Saturn Skyline Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot about changing the coolant in our cars, and that it needs to be done at a 5year interval. What I did't know is that there is an easy way to check your coolant to see if it really does need to be changed. I haven't changed mine on my 08 redline yet so I tested today and it is still fine but I will change it in the spring. The test is easy to do just loosen the coolant cap and start the car to let it get to normal operating temp. use a volt meter set to 20 volt dc and put the positive probe in the coolant and the negative probe to the negative side of the battery if you have less than .04 volts your coolant is fine mine showed .02-.03 that's why I will change it in the spring.The car has just under 24k on it. Just putting that info. out there in case anyone is interested.:cheers:

·
4,973 Posts
Ten years seems old for Dex Cool regardless of condition. Also, isn't air the killer of Dex Cool? I can't say I'm in favor of running the engine with the system open.

Oh, and, I think you meant to say 0.4 V, and not 0.04 V.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
The test is easy to do just loosen the coolant cap and start the car to let it get to normal operating temp.
Oh you really, REALLY should not do this! The coolant system is pressurized, so if you remove that pressure, you can/will get localized boiling in the coolant passages, which results in bubbles, which results in overheating issues down the line. Then you have to do a full coolant bleed - which can be VERY difficult in our cars.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
I've had my SKY for 8 years (bought it used), and had the coolant flushed by the dealer at 4 year intervals. No coolant system problems. Money well spent.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ten years seems old for Dex Cool regardless of condition. Also, isn't air the killer of Dex Cool? I can't say I'm in favor of running the engine with the system open.

Oh, and, I think you meant to say 0.4 V, and not 0.04 V.
You're right I did mean .4v. I only ran it for maybe 5 min.until it reached 86 C. plus I plan on having it changed in the spring I tightened the cap as soon as I finished the test so when the coolant cools it will create a vacuum so it will be fine. Of course now that I have put it away for the winter it was 27C today.:frown:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts