Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let's hope this is nothing significant said every person working on their car ever.
What's happening: Coolant leak on the passenger side.

Relevant details:
  • 2008 / 72,000 miles / Took ownership 2 weeks ago / Was in California up until 7 months ago / Entire undercarriage was pristine 2 weeks ago
  • Noticed power steering fluid (PSF) was black and milky 2 weeks ago, replaced PSF 2 weeks ago, PSF now light brown and milky.
  • PSF was changed due to steering vibrating at extreme ends of turning.
  • Coolant has been clean orange looking the entire time.
  • Low coolant message 1 week ago, filled coolant to appropriate level 5 days ago, low coolant message today.
  • No puddle until today (passenger side).
  • Seems to only leak when on.
  • Radiator looks good (to my untrained eye).
  • My first guess is water pump or leak into PSF system.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looks to be in the water pump area to me. Any coolant residue around the weep hole on the WP? I'm sure you have already read up on what this entails to fix?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can borrow a pressure tester from Autozone. Pump the system to the rated pressure on the cap. That way you can look right at the spot where the leak is.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks to be in the water pump area to me. Any coolant residue around the weep hole on the WP? I'm sure you have already read up on what this entails to fix?
A new one from ZZP is $50, so I'm just going to replace it.
I need a water pump, gasket for it, and new hoses.
Anything else?

·
Registered
186 Posts
A new one from ZZP is $50, so I'm just going to replace it.
I need a water pump, gasket for it, and new hoses.
Anything else?
Another $800 dollars to have somebody else do the job for you!

I’ve changed a water pump on almost every vehicle I have ever owned. 2 hours max and maybe you need a loaner tool from autozone for a fan nut. This is the first car that I’m not too confidant I’m going to do the work myself with everything that is involved. I’m also way too cheap to pay someone $800 to replace a water pump though, so I’m sure this job is somewhere in my future too. The PO of my Sky only owned it 4 months and bought it from a dealership who got it from the first owner on trade. So I have no idea if mine was ever replaced.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another $800 dollars to have somebody else do the job for you!

I’ve changed a water pump on almost every vehicle I have ever owned. 2 hours max and maybe you need a loaner tool from autozone for a fan nut. This is the first car that I’m not too confidant I’m going to do the work myself with everything that is involved. I’m also way too cheap to pay someone $800 to replace a water pump though, so I’m sure this job is somewhere in my future too. The PO of my Sky only owned it 4 months and bought it from a dealership who got it from the first owner on trade. So I have no idea if mine was ever replaced.
My car friend found this online!

·
Registered
129 Posts
From GM Parts Direct a water pump is listed for $162.68 about $100.00 more. It would make me wonder if there is a quality difference between the two? I truly hate doing the same job twice. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I did a search for a water pump and found this thread. There is a lot of information on this forum!!

Water pump which one

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From GM Parts Direct a water pump is listed for $162.68 about $100.00 more. It would make me wonder if there is a quality difference between the two? I truly hate doing the same job twice. Thoughts anyone?
I did a search for a water pump and found this thread. There is a lot of information on this forum!!

Water pump which one
Nice!
So weird thing, everything I've seen so far says it will be about a 2 hour job, but my car friend says it will be around 6-7 hours.
I imagine he's definitely right for me, because I'm new at this, I will probably go incredibly slow.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Finally got the car jacked up. Holy crap I had no idea how much of a pain in the ass it would be. Especially in a hot garage in Arizona...

I think the weeping hole is there, and it is one of the leaks. Looks like the gasket is leaking too.

Edit: my auto friend said it looked like a freeze plug. Anyone else's input is welcome.
Edit 2: there is VERY little online about LNF engines and freeze plugs. I read on a forum it doesn't have those... Is that true?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Out of curiosity I looked at DDMWORKS for water pumps, thinking perhaps they would have a “higher performing” water pump, they had an O/E water pump on their site. If a shop like DDM is selling O/E, it might be worth a call to them for their reasoning and/or recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
It looks to me like DDM's recommendation is for the OE pump. Probably because it is the highest quality available.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Don't forget to grab a tool to hold the timing chain when you remove the pump as listed in the DDM instructions you posted. The full face one instead of the half circle is preferred by many of us.

Here it is listed on Snap-on but you can buy it cheaper elsewhere.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You should be able to get the WP out without removing the turbo or exhaust. But....if you can't, the 2 hour job above turns into an 8 hour nightmare.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Out of curiosity I looked at DDMWORKS for water pumps, thinking perhaps they would have a “higher performing” water pump, they had an O/E water pump on their site. If a shop like DDM is selling O/E, it might be worth a call to them for their reasoning and/or recommendations.
It looks to me like DDM's recommendation is for the OE pump. Probably because it is the highest quality available.
I bought the ZZP one. I'm uncertain of it's OEM status. I will update once I receive it. While $50 seems too low, Rock Auto has them for as cheap as $30. Take that for what you will. I imagine GM will always recommend OEM for everything.

Don't forget to grab a tool to hold the timing chain when you remove the pump as listed in the DDM instructions you posted. The full face one instead of the half circle is preferred by many of us.

Here it is listed on Snap-on but you can buy it cheaper elsewhere.

I already bought the half circle. Thank you for the link. I'll add it to the Kappa parts list spreadsheet.

You should be able to get the WP out without removing the turbo or exhaust. But....if you can't, the 2 hour job above turns into an 8 hour nightmare.
Wouldn't that be something... :oops:
My car friend is coming over today to 100% verify it's the pump. I plan on swapping everything out anyway. We'll remove the hood to get better access to everything.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I already bought the half circle. Thank you for the link. I'll add it to the Kappa parts list spreadsheet.
The full circle ones are better. If you use the half-circle one, tape over the open half before you do anything else. You'd be suprised at how many folks have dropped one of the bolts inside the engine via that open half!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wonderful thing about cellphone 📱 camera’s..... they make it easy to document the process.... step by step pictures..... makes reassembly easier. I also use magnetic 🧲 trays for bolts/parts.... so nothing gets misplaced..... Just me being a bit OCD....... My godfather was on an Indy Crew and said he wished they had cellphones with cameras 📸 back in the day...... I learned to listen 👂 to him .......the hard way....

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The full circle ones are better. If you use the half-circle one, tape over the open half before you do anything else. You'd be suprised at how many folks have dropped one of the bolts inside the engine via that open half!
Wonderful thing about cellphone 📱 camera’s..... they make it easy to document the process.... step by step pictures..... makes reassembly easier. I also use magnetic 🧲 trays for bolts/parts.... so nothing gets misplaced..... Just me being a bit OCD....... My godfather was on an Indy Crew and said he wished they had cellphones with cameras 📸 back in the day...... I learned to listen 👂 to him .......the hard way....
I'm reading everything I can and consulting friends, uncles, and videos. I'm legit getting excited to do this work on MY car. WHOOOOOP!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts