Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know - crazy question but this is the first car I've owned that I actually want to hand wash instead of going through the car wash. Soooo, my question is: what is everybody's preference for sudsing up? I've heard: dishwashing liquid, Tide liquid, actual car washing liquid..... comments?:willy:

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you use a dishwashing liquid it will remove the wax. Car wash soaps are designed not to do this. I use Zaino products on my car so I did you dishwashing soap the FIRST time I washed it, to get a clean base to start with... remove any waxes or sprays put on by the manufacturers or dealer. Then I put on the wax. I always now use a special car wash soap. I want the wax to "build up" as each thin layer fills in the tiny scratches in the layer below. At least that is how it works in my mind.

I do not wash the top. I know they make special formulas for washing cloth tops, but I have not investigated them yet.
:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Unless you want to strip the wax off the finish never use a household detergent to wash your car, only use a soap made for washing cars.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Use a soap designed for your car, not for dishes. Dishwashing soap is too harsh, unless you really want to strip off all the wax. Even so, there are products for that as well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
SkyBella said:
I know - crazy question but this is the first car I've owned that I actually want to hand wash instead of going through the car wash. Soooo, my question is: what is everybody's preference for sudsing up? I've heard: dishwashing liquid, Tide liquid, actual car washing liquid..... comments?:willy:
ANY GOOD CAR WASH SOAP WILL WORK. IT'S SHOULD JUST BE MILD. you can find it in Walmart on even Auto Zone. Should not be real expensive.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My hubby refuses to use any kind of soap on our cars...:rolleyes: He claims that they all leave a residue. So he will only use plain old water and a microfiber sponge.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Soap will surround the dirt particles and lubricate them and the car surface so the dirt particles don't scratch the car finish. Using a good car soap is better in my opinion.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is NOT a crazy question.:thumbs: I have seen the bad effects of soaps on other vehicles and frankly on my kayaks as well. The advice so far is "spot on" as the 'Brits would say.....I like a quality product, mild car soap and I make damn sure there are no issues with the sponge....I never use the same ones to wash a vehicle as I use for wheels. You can trap particles that can and will scratch your finish so always take care to wash out/rinse your sponges as well and not to cross them up....its a bit anal but.....:D

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
:agree:
CUINOZ said:
This is NOT a crazy question.:thumbs: I have seen the bad effects of soaps on other vehicles and frankly on my kayaks as well. The advice so far is "spot on" as the 'Brits would say.....I like a quality product, mild car soap and I make damn sure there are no issues with the sponge....I never use the same ones to wash a vehicle as I use for wheels. You can trap particles that can and will scratch your finish so always take care to wash out/rinse your sponges as well and not to cross them up....its a bit anal but.....:D
i use a mild car soap .. a car wash mit for the tires n wheels and a lamb thing for the car it self car first then the tires n wheels lsat same goes with the shammy thing i have 2 one for the car and one for the dark plastic inside the door sill and rims

·
Registered
138 Posts
i agree, use any good quality car wash. but first "clay" it. you will be amazed at the result.still waiting in canada:brentil:

·
Registered
802 Posts
motocrash said:
If you use a dishwashing liquid it will remove the wax. Car wash soaps are designed not to do this. I use Zaino products on my car so I did you dishwashing soap the FIRST time I washed it, to get a clean base to start with... remove any waxes or sprays put on by the manufacturers or dealer. Then I put on the wax. I always now use a special car wash soap. I want the wax to "build up" as each thin layer fills in the tiny scratches in the layer below. At least that is how it works in my mind.

I do not wash the top. I know they make special formulas for washing cloth tops, but I have not investigated them yet.
:)
ssshhhhhh...You are giving away secrets...

·
Registered
388 Posts
I use P21S conditioning car shampoo. It's like hair care for your car. Very mild so it won't strip off your wax and it smells like green apples. Use a good wool mitt or microfiber mitt. Pre-soak the car with water so when you wash it you're not rubbing the dirt into the paint - the cause of swirl marks. Go to Autopia.com for complete step by step for a perfect finish.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Use the Mr. Clean car wash wand, and hand wash top with Raggs Top cleaner and when dry, spary on their repellent...:thumbs:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I really do not have time to wash my car the way I want. I have a Car Wash Chain called the CAR SPA in Dallas, TX. I asked them about this just 2 weeks ago. They have a special offer for only 19.99 of doing a complete hand wash of the car. Plus clean the interior.
Now I may not do this every week. But I am thinking 20 dollars is nothing compared to the amazing looks I get when this car is clean and cruising around.
I plan to keep it covered in my parking garage most of the week. Bring it out on weekends.
You might want to check your local (High-End) Car Wash to see if they can do a hand wash. May save you the time and energy.

I know that many people on this forum plan to clean their SKYs themselves. In truth the car is so small it would be easy, but its so fun to go to the car wash with a car like this and see the people drool over it. Its like paying to see a great movie. Just wish I was not married sometimes to use it to my advantage. :) :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Don't use one of the cotton hand mittens when you wash the top. I did and it left little white fuzz balls that I had to brush and vacuum off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Beautiful.

Hi guys. Well, after some eye-rolling from my boyfriend, I purchased some car wash (his comment: "i've been washing my bmw with dishwashing liquid for 7 years and my car looks gorgeous" - it actually does, but sheesh, its a SKY!). I wetted, I washed, I buffed, I sprayed, I dried, I vaccummed... I spent about 1 1/2 hours cleaning my tiny little car! Then I drove it bare-foot into the garage to not get any marks from my wet shoes on the floor mats. BUT it looks amazing! Of course, I drove in this morning avoiding any tiny puddles in the road!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't think there is much difference between the car washes out there, I've always liked Wesley's or Blue Coral and a gallon of the stuff is under $5. I only use a sponge on the tires and rims, and only use a soft cotton rag to wash the car. Old soft tee shirts work well. I dry the car with a fluffy terry towel. Any lint left behind gets blown off during the first drive. My "other" passion is boating so I have had the experience of using plenty of marine cleaners, waxes and protectants. Some of those products are so good that it doesn't make sense not to use them on my cars. Best wax hands down is Collinite Fleet Wax. I've used it on my cars and boats. For the convertible top there is a product called 202 Protectant. It is designed to protect all cloth tops including convertibles, bimini tops, name it. Stuff is terrific. Just do a search for these products and read some of the testimonials, Good stuff. Think about it, if they work well in a marine envirinment with all that salt and sun then protecting your car would be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
877 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
TX-Sky said:
Don't use one of the cotton hand mittens when you wash the top. I did and it left little white fuzz balls that I had to brush and vacuum off.
Yea I too found that out the hard way. But they say that lint roller will take that off...:lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I use an SOS pad on all the painted surfaces, and polishing compound on all the rubber and trim pieces. For the really tough stains I use a wire brush, attached to a drill motor.

My car appears to be getting smaller, but I think I'm just imagining it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts