Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Perhaps a change in culture, perhaps just to set a apart from the American design, perhaps response to feedback from buyers... who knows?
Perhaps they don't have enough ink to do full color pictures. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is a bit disappointing that there seem to be more and more clones popping up around the world. I think it does take a little of the uniqueness away from the Sky. I'm just glad that none are supposed to be sold here.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
SkyRader said:
It is a bit disappointing that there seem to be more and more clones popping up around the world. I think it does take a little of the uniqueness away from the Sky. I'm just glad that none are supposed to be sold here.
You know, I'm going to go for the silver lining on this one...

I kind of don't mind that there will be more Skys shipped off for sale in other countries because if that is the case then that means more of the cars coming out of the production line in Wilmington wont end up on US streets... further contributing to their rarity and exclusiveness to own a Saturn Sky (and who knows maybe it will HELP the resale value contrary the Z4 owners take on Daewoo’s rebadged Sky).

I don't think there is any plans to open another production line and the plant is already working at capacity now and sharing with the Sol, so if we get to have a car that is less common in America than it would be otherwise, I'm all for it. (Of course my heartfelt apologies to those of you who don't have one yet -- but you will!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Axel,

where to reply first...first of all I picked my name because I spent 22 years as a submariner protecting all people even the idiots, secondly looks is a matter of opinion, quality however is not and if for even a quick second you think the sky is even in the same ballpark.....lol. Also as I stated I bought the car for my wife because I think the sky is a cute little car...not for me however I am a guy and will stick with my corvette, and my 530...my opinion differs from yours....doesn't make you or me right or wrong...just different.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
bubblehead1965 said:
Axel,

where to reply first...first of all I picked my name because I spent 22 years as a submariner protecting all people even the idiots, secondly looks is a matter of opinion, quality however is not and if for even a quick second you think the sky is even in the same ballpark.....lol. Also as I stated I bought the car for my wife because I think the sky is a cute little car...not for me however I am a guy and will stick with my corvette, and my 530...my opinion differs from yours....doesn't make you or me right or wrong...just different.
If you don't have a Sky and don't plan on getting one then why hang out here? Surely a man who can afford 2 BMWs and a Vette has better things to do with his time than bug the Sky fans.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Ok everyone, time to act our ages and be civil.

Any further off topic banter will be deleted.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
On topic, I wouldn't technicaly call this 'badge engineering.' I see badge engineering as being when a company sells the same car with some slight differences (the badge being the main difference) into the same market. The Neon was a good example, along with the Cobalt and new G4 as well.

What I see the Sky, Opel GT, Daewoo G2X as being really just the same car just sold under different names because they don't sell Saturns in Europe or Korea. You all should be honored GM thinks the Sky design was worthy enough to be the varsion sold over seas.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well this is one step closer to the SKY being a worldwide car. Which I think is great. I wouldn't worry about production levels. As the exchange rates from the US to Korea are ridiculous. If they are going to sell more than 1000 of them in Korea it would be cheaper to build them there. Which leads me to my next point, Lutz was murmuring about increasing production of Kappa's. I can see the Opel GT and G2X being produced almost exclusively in a Korean plant, as well as a Holden version (it would still be LHD like the Corvette and many Cadillacs are even in RHD markets). So don't worry about it taking away from your cars.

I am thinking at this point to maybe hold out for 2008 to see if they make any improvements to the car like fully controllable six-way power seats.

·
Super Moderator
11,342 Posts
I really don't believe what is sold overseas will affect the value of a car here. After all, in the states the Sol is being produced at a 3:1 ratio to the Sky, right? Perhaps Europe and Korea will now be seeing the Sky as well under different badges the fact remains that the Sky will be rarer here than the Sol.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
bigd2114 said:
:agree: omg seriously i almost think that hurts me to see a daewoo sticker on my buetiful sky
Wow you mean you are not one that will pull the Saturn badges off and put on Daewoo badges on in place like some are saying they are going to do with the OPEL badges....

I think it is funny it is just an emblem, it is the same car!!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
marlboromike said:
i am so so embarassed now...my mind is now blown away....the solstice family is laughing at us, for sure.
I think they will be a little jealous, since GM thinks the SKY design can sell well worldwide and the Solstice will only be sold over here.... to me that means the Sky has a broader appeal...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going to be teaching in China next year, and I'm thinking about picking one up to scoot around Shanghai in. My only qualm? Coming home and having to switch the drivers seat over to THE CORRECT side of the car.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I'm going to be teaching in China next year, and I'm thinking about picking one up to scoot around Shanghai in. My only qualm? Coming home and having to switch the drivers seat over to THE CORRECT side of the car.
Actually, all the Kappas - Solstice, SKY, G2X and GT - will be left-hand drive. The car is not engineered for putting the wheel on the other side.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I thought that China switched over to the CORRECT side of the road decades ago (the RIGHT side, meaning the steering wheel also on the CORRECT, or LEFT side of the car).

Korea is also Right side driving (LHD, or in Brit terms, their cars are "left hookers" ).

L Anguilla
L Antigua and Barbuda
L Australia
L Bahamas
L Bangladesh
L Barbados
L Bermuda
L Bhutan
L Botswana
L Brunei
L Cayman Islands
L Christmas Island (Australia)
L Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Australia)
L Cook Islands
L Cyprus
L Dominica
L East Timor
L Falkland Islands
L Fiji
L Grenada
L Guernsey (Channel Islands)
L Guyana
L Hong Kong
L India
L Indonesia
L Ireland
L Isle of Man
L Jamaica
L Japan
L Jersey (Channel Islands)
L Kenya
L Kiribati
L Lesotho
L Macau
L Malawi
L Malaysia
L Maldives
L Malta
L Mauritius
L Montserrat
L Mozambique
L Namibia
L Nauru
L Nepal
L New Zealand
L Niue
L Norfolk Island (Australia)
L Pakistan
L Papua New Guinea
L Pitcairn Islands (Britain)
L Saint Helena
L Saint Kitts and Nevis
L Saint Lucia
L Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
L Seychelles
L Singapore
L Solomon Islands
R Somalia (a part of Somalia trying to assert independence, Somaliland, also drives on the right)
L South Africa
L Sri Lanka
L Suriname
L Swaziland
L Tanzania
L Thailand
L Tokelau (New Zealand)
L Tonga
L Trinidad and Tobago
L Turks and Caicos Islands
L Tuvalu
L Uganda
L United Kingdom
L Virgin Islands (British)
L Virgin Islands (US)
L Zambia
L Zimbabwe

Attachments

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I thought that China switched over to the CORRECT side of the road decades ago (the RIGHT side, meaning the steering wheel also on the CORRECT, or LEFT side of the car).

Korea is also Right side driving (LHD, or in Brit terms, their cars are "left hookers" ).

L Hong Kong
If Hong Kong is on the left, could other districts in China be on the left, too, as a leftover legacy of British Rule?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
John the daewoo is left hand drive which is same as us . The plant will not switch out to right hand drive. Iffen they did they would sell in England...Besides daewoo is a Korean brand and I do not think they sell them in China...Skip...:) :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
John the daewoo is left hand drive which is same as us . The plant will not switch out to right hand drive. Iffen they did they would sell in England...Besides daewoo is a Korean brand and I do not think they sell them in China...Skip...:) :)
Oh, I agree with you there. My mind just wandered over into the issues in China of driving in and out of Hong Kong (or perhaps other ports) where once you get to town you start driving on the other side of the road...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
It looks like they removed the fake vents from the hood. But I can't completly tell.
The photo below is by far the very best and highest resolution photo of the G2X that I have seen, right down to the logo on the rims. And it clearly shows the hood vents.

But you gotta love this description, translated from Korean:

G2X roads [su] it sprouts and external style with the side style which has become design with the line which is tough together after being force, the dynamics of the traditional sports car in look the [tu] character line accomplishes the artificial flower and it shows. Also a design all feeling, it accomplished this artificial flower which the width arrangement radiator it will draw the general bumper of streamline shape with and it showed pro of the curve which is bold [ceyk] it sprouted and the headlight which applies the halogen ramp high class was more and it manifested [su] gun mote one only G2X individualities.
You can read the badly-translated Korean in its entirety here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ko&u=http://flyfreesky.com/tt10/category/car&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=4&ct=result&prev=/search?q=Daewoo+G2X&start=190&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&sa=N

Attachments

21 - 40 of 40 Posts