Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m confused on the air conditioning controls. Any advice on what is the best way to run the air (Outside air vs. circulate from within)? Do I turn on both or one? Which way helps get better gas mileage?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
I havent received my sky yet... but isn't this the standard....
Air from outside: Air is fresher, but because its warmer outside it wont get as cold and will take longer.
Recycle from inside: Wont be as fresh, but since it keeps cooling air that is already cooler, it will get the car colder faster.

I tend to keep my current car on the "recycle" mode. I'm not a smoker and the car is usually fresh inside, so I'd rather get the air cold faster. Well, there are those times I pick up a Pulled Pork sandwich with the stinky feet Sharp Provolone cheese.... :)

Regarding mileage... Its the same amount of gas consumption from either, the difference being that if recycle gets car colder faster, maybe you'll turn off the air conditioning when it starts freezing.

And I'll make the obvious comment/joke that will follow from those lucky enought to have thier sky....
"It has an air conditioner? Geez I've had my car for 5 months and I've never needed to notice it was there!" :lol:

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
when it is extremely hot outside...90's use the recirculated air...but must tell u, this air conditioning system is extremely strong...remember, this is a small cockpit...it tends to humidify on the plastic, even when I used it with all windows up and top down...I do have a windscreen also.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
90% of the time I leave it on fresh air. I use recirculate mainly when lets say I'm driving behind a stinking car--(fumes) or (smoke) exhaust, smoke from a diesel truck or bus exhaust, or any other smelly air, or just to keep any and all "outside" odors and smells from getting into my vehicle--Otherwise, fresh air it is--I'm pretty sure it does not effect your mileage one way or the other--

·
Registered
65 Posts
In the oold days it was thought that AC would put a load on the engine thus using more gas. This is no longer true with todays cars. I run my AC on recycled air all the time because I like it to be very cool (my choice).

Tip: When you first get into your car and it is hot out lower all the windows, turn on the AC and drive that way for a couple of minutes. This helps to force the warmer air out of the vehicle quicker.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
If you have recirculate turned on (press center button... light in middle comes on) your a/c is on regardless of the state of the left hand button.

If you want a/c without recirculation, you must press the left button so the a/c light comes on and press the center button so the recirculate light goes off.

With recirculate on, a/c is turned off (but blower remains on) when the vent switch is turned to certain settings (the last two to the right as I recall).

All clear now? :)

On more thing... running a/c in recirculate mode with the top down may lead to cold water dripping on your right foot.

·
Super Moderator
6,465 Posts
Using the AC does put a load on the engine, and will reduce fuel mileage. What has been measured, and I have successfully tested this myself in other vehicles, is that at highway speeds, the drag from the AC compressor is equal to or less than the drag from open windows. Cars are a lot more aerodynamic than they used to be. Driving around town, your mileage will be lower if you use AC.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Using the AC does put a load on the engine, and will reduce fuel mileage. What has been measured, and I have successfully tested this myself in other vehicles, is that at highway speeds, the drag from the AC compressor is equal to or less than the drag from open windows. Cars are a lot more aerodynamic than they used to be. Driving around town, your mileage will be lower if you use AC.
:agree:

Energy won't come out of the air, you need gas for cooling.
There was a test just some weeks ago in Autobild Nr.26 on A/C's consumption of gas in different cars.
The test result was shown in L/100km gas increase. Converted in mls/gl it would be a reduce in fuel mileage between 0.5 to 2.0 mls/gl.
Open windows spoiling the aerodynamic could be the same or even more.

Best method of highest gas saving is

- Top up
- Windows closed
- A/C off . :D

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
i agree with the "A/C puts a load on the engine" theory.

An A/C compressor that's driven by a belt powered by the engine, is going to put a load on it.

Little test.......accelerating onto a highway leave the a/c off. Half way up the onramp, keeping the accelerator at the same level, turn on the a/c. You'll feel it kick on, and you can actually feel the load on the engine, as well as the performance decrease.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Best method of highest gas saving is

- Top up
- Windows closed
- A/C off . :D
hhhmmmmmmmmmmm. Don't think I'm that concerned about my gas mileage afterall!!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts