Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I'm coming to terms with the fact I probably won't be able to get a sky. as my car was wrecked resently, by a "friend" :banghead: I will never let anyone borrow my car, anyways, I have a deposit for my sky, but I'm coming to terms with the fact that as much as I want a sky and I think they are the coolest cars ever, I won't be able to afford it.. I'm going to hold out on retracting my deposit as long as possible, but mand it REALLY SUCKS. 2k in damage to my car, now you're prob saying how can that little make the difference between getting a sky or not. well I was planning on useing this year to save up for a DP for the sky, now I Will not have that dp. oh well. It was great learning about the sky, but unfortunately I may not be able to join the ranks of happiness with you guys, hope you all enjoy yours... :mad:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I would agree on the old beater route. Get something cheap that will last 6 months and won't really depreciate, the sell it when the Sky arrives.

On the other hand, I think I recall you saying you were considering keeping the Prelude for winter driving. Maybe this would be a good time to look into a more suitable car for the elements...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
reedred said:
Sorry to hear that. I would agree on the old beater route. Get something cheap that will last 6 months and won't really depreciate, the sell it when the Sky arrives.

On the other hand, I think I recall you saying you were considering keeping the Prelude for winter driving. Maybe this would be a good time to look into a more suitable car for the elements...
Yea I know the prelude isn't that good for winter, but I said that when I was considering moving to VA, now I'm staying in FL, So no need for a winter car. As much as I love the sky, and it is one of the coolest cars, I'm just thinking about how logical it is for me to get one. if I were to stay single for 4 years yes it would be the perfect car for me, but thats looking less and less likely

·
Registered
141 Posts
SL2's are cheap :) I love mine! You can pick up a 2000 SL2 from a private seller for less than $5k, depending on mileage. Get on craigslist.org ...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Something else: I work in insurance. When you let your friend drive your car, and he was not a listed driver on your policy it is a serious no no. Your insurance now considers you a high risk because you loan your vehicle to unknown "risky" drivers. $2000.00 is bad, but who else was involved? You may not be able to afford the insurance on a two seater sports car once the claim is finished and the numbers hit underwriting. I am sure your wallat will feel it there too. Sorry to give you bad news, but I didn't want that to come back to haunt you later. Expect to see your rates go up significantly for the next 3 years as long as you are a safe driver during that period, they should come back down.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Really? I had no idea. I wondered why you can add people to your insurance when it's supposed to already cover people who you loan your car to.

·
Registered
820 Posts
loyal_SL2 said:
Really? I had no idea. I wondered why you can add people to your insurance when it's supposed to already cover people who you loan your car to.
Don't feel bad. Many people don't know ow insurance works, exactly. Your auto insurance is designed to "cover" anyone driving your vehicle, but after the claim is over the insurance company must then re-assess what kind of a risk you are after the accident to be sure they keep enough money around for the next accident your involved in. If there is an injury, it is worse, if there is a DWI is much worse, etc. In this case the insurance company will look at the fact that there was an unknown person who was given permission to drive the vehicle that they set aside money for, based on Sky4Christ's driving record. Now they will have to look at the fact that Sky4Christ may let this person drive again. They will also look at the $ value of the claim. How many cars involved, were there any guardrails damaged, was anyone injured? Then for the next three years they will look at Sky4Christ as though he will allow this friend to drive again. If there is no reoccurance they will give him a break and go back down to similar premium to that which he had prior to the 3 years, but current for the vehicle he is driving at the time. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
820 Posts
One other thing, I am assuming that your friend was at fault in the accident by the way you spoke in your initial post. If not, things will be a little different.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey sky4christ cool handle by the way :) I decided do the nursing program so I am waiting to get the 2008 sky model. My school is going to cost me as much as the sky ouch, but I know it's what I am called to do. I have to wait longer to get the automatic anyway so I figure why not wait and get the next year so all the corks will be worked out. Why don't you fix your car and save money all next year so you can get the 2008 sky. You can be my waiting buddie :)
P.S. wish me luck I am 30 years old and going back to school after being out for almost 10 years

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
An insurance agent? Now I know why your SN is Nemesis! I took out one little school bus, and your entire industry hates me now!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I really feel for you. We've all waited so long.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good thing

I work for an insurance company too, and I know what not to tell, my insurance. unfortunately my pol does not have coll coverage. so I'm fixing the car. so it will not be on my record unless. they ask.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
PammySky said:
Hey sky4christ cool handle by the way :) I decided do the nursing program so I am waiting to get the 2008 sky model. My school is going to cost me as much as the sky ouch, but I know it's what I am called to do. I have to wait longer to get the automatic anyway so I figure why not wait and get the next year so all the corks will be worked out. Why don't you fix your car and save money all next year so you can get the 2008 sky. You can be my waiting buddie :)
P.S. wish me luck I am 30 years old and going back to school after being out for almost 10 years
Hey, join the crowd. I'm 35 and I'm back in school also. Is really hard but I still think its worth it... :willy: I'm hoping to be graduating by next summer!!! :eek: :banghead:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:

·
Registered
820 Posts
reedred said:
An insurance agent? Now I know why your SN is Nemesis! I took out one little school bus, and your entire industry hates me now!
Uh, try again. I am the more hated version: Personal Injury Adjuster and Investigator. Also, keep in mind: that one little school bus probably had 24 or more little injury claims that increased your acident value by $2500 per head....at least. You do the math (LOL). :D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Nemesis said:
Uh, try again. I am the more hated version: Personal Injury Adjuster and Investigator. Also, keep in mind: that one little school bus probably had 24 or more little injury claims that increased your acident value by $2500 per head....at least. You do the math (LOL). :D
You're right. That's even scarier.

There was no one on the bus but the driver- if I'd mangled someone's kid, I probably would have found a jagged piece of metal and ended it all right there. The school bus was really OK anyway, just a dent and a big scrape. My Camry, on the other hand, was completely mangled. Two weeks later when we did Secret Santa at work, there were 17 different toy school buses under the tree for me. My coworkers are psychopaths.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
A while back, my son had an accident where he was hit by a school bus in the high school parking lot. It took three years to settle, and my insurance carrier even recovered my deductible from the school bus company. (The bus driver was a 73 year old woman who was a bit confused at the time of the accident).

·
Registered
481 Posts
Check first

My exwife slid her Trans Am into a pole, and did $900 damage. I was going to pay for it until my agent told me anything under $1,000 would not go against me!

Years later, I jumped a curb in my Viper, hit some bushes and did $14,000 damage! My insurance rate went up $8 per month for 3 years, then the "accident surcharge" went away. I pay $69 per month for the GTS Viper.

My point? Check with your agent before doing anything. It might not be as bad as you think. Also, if your friend has insurance, his should pay under "damage to other peoples property".

Good luck, and don't let anyone else drive your car. Tell them to call a cab. It is cheaper for both of you!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sky4christ said:
ok so I'm coming to terms with the fact I probably won't be able to get a sky. as my car was wrecked resently, by a "friend" :banghead: I will never let anyone borrow my car, anyways, I have a deposit for my sky, but I'm coming to terms with the fact that as much as I want a sky and I think they are the coolest cars ever, I won't be able to afford it.. I'm going to hold out on retracting my deposit as long as possible, but mand it REALLY SUCKS. 2k in damage to my car, now you're prob saying how can that little make the difference between getting a sky or not. well I was planning on useing this year to save up for a DP for the sky, now I Will not have that dp. oh well. It was great learning about the sky, but unfortunately I may not be able to join the ranks of happiness with you guys, hope you all enjoy yours... :mad:
Well, there's always a bright side. You can either...
1. save money until next year and get the 2nd year Sky. 1st year models always have some bugs that needs to be worked out.
2. save money until next year and get a used 1st year model Sky.
3. save money until next year and maybe you'll save enough to fully mod the Sky or get the V-8 special.
You don't have to give it up just because you can't get one as soon as it comes out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts