Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how much it would cost to replace the top? I love the tan/black seat combo but not to thrilled with the tan top - would prefer black. My current understanding is that I cant just specifiy I want a black top with black/tan interior (please correct me if I am wrong - becauase I hope my sales guy is wrong) but if my sales guy is correct how much would it cost me to purchase a black top and have it installed ????

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Don't know if this is possible, but you might inquire at a local upholstry/top shop about the possibilty of dying your tan top black. I'm sure it would be cheaper than replacing the top.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I'd be real careful about going to "the neighborhood upholstery shop."

The SKY is a peculiar beast. The top with the drains for the trunk seam, having to fully retract in the trunk... It's quite a piece of work. If this was a bug or an old MG or something where the top just flapped around behind the seats I might trust and average schmoe to make a new one from scratch.

But with all the intracate twists and turns and water-runoff-duties that this top has to perform, I'd only go with getting anoter factory top myself.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I would want it to be factory with all of those drains. I do see your point. I was thinking more simplistic like an MG. Wonder how much it would be for a factory replacement installed by the dealership ???

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
ineedmorebotox said:
Does anybody know how much it would cost to replace the top? I love the tan/black seat combo but not to thrilled with the tan top - would prefer black. My current understanding is that I cant just specifiy I want a black top with black/tan interior (please correct me if I am wrong - becauase I hope my sales guy is wrong) but if my sales guy is correct how much would it cost me to purchase a black top and have it installed ????
advertize you would like to swap tops with someone, maybe someone out there would like the tan top.... they all you have to pay for is the labor to swap them out

·
Registered
804 Posts
I seem to remember someone saying the replacement for a Sol was about $1400, so seeing the Sky has the same top, I would think it would be in the same ball park. You might get a little less if you 'trade' the top in...so to speak.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Black & Tan

I just imaged today, 6/1, and I selected:

Black Exterior
Black Top
Black & Tan Interior

I talked over my order with the GM of Saturn of Olathe and he said it wasn't a problem to change the top color to black. However, if you order Black/Tan interior it defaults to Tan. I didn't like the tan top with blk tan interior as the colors are just enough off to notice.

Hope that helps.

I should have mine in 3-4 weeks! Just in time for the meet in Kansas City. Great since I live there and won't have to drive farhttp://www.skyroadster.com/forums/images/smilies/smile5.gif
:)

Skylar - ready and waiting to Roll!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SKYLAR said:
I just imaged today, 6/1, and I selected:

Black Exterior
Black Top
Black & Tan Interior

I talked over my order with the GM of Saturn of Olathe and he said it wasn't a problem to change the top color to black. However, if you order Black/Tan interior it defaults to Tan. I didn't like the tan top with blk tan interior as the colors are just enough off to notice.

Hope that helps.

I should have mine in 3-4 weeks! Just in time for the meet in Kansas City. Great since I live there and won't have to drive farhttp://www.skyroadster.com/forums/images/smilies/smile5.gif
:)

Skylar - ready and waiting to Roll!
Skylar I am liking you more and MORE - you are really telling me things I need to know!!!!! you are the BOMB! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
ineedmorebotox said:
Skylar I am liking you more and MORE - you are really telling me things I need to know!!!!! you are the BOMB! :thumbs:
If you want to get Midnight Blue, the Tan/Black interior comes ONLY with Tan top. Black Onyx is the ONLY exterior color where you can mix and match interiors and top colors. :eek:

Not what you want to hear but it is the way it IS.

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SKY Spy said:
If you want to get Midnight Blue, the Tan/Black interior comes ONLY with Tan top. Black Onyx is the ONLY exterior color where you can mix and match interiors and top colors. :eek:

Not what you want to hear but it is the way it IS.

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:
Dang it! I really wish you werent right all the time and then I wouldnt have to beleive you...........Guess I need to buy the black top on that salvage car.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You imaged today and you expect delivery in 3 or 4 weeks. That seems optomistic to me. I don't think anyone on this fourm has gone from image to delivery in that short of time and I've beem hanging around here since September.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Maverick said:
You imaged today and you expect delivery in 3 or 4 weeks. That seems optomistic to me. I don't think anyone on this fourm has gone from image to delivery in that short of time and I've beem hanging around here since September.
:agree: My thoughts, exactly...but I didn't want to be the one to say it. :D My car was just built 2 days ago, and I'll be lucky if I see it in 3-4 weeks! :willy: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DRS said:
Oh man. I've got the combonation you hate. And it's gorgeous. To each his own.
Okay - I need to explain my crazy rationale :) If I purchased a base Sky the tan would be fine. But the RedLine has the black bezel headlights, more chrome, etc. and I just think the black top would match the RedLine version better. The reason for the black/tan seats. I think the two tone looks a little richer and I live in Arkansas. For those of you who dont know its HOT in the summer in Arkansas. Solid black seats SCARE me! I had a red 'Stang with charcoal seats when I was young - great car but the interiour BAKED me in the summer. I get a big kick out of people saying they will turn on the AC once a month to keep in it order. In Arkansas I will have to drive around with AC full blast or get out of the car with my clothes stuck to me :eek: What good does it do a girl to drive a hot car and then when she gets out of the car look like roadkill ???? same reason I am doing so much research into the windscreen - I have long hair and I wanna still look good when I get out of the car :thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts