Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had to inspect our convertable top as the driver side behind the window was no longer holding the top in the correct position. There was a gap of about 1 inch between the window and the top and it was loose to the point it felt like something had broke inside on the mechanism. What I found was a support had broken free from a ball and joint, that is to say the plastic joint had popped off the ball and was causing the top to lack the support it needed to close properly. Fortunatly the joint snapped back on after applying some pressure. It just snapped back on to the ball.

Top fixed. As you lower the top into the rear compartment, be carefull not to pull outwward on this area. The reason the support obviously came off. I don't believe it has caused any damage and even if it did, the joint is a very small plastic part that I'm sure could be replaced with little fanfare.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I had this issue, and the part was popped back together three times. The inner workings of the top needed to be adjusted so that there wasn't excessive pressure on the plastic joint. I've had no problems since. Bring it to the dealer's attention at your next service appointment.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reedred said:
I had this issue, and the part was popped back together three times. The inner workings of the top needed to be adjusted so that there wasn't excessive pressure on the plastic joint. I've had no problems since. Bring it to the dealer's attention at your next service appointment.
Good to know! There seems to be a lot of adjustment in the inner workings of the top.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had to have that part replaced, too. It works a whole lot better now.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reedred said:
Brace popped out again today. Guess it's to the dealer to have them look at it.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My service writer used to repair convertible tops in vettes, so he had a lot of experience that came in very handy for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Turk said:
Today I had to inspect our convertable top as the driver side behind the window was no longer holding the top in the correct position. There was a gap of about 1 inch between the window and the top and it was loose to the point it felt like something had broke inside on the mechanism. What I found was a support had broken free from a ball and joint, that is to say the plastic joint had popped off the ball and was causing the top to lack the support it needed to close properly. Fortunatly the joint snapped back on after applying some pressure. It just snapped back on to the ball.

Top fixed. As you lower the top into the rear compartment, be carefull not to pull outwward on this area. The reason the support obviously came off. I don't believe it has caused any damage and even if it did, the joint is a very small plastic part that I'm sure could be replaced with little fanfare.
My dealer had this exact same thing happen to the one I test drove. The support arm broke and they had to replace it. I had a gap in the same place and was afraid the same thing was happening. But come to find out, the top was sometimes shifting when I would latch it, causing it not to sit in the right spot. If that had continued to happen, it may have eventually caused some damage. Thank goodness my awesome service rep set me straight!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Top Not Working Correctly...

Hi,

I got my Sky about 5 weeks ago and the first day I had it that arm broke. If you look through the forum you will see a very detailed explanation of what happened as well as pictures. For me it was on the passenger side.

I had to have the part replaced. It has been 3 weeks since then and now that is fine.

Now I just have new issues which will be addressed by the dealer tomorrow. I will be posting them shortly for everyone to know about.

Good luck

Duhricker

·
Registered
78 Posts
Food for thought

I had a sky customer come in last week with a roof "issue". The top was not sealing around the windows properlyand causing a god awful wind noise. I did some deep inspecting and found the roof frame to be bent. warranty does not warrant things that get "bent". The owners manual is completely wrong as how to lift and lower the roof. Always lift and lower the roof from the center at the latch. No where else, or you will pay the price down the road. At 3,900 dollars it will make you think twice. :thumbs:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts