Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Less than one week lasted my happiness.
my “new” saturn sky redline (Opel gt) has some over temperature problems and after spend some days reading some owners I realized this is one of the most common problems in these cars.

I have been driving my car during some months with no problem in all kind of conditions; highways, mountain roads, slow, fast, etc.. and the temperature always has been Between 195-220
a Couple of days ago, after just some minutes of driving and once the engine was stopped I found a large amount of coolant In the garage floor that clearly came out from the overflow tube.

after a cooling time and refill the tank to the normal level, I drove for a while to see the temperature that went up to about 248. at that time I decided stop the engine.

Once at home, tried to remove the air from the circuit with this procedure

but nothing change in the coolant Level on the reservoir. (no air, I guess)

the fan radiator works. At least I can heard it clearly even a while after the engine is turned off.

today, looking for some leaks or other signals, I have found, a big plastic bag was covering about 25 or 30 perfect of the radiator surface.
once removed I have seen that, curiously, the bag was for some snacks that expired on 2018 and were made in the same city were I bought the car so, probably this plastic bag has been there for years.
anyhow I removed the plastic bag and started the engine in my garage, playing with the throttle between idle and 2500 rpm With the hope that, now without the plastic bag, the thinks change.
the temperature went up slowy, until 240 and I decided to stop the car. My plan was to have a real test on the road, instead that in the garage, but I didn’t do it because surprisingly after stop the engine, again, a large amount of coolant has losen for the overflow hose in the reservoir.

two days ago I was thinking to replace the thermostat, but after what has happened today, and after reach “only” 240F probably the problem is not the thermosta, but is air on the system And probably the explanation is that during the purge I did something wrong.
(I can not even imagine the problem is something more serious)

when the engine is cooling down, I can hear clearly liquid sound on the hoses (air I suppose)

any help would be really appreciated.
(sorry so much for my bad English 🤭)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Was your cooling fan kicking in? If it was then it does look like air in the system, happened to me before.
Do this procedure, go for a drive and let it warm up, then let it cool down and do it again maybe twice. The second time i did this and went for a drive my coolant reservoir was almost bone dry, there was tons of air in the system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This morning I have done a longe purge and went for a ride.
the temperature went up but it takes longer than before. (I know this because I drive always the same circular track that finish at home when engine is about 210 and this time have taken the next exit)
temoerature was going up and down until certain Moment that has reach 239 and I stopped the car.
That was what I found.

fan were working and the Engine cooled down slowly.
once the temperature reached 200 I drove to home, and the temperature in the first couple of minutes was down but after that went up quickly. I found a save place to park, and stopped as soon as I could but the temperature reached 266.
Warning¡
low Coolant level!
I should wait for a long time to cooled down. There was no coolant in the reservoir.
after a long time and with the temperature below 190 I drove the last 500 meters to arrive at home.
when I started the engine this last time, during a couple of seconds a message popped up “low power mode” or something like this. two Or three seconds later, the message disappears.

now there is no coolant in the reservoir so, pretty sure I have to purge the air again......

probably I will remove the thermostat and will drive to see if this can be the reason,

any suggestion for sure will be welcome
regards

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Check for weeping around the water pump (front of the engine on the passenger side). Your pump could be leaking when hot and pumping the coolant out while driving.

If not that, then you may have had bubbles in the engine block or cabin heater core, that have now been pushed out (at least, mostly). Let the engine get FULLY COLD and open the tank and refill to the middle mold line. Drive again to check.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sometimes you might not see liquid coolant, but an orange, jelly-like substance. It's usually very dark orange if you don't see any liquid. Also if you didn't use an ACDelco thermostat, other brand have been known to cause an overheat condition in our cars at times.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check for weeping around the water pump (front of the engine on the passenger side). Your pump could be leaking when hot and pumping the coolant out while driving.

If not that, then you may have had bubbles in the engine block or cabin heater core, that have now been pushed out (at least, mostly). Let the engine get FULLY COLD and open the tank and refill to the middle mold line. Drive again to check.
thanks.
the pump looks good, in fact was replaced 5k miles ago.

I decided to replace the thermostat despite of the fact thar, after dismounted and tested, worked fine, but after the tedious job I prefered to replace (I don’t want to do this job again.......with the famous metálic clamp of the hose.....)

after the thermostat replacement I purged the system Again; tried the method to rise the reservoir but didn’t work so, used a compressor to force the coolant inlet by low air pressure.
finally I could heard the liquid go inside and the level going down.

Surprisingly I just add about 5 liters of coolant (I have another bottle not used yet) when the manual says 9 liters of capacity.
I saw the hose below of the thermostat and suppose the pump, turbo hoses, etc were not totally empty. I guess this should be the reason.

in the end, with The circuit full of coolant with the help of the air compressed, I have test the car in my garage.

today we have 95 degrees, at idle most of the time but also reving from time to time.
the temperature was going up with progressively with no jumps or going up and downs. The air heater inside worked (no too hot to be honest) and after 15 or 20 minutes the max temperature reached was 240. At that moment I decided to stop the engine.

just an small amount of coolant flow for the overpressure Tube compared with the day before,

i suppose that all this think means that i the Process has To be done at least one more time.
is that correct ?

thanks for you support

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes you might not see liquid coolant, but an orange, jelly-like substance. It's usually very dark orange if you don't see any liquid. Also if you didn't use an ACDelco thermostat, other brand have been known to cause an overheat condition in our cars at times.
thanks, I specifically asked in Opel the ACDelco thermostat, arrived a different brand. The guy of the dealership said this Is the only one they can provide (opel gt is like an UFO for most Opel dealers). I decided take it without discussion

pump looks ok. Many thanks for the idea

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have the check valves installed?
No, I don’t have it. But just ordered right now. Thanks
are they really work ?
i just saw the internal diameter of these valves I am surprised the flow is not reduced drastically. do you have it installed ? Did you see the difference in maintenance or temperatures?

thanks

·
Registered
526 Posts
The internal diameter is tiny. But they are meant to keep air from re-entering the system. The hoses they are installed in are for expansion and not part of the active cooling of the system.

They work, but over many engine cycles. They are not the silver bullet to solve large pockets of air in the system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got a second purge and go for a ride.
i would say that i am not so happy with the result. It last longer to heat up, but it does.
after the ride, once arrive to the garage, the temperature reach 231 and the coolant level at reservoir was clearly increased.
stopped the car and let them cool down until tomorrow.

i am lost.

i took per granted that pump was not the problem because was changed last year with 54000m for the previous owner (I have the invoice per 450 eur; 60 Eur pump plus Labour hours) and now has 57800 miles but now, after your suggestions just been at the garage and discovered This.

21538B2A-F55C-4D66-829C-EF4C8851F27E.jpeg
FA03B1FE-E7D7-40E0-A0AF-09DF2E17F16E.jpeg
8C97FE46-6233-4BDC-9744-E5F8A74612BB.jpeg
5D35B725-1608-4F42-850F-A8478F042FF4.jpeg

Tomorrow I will take better pictures.
what do you think?
thanks

·
Registered
503 Posts
Is the dark orange jelly like substance a bad sign? If so, what is it a bad sign of?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
It's dark orange because there's been a leak of coolant which has dried/evaporated, leaving the concentrated colorant.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would you say that what appears in the picture is a leak?

i have an invoice of a pump replacement 4000 miles and one year ago. I want to believe these are rests from that replacrment, but I have no experience in this

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
Would you say that what appears in the picture is a leak?

i have an invoice of a pump replacement 4000 miles and one year ago. I want to believe these are rests from that replacrment, but I have no experience in this
It looks dried and "old" to me, but it is not easy to see from the picture.

I think that if it was a current leak you would see a wet area, and not just a stain. Perhaps yu should wash it off to see if it comes back.

People have reported that the only sure way to purge the system is with a vacuum device. Others have used the "normal' procedure fur or five times before they had success. Some people, of course, have no problems at all.

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
One thing I'd mention to the OP is when the car come ls up to 190 or higher, feel the lower radiator hose that runs from the drivers side of the bottom of the radiator, around the engine on the driver's side, then around back to the thermostat housing on the rear passenger side of the engine.

If your temps are above 199 and that hose is cool to the touch, your thermostat isn't opening. I would see temps up to 230 and that hose was cool....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all, today I tried to flush and refill the coolant again, but this has not change.
next week I will go to the workshop to see if the can solve it.
I will keep you informed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Short update
Looks the Problem is found it.
the chain of the water pump is totally loose, probably the tensioner or the guide is broken.

B747064B-E258-4797-B488-DE49FB7B140D.jpeg

we have ordered the timing and water pump tensioner, chain guides and even a new pump.
according the documentation I got with the car from the previous owner, the pump was already replaced month Ago, but I don’t won’t to take any risk.
In fact also the timing chain, tensioner and guides will be replaced too

there are only two small thinks I still being afraid about; one is to be sure the workshop do the job correctly. The second one is to be sure that after the overheating Issue, the engine was not damage.

if everything goes well this week, I will celebrate with my first track day with the car fully stock on Sunday 😈

1 - 20 of 23 Posts