Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the cubes are for that are in the back of the top -- under the trunk near the drain area?

They are sticky on one side but mine don't seem to stick any seem to have to be put back on every once in a while. Can these be safely removed? Should I be having this problem?

Joseph

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Pictures?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
rick112 said:
Pictures?
BRB :thumbs:

Update: Can't find my camera's USB cable so I found another picture in the gallery that shows it a little bit. I've circled the area in question -- you can see one of the cubes in that "pocket"

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
USFJoseph said:
Does anyone know what the cubes are for that are in the back of the top -- under the trunk near the drain area?

They are sticky on one side but mine don't seem to stick any seem to have to be put back on every once in a while. Can these be safely removed? Should I be having this problem?

Joseph
They keep the drain "bags" open so any water that seeps through the trunk seals goes into the drains, not the trunk.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
USFJoseph said:
Should they be loose though? To the point that I have to reattach them?
No. I don't think they should be loose. A couple of mine have come loose also and it's on my list of things for the dealer to check out the next time it's in for service.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
USFJoseph said:
Should they be loose though? To the point that I have to reattach them?
I have the same problem. I just stuck them back in. Kind of like the adheasive that held the metal strip in the door sill. It just isn't sticky enough. I forgot to ask about them when I went in for service on the door sill.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GaryH said:
I have the same problem. I just stuck them back in. Kind of like the adheasive that held the metal strip in the door sill. It just isn't sticky enough. I forgot to ask about them when I went in for service on the door. sill.
Ditto. Went in for the CAI installation and completelly forgot to ask.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Same problem here.... i keep re-attatching them.... it is getting old.... and when i was suppose to take my baby in for the starter sticking.. the day after my BBQ... i was going to have them look at them again...... the ones that are actually fixed to the trunk and sit on the top when in the trunk... had to be replaced..... one was never there and the other one slipped and got black crud all over the lid....... and.... I FORGOT TO TAKE HER IN THE NIGHT AFTER MY BBQ... gotta make another appointment... but, i havent driven her since either... been sick...... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
USFJoseph said:

Joseph
They seem to be ther to "hold" the water catch pockets open. They are very poorly installed. I did take teh time to make sure they were pressed into the pockets to keep them open to catch water when your roof is up. They have not moved sice it did this. I thing the istallation at build was a bit haphazard

·
Registered
192 Posts
Same problem here with the drain cubes falling off and the trunk lid pad on the right is missing and marking my top. I would have thought that with durability testing they would have caught the cheap glue problem. I have alerted my dealer and am currently waiting a fix. Now have 7000 miles on it and the only thing that I am disappointed about is the noise under the car. The whine of the rearend and the clickety clack when I shift my manual. My 99 Miata was dead quiet under the car. :driving:

·
Registered
197 Posts
little cubes

The little foam cubes in my Sky kept falling down into the drain of the funnel, so I took a needle and heavy thread and sutured those little suckers in place.
That should keep the drain pockets open and drain funnel not blocked by a cube so my trunk does not fill with water like some guys on the Solstice web forum discussed.
So if it ever rains again in Texas, my Sky will be ready.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
TX-Sky said:
The little foam cubes in my Sky kept falling down into the drain of the funnel, so I took a needle and heavy thread and sutured those little suckers in place.
That should keep the drain pockets open and drain funnel not blocked by a cube so my trunk does not fill with water like some guys on the Solstice web forum discussed.
So if it ever rains again in Texas, my Sky will be ready.
Hey...that's a great idea...:thumbs: Although, I'm not sure if my back could take it, being hunched over to sew all those cubes in place. I might try using a better adhesive to see if that works first.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
That is A GREAT idea.... i think i will try it...... all it would take is one good stitch at each place..... maybe...SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
197 Posts
Definitely just one loop through each cube will work. Start on the inside of the 'gutter' and go through cube and plastic wall of gutter. Then bring needle back through and then tie knot. That way the knot is hidden on the inside of the gutter. Use heavy black thread and you will never notice the fix.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Mine is the same way

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
A stich in time saves your cubes......Skip...Someone needs to save my cubes....:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Skip said:
A stich in time saves your cubes......Skip...Someone needs to save my cubes....:lol: :lol: :lol:
That is it...... you better tell Fartblossom she is NOT doing her job...... NO MORE DIET PEPSI.. FOR HER...... :D :cheers: :D SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have not gotten my RL yet, but I noticed these cubes when I first started looking into buying a SKY. Simply one of the STUPIDEST things I have EVER seen on ANY car EVER!!! :eek:

BUT, tx-sky has exactly the correct fix. The very large issue with these cubes coming loose is that they may fall into the bag and CLOG THE DRAIN TUBE. A real good rain event and you will be concerned with the rattles that are popping up because they will literally drowned out by the sloshing of the trunk full of water!!! :brentil:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have this problem as well, and an even better question.

Why the heck does the trunk leak in the first place? They shouldhave designed it not to.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts