Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mechanism for the top includes a cable that connects to the rectangular body flaps located behind the headrests. These flaps have to be open for the top to put up and locked in place. There is a little plastic piece that retains the hook end of the flap cable in its hole on the bottom of the flap. I have had three of these break in the 3 years I have owned my Sky. Previously there was a dealer that just fixed it for me, so I had no idea what the part is. Yesterday I went to a Chevy dealer to see if I could get a replacement. Even with the appropriate diagrams, neither of us could figure out a part number. He knew his stuff, though, and recognized the part from the tailgate latch on a Silverado pickup. It is a fit. You can use GM part # 88981030 in that application for a Saturn. :thumbs:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Though I’ve yet to experience such, good to know.
:thumbs:

Thanks for the investigative research!

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Some of these parts are also in the doors.
LLLFLY

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Here you go

Read this

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/need-help-finding-part-top-41091/

The key info is

This was discussed on one of the forums about 18 months ago when I was heavy into collecting parts. There is a thread that has pictures and the part number. The clips cost about $3 each. I have a dozen at home

Best source with pictures is here

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/507301-post8.html

Clip part# 15290793
Both sides same part in red. One just goes in upside down

top wont close

Convertible Top Issue - Pontiac Solstice Forum

As an alternative, you can also buy the entire cable assembly. They come with the clips already installed. Since most people are not experiencing any failures at all and you are having them repeatedly, I would take a careful look at the entire mechanism to see if you have a cable sticking or a problem with the anchor point on the flap that is causing this problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Love the Forum

This is great information. The Chevy dealer is clueless and wanted to replace assembles and possible the top, over $1000 estimated. I am going to try these first! When I pull on the cables with friend help while closing, everything works!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Just bough a couple bushings last week. The shipping/handleing is twice as much as the part so you might as well buy several at a time

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem. Went to AutoZone and they told me the basic design for the clip is very common and lots of car parts are held in place by similar clips. They sold me an assortment made by a company called Doorman. One of the clips fit perfectly. Cost me less than $5.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
fix that top problem, quick and easy

Let me save you all a lot of trouble. After looking on line at auto parts stores, in amazon, on ebay, and more, I found this simple little part at NAPA locally. It was ON THE SHELF and cost $4.00 for each side and the man was nice enough to clip them on Several of the references above are wrong. Try this, I just did it ONE hour ago. NAPA part # 735-2786. Get the right number, a number of these clips are out there and they are different sizes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem. Went to AutoZone and they told me the basic design for the clip is very common and lots of car parts are held in place by similar clips. They sold me an assortment made by a company called Doorman. One of the clips fit perfectly. Cost me less than $5.
This was SO helpful! Thank you for posting. Just got the last one at a local O'Reilly's. Will get another set tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts