Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound like a silly questions/comment. But, as excited as I am about getting a Sky, I'm still waffling over something as simple as keeping the car clean. I've got a 1996 Ford Explorer now and the body is still in great shape because I take it to the car wash at least once a month, more if needed especially in the winter to get the salt and sand off of it. I'm concerned about the convertible top on the Sky. I've been told you can't take it through a automated car wash. I just wanted to ping the group here and see what the concensus was on using automated car washes with cars like the Solsice and Sky. Do--able or not? I know I can always wash/wax by hand but I'm more concerned about the under-carriage in terms of salt and sand removal in the winter.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hey Brad...

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea about your question, so therefore, I am just as curious. I do live in Southern California, so I don't need to worry about underneath my car. But about the washing thing, that, I do wonder about.

We've got a pretty diligent group of folks here that will surely have someone that can answer your question. I look forward to the response myself.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
bmcneely0 said:
This is going to sound like a silly questions/comment. But, as excited as I am about getting a Sky, I'm still waffling over something as simple as keeping the car clean. I've got a 1996 Ford Explorer now and the body is still in great shape because I take it to the car wash at least once a month, more if needed especially in the winter to get the salt and sand off of it. I'm concerned about the convertible top on the Sky. I've been told you can't take it through a automated car wash. I just wanted to ping the group here and see what the concensus was on using automated car washes with cars like the Solsice and Sky. Do--able or not? I know I can always wash/wax by hand but I'm more concerned about the under-carriage in terms of salt and sand removal in the winter.

Thanks,
Brad

I was wondering about this issue also as this will be my first convertible.... automatic or hand wash. I would prefer the automated car wash out of pure laziness versus hand washing. We have automatic car washes here that are "brushless". It's an arm with several spray jets that goes completely around and underneath the car to rinse/wash/wax it. I would think this would be safe to use on a soft top car....anyone know for sure!!?? The other option is washing by hand using the power washers to get underneath the car. Either way I'm curious what others think.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Weiners...all

Fellows:

How can you even think of having a sports car and allowing some machine or other non-you person to wash it? Gad! Even as swell as modern factory paint jobs are, it's pretty unthinkable to even entertain the idea of non-owner-hand-wash.

Also-it's just good sense not to take a convertable to an automated wash, even though that just off Beach by Knott's is really swell.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The question is UNDERCARRIaGE.. No hand wash I know get UNDER the car. This is teh question being asked.

As for me -- Salt hits the road? :nono: Sky hits the garage... :driving:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Things gotta get washed in the winter.... No other way but the car wash...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts