINs didn't start to intermix until June/July 2006 when the Solstices switched to 2007 VINs, somewhere about 7Y104500, if I remember correctly.

FWIW

You are CORRECT...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
So they were selling 2006 Pontiacs at the same time they were selling 2007 Saturns for about six months? According to stats compiled here and over on the Sol site there were some 42,950 Kappas produced with the MY 2007 label. That includes 2,365 OPEL GTs and 63 of the G2X which they maybe didn't start building until the June(2006) model year turnover in Delaware? If so then yes, finding the first 99 Skys would be a lot easier. So there is a potential that the first 4K or so Skys were sequentially numbered?

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
IN 2006-07...Saturn could not keep up with demand...that's when they added 2 extra shifts...for us old timers, it took 6 months to get your car. I was lucky. Waited 4 months.

It seemed the further u were from the Wilmington plant...the faster u received your car. Even Robo got his with a lower Vin number than mine...and I was just one State away.

·
Super Moderator
11,101 Posts
IN 2006-07...Saturn could not keep up with demand...that's when they added 2 extra shifts...for us old timers, it took 6 months to get your car. I was lucky. Waited 4 months.

It seemed the further u were from the Wilmington plant...the faster u received your car. Even Robo got his with a lower Vin number than mine...and I was just one State away.
AND it was sitting on a show room floor...I had to wait a whopping 2 WHOLE HOURS to get mine! LOL

Well, sorta...I had one on order at my local dealership but it was a three month wait for that one...a silver one...I like the Midnight Blue better. Maybe my Silver one went to you MM! LOL

So they were selling 2006 Pontiacs at the same time they were selling 2007 Saturns for about six months? According to stats compiled here and over on the Sol site there were some 42,950 Kappas produced with the MY 2007 label. That includes 2,365 OPEL GTs and 63 of the G2X which they maybe didn't start building until the June(2006) model year turnover in Delaware? If so then yes, finding the first 99 Skys would be a lot easier. So there is a potential that the first 4K or so Skys were sequentially numbered?
Yes, the first 2007 Saturn Skys started rolling off the line in December 2005. The first Solstices, IIRC were 2006s rolling off the line in late 2004? Early 2005?

Once production was underway, the Model Year (MY) changes always occurred on July 1st. So Sky's were built with a 2007 MY from 12/2005 until July 1, 2007. Solstices were built with a 2006 MY from 12/2004(?) until July 1, 2006 when they then went to a 2007 MY until July 1, 2007. In July 2007, both the Sky and the Solstice changed to the 2008 MY production.

A couple of us have the database that lists EVERY Sky and Solstice made by full VIN and includes both their official production date and their in warranty dates. We got this data from GM during the Airbag Sensor recall investigation. Since you could pull a full VIN from the database, NHTSA has removed the data from their site.

Having looked at that data, I can tell you even the sequential VIN numbers of the early production Skys don't have sequential build dates. Thus even looking at the VIN you can't get an accurate picture of what order they were built. Even with the database, we don't know what TIME they rolled off the line on their build date so if you have 100 cars with the same build date you don't know if that particular VIN was the 1st car off the line that day or the 100th.

However, this information really isn't all that important. We do know when the first cars were rolling off the line and when the last cars were rolling off the line. We do know the last MYs made were 2009s...all 2010s were made during 2009 production as pre-production cars. We know that production ceased in July of 2009 and they were the last of the 2009 MY production. All these that we "know" are the important cars to know that information. Collectability of car number 99 won't be any less or more than car number 44. They both are VERY early production cars and will be worth more than car 1,000 or car 20,000 but won't have the value of car number 02 or 03, the first Two Skys ever built.

That being said, it would be cool to see more double digit cars! I think 44ths is the lowest number I've ever seen in person. It's a beautiful car.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I ordered my car in May and received it in December. They raised the pricing while my Redline was being built and , thanks to SkySpy, I received price protection so the lower price was locked in. Not only that, I also paid GM employee pricing because my father-in-law worked for GM for 30 years. Because of the wait for the Redline, my car was built with the B-top, power door lock buttons and a driver seat height adjustment.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
i ordered my car in may and received it in december. They raised the pricing while my redline was being built and , thanks to skyspy, i received price protection so the lower price was locked in. Not only that, i also paid gm employee pricing because my father-in-law worked for gm for 30 years. Because of the wait for the redline, my car was built with the b-top, power door lock buttons and a driver seat height adjustment.
a bargain!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To add to the agreement of the consensus opinion above that the early SKY's were sequentially numbered beginning with 1 thru just over 50 that I searched, I agree and have those Compnine reports.

Strangely enough in that first 50, there were just three numbers of NO report that I could find. Anyone's guess what might have happened to those three VIN's, but apparently didn't come off the end of the production line and be recorded as actually being produced. Maybe someone just messed up making the VIN tags, who knows.

But on the effort to find any 2 digit VIN's, everyone is probably right ...... little likelihood any will be found. But having searched will be great solace for me.

And this effort is so indicative of the value of this forum!!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi Bram, I'm glad you asked. I was just lazy and neglected to go to the trunk and get my binder, but here are the numbers.

I do stand corrected, there were five (5) VIN's never found in the first 50 SKY's produced.

All VIN's were 1G8MB33B77Y100001 thru 100050. Missing VIN's were:
08; 11; 25; 39; and 42 (correction, were found as X71000xx and do exist).

I did merely miss a letter/number in the VIN sequence. Again, I was using Compnine and have printed reports on all I found with the exception of those listed above as missing (UPDATE: these now found).

On the PILOT VEHICLE designation, my records show at least through #50 all units were listed as WD1 (pilot vehicle).

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bram, after replying to your message, I've had some time to study the list 1-99 that you provided. THANK YOU very much for that record! At least I have a lot of proof that most of those cars did at least exist at one time. At least it gives a fair amount of evidence that they did exist.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RedOne07, yes you are correct in my searches of the VIN's, I never guessed an 'X' as being an option. That explains it exactly as to why I thought those 5 units were missing. Thanks for catching that. :dthumbs:

·
Registered
742 Posts
it took 6 months to get your car. I was lucky. Waited 4 months.
Guess I was lucky mine was just sitting there.....:grin: I really could see why the demand was so high

Terry
:cheers:

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Lets have fun...find the correct Vin number for the Saturn Sky Cognac...the one that went to charity. It was sold privately after that...cannot remember where. A little research showed it was in a Saturn dealership in Scottsdale, Arizona

1 - 20 of 47 Posts