Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question, do any of your cars creak and rattle when (god forbid) you find it necessary to drive on a primitive road? sorta like a bad ball joint sound on an old ford, but i know it is not. i figure it is just the nature of a convertable, that they have a lot more chassis flex than a hardtop. please tell me yours do too....

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
quick question, do any of your cars creak and rattle when (god forbid) you find it necessary to drive on a primitive road? sorta like a bad ball joint sound on an old ford, but i know it is not. i figure it is just the nature of a convertable, that they have a lot more chassis flex than a hardtop. please tell me yours do too....
The anti-roll bar bushings are known to creak, so it could be that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
yes, i have owned many different sports cars, and this is by far the creak and rattle champion of all time

·
Registered
847 Posts
You guys just need to put your tops down. All creaks and rattles magically disappear!
TomatoSoup…. After countless hours chasing creeks and groans in my Sky….came to the sad realization that the noises weren’t coming from the car…. at the ripe young age of 60 something…the sad realization they were coming from me. 🤔

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a rattle on both sides of the interior where the seat belt enters the body panel behind the seats. Anyone know a fix for that? I am also 60 now, so it could be that I'm annoyed more easily by unwanted sounds! Ha ha!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Annoying rattles, squeaks, groans and moans, that one noisy never-ending pita to ruin you driving day-

Looks above in comments sees TS response- You just need to put your top down and everything including those annoying sounds magically disappear- poof justa likea that.
The sound of harp music enters your self awareness conscious state of mind, Meh those creaks & rattles I've been hearing lately really.. aren't all that bad now that I do think about it.
I can live with it for now- fix it later if I can?

At 66 years young- I've heard these same sounds from my own suspension parts. Sole inserts to the shoes/tires has relieved stress to the ankle/A-arms. Copper infused material applied to
shocks/knees when traversing semi-rough terrain, not that we owners would take our Sky off roading.
The re-alignment to the spine/tunnel brace has fixed that issue of concern, so no more visits to the local chiropractor/dealer is needed... maybe. Occasional topical agents applied to various areas around the cockpit wings/elbows, shoulder flexing/seats or turning radius/neck has mixed results which will vary for you on any given day.
However the best thing I've found in my many years is... B & B. Bio-freeze & bourbon.
The Marvel Mystery Oil additive for the body.

I too have a long driveway of dubious nature, filled with sink holes of epic destruction by farm machinery usage. A passage to the county road is an adventure.
I call this.. the ever so slow rolling cruise out.
Car is still warming up after the cold start growl kick down phase.
No heat or pressure built up in the tires yet.
Once out on the country lane- this changes because as TS mentioned- what creaks & rattles?

* 22 tons of gravel later driveway is better- some new asphalt by the local county gov't, with more road resurfacing on the way soon improvement for the local county road- until hitting the State funded road where life is smoother, and the creaks/ rattles have gone bye-bye.

Hard plastics, suspect workmanship, products used produce these annoying moments. Soft felt, foam rubber, bicycle innertube rubber, plumbing washer, spray lubrication, grease, silicone sealant, black electrical tape or the occasional snake oil fix all wonder liquid all 110% octane content fails in comparison to putting the top down, smiling away hearing the turbo whoosh, the exhaust, the wind, that roar of the tires against the asphalt pavement. Can you hear me creak/rattle now? Not exactly I'm to busy smiling. That's life deal with it.

Grinding sounds, metal on metal rubbing, the mis-fire of wth?
These sounds are not things to be dismissed lightly however.
If it sounds expensive- IT usually is just say'n. The next sound you do hear- is a giant sucking
sound as funds are withdrawn from your banking-c/c account of choice.
The sound of dollar bills or the creaks and rattles?
U decide which one you can live with... until proven otherwise.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Plant Sky Tree Road surface Asphalt

Annoying rattles, squeaks, groans and moans, that one noisy never-ending pita to ruin you driving day-

Looks above in comments sees TS response- You just need to put your top down and everything including those annoying sounds magically disappear- poof justa likea that.
The sound of harp music enters your self awareness conscious state of mind, Meh those creaks & rattles I've been hearing lately really.. aren't all that bad now that I do think about it.
I can live with it for now- fix it later if I can?

At 66 years young- I've heard these same sounds from my own suspension parts. Sole inserts to the shoes/tires has relieved stress to the ankle/A-arms. Copper infused material applied to
shocks/knees when traversing semi-rough terrain, not that we owners would take our Sky off roading.
The re-alignment to the spine/tunnel brace has fixed that issue of concern, so no more visits to the local chiropractor/dealer is needed... maybe. Occasional topical agents applied to various areas around the cockpit wings/elbows, shoulder flexing/seats or turning radius/neck has mixed results which will vary for you on any given day.
However the best thing I've found in my many years is... B & B. Bio-freeze & bourbon.
The Marvel Mystery Oil additive for the body.

I too have a long driveway of dubious nature, filled with sink holes of epic destruction by farm machinery usage. A passage to the county road is an adventure.
I call this.. the ever so slow rolling cruise out.
Car is still warming up after the cold start growl kick down phase.
No heat or pressure built up in the tires yet.
Once out on the country lane- this changes because as TS mentioned- what creaks & rattles?

* 22 tons of gravel later driveway is better- some new asphalt by the local county gov't, with more road resurfacing on the way soon improvement for the local county road- until hitting the State funded road where life is smoother, and the creaks/ rattles have gone bye-bye.

Hard plastics, suspect workmanship, products used produce these annoying moments. Soft felt, foam rubber, bicycle innertube rubber, plumbing washer, spray lubrication, grease, silicone sealant, black electrical tape or the occasional snake oil fix all wonder liquid all 110% octane content fails in comparison to putting the top down, smiling away hearing the turbo whoosh, the exhaust, the wind, that roar of the tires against the asphalt pavement. Can you hear me creak/rattle now? Not exactly I'm to busy smiling. That's life deal with it.

Grinding sounds, metal on metal rubbing, the mis-fire of wth?
These sounds are not things to be dismissed lightly however.
If it sounds expensive- IT usually is just say'n. The next sound you do hear- is a giant sucking
sound as funds are withdrawn from your banking-c/c account of choice.
The sound of dollar bills or the creaks and rattles?
U decide which one you can live with... until proven otherwise.
22 tons of gravel…. I can relate. Just finished getting rid of my gravel driveway and replacing it with concrete. After years playing with Rock Bands, and going to concerts, I’m amazed I can still hear 👂 anything. I do hear my wife… too often I don’t listen…. 😇…..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 120190

22 tons of gravel…. I can relate. Just finished getting rid of my gravel driveway and replacing it with concrete. After years playing with Rock Bands, and going to concerts, I’m amazed I can still hear 👂 anything. I do hear my wife… too often I don’t listen…. 😇…..
I am detecting a theme here....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
View attachment 120190

Purdy new driveway! I am envious....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine creaks and rattles, I figured the creaks were from not having a top to stabilize the body of the car from shifting around. The rattles though, I needed a new suspension. Hope that isn't your case!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine creaks and rattles, I figured the creaks were from not having a top to stabilize the body of the car from shifting around. The rattles though, I needed a new suspension. Hope that isn't your case!
The lack of rigidity from having no top is the theory im sticking with, i was just curious if they all do, and i believe i have my answer. Thank you!

·
Registered
450 Posts
The little MGB has some personality when it comes to noises.
The Sky is quiet. It will be better when I get the original tires replaced

·
Registered
24 Posts
My next spring goal is getting a new suspension. I guess coil-overs are the only option. Does anyone know the whereabouts of finding new struts,o r are the coils and shocks not available anywhere?? Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
To be clear, the stock suspension is comprised of coilovers, and we do not have struts, although the coilover assembly is sometimes referred to as a strut.

Replacement shock absorbers are currently available. Rock Auto is one source.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts