Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on "Opel GT" and on "Daewoo" in this forum, and read some threads, but there seems to be a lot of confusion. I even went to the Korean Daewoo site to see if there was a press release, but nada: http://www.dm.co.kr/dwms/english/news/news.jsp

So, my questions are:
1. Are the Daewoo and Opel just rebadged Skys?
2. Are the Daewoos and Opels coming out of Sky production numbers, which is already half of Solstice production, or are they separate numbers?
3. I have heard of interest from old Opel owners of re-importing the new GTs from Europe. Will this be the ONLY way that we would ever see these cars in the US, or could US Opel dealers end up selling them?
4. With all of this interest overseas, can we be relatively certain that the only two Kappas to appear in US dealerships are going to be Saturns and Pontiacs (at least for the next couple years)?
5. Is there ANY known effort on the part of GM to create a third body-style, something different from the Saturn/Opel/Daewoo and the Solstice, either for an overseas company or for US production?
6. Why isn't anybody overseas interested in a Kappa car based on the Solstice?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
richm said:
I did a search on "Opel GT" and on "Daewoo" in this forum, and read some threads, but there seems to be a lot of confusion. I even went to the Korean Daewoo site to see if there was a press release, but nada: http://www.dm.co.kr/dwms/english/news/news.jsp

So, my questions are:
1. Are the Daewoo and Opel just rebadged Skys?
2. Are the Daewoos and Opels coming out of Sky production numbers, which is already half of Solstice production, or are they separate numbers?
3. I have heard of interest from old Opel owners of re-importing the new GTs from Europe. Will this be the ONLY way that we would ever see these cars in the US, or could US Opel dealers end up selling them?
4. With all of this interest overseas, can we be relatively certain that the only two Kappas to appear in US dealerships are going to be Saturns and Pontiacs (at least for the next couple years)?
5. Is there ANY known effort on the part of GM to create a third body-style, something different from the Saturn/Opel/Daewoo and the Solstice, either for an overseas company or for US production?
6. Why isn't anybody overseas interested in a Kappa car based on the Solstice?
#1 yes pretty much
#2 no they have their own production figure I think 5000 each
#3 Right now not in the US and probably not in the future
#4 Righ now yes but who knows in the future but they would have to put in another Kappa platform
$5 I really don't know there was talk of the saab but they can't use the platform
#6 There are. On the Solstice forum there have been people saying they were going to buy one and ship it overseas. The Sky will have their kappa overseas just waiting for the Opel and Daewoo and people are just waiting for these cars to start production.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Add to delukes's answers:

1. Some differences in trim (chrome piece on nose for example) and from what is known by some, the Opel GT will only arrive with one engine, the 260hp SIDI turbo of the Redline, do not know yet if both trannys will ship.

2. same answer, no reduction in Sky production

3. A current production car from overseas (even though produced here) cannot be economically imported into the USA. You would have to post something like $100,000 before having the car individually EPA tested and the cost of shipping alone could be up to $4000 for one car. After 25 years I believe there are some exceptions but the best route that many have planned is to simply buy a REdline, and then buy through a European dealer the parts, trim and badges, to make their own GT. There have not been any US Opel dealers since the '70s and no matter how hard we push and beg and plead, GM refuses to give us what we want (US spec Opel) Instead several models of Saturn will be Opel produced and shipped here.

4. Yes, as there is no Opel or Daewwoo dealer network here or expected to be.

5. There was rumored to be interest from Chevy in the Nomad concept and also rumored that they wanted the Kappa chassis to install a V6 and name it StingRay, a name not currently in use on the 'vette. Instead the SR will be a version of 'vette after all. Saab rumors as well were promulgated by magazines without any foundation. My take on it is that a Saab roadster if and when will be Lotus-based.

6. The shape of the Solstice body precludes it from company importation into most of Europe due to of all things rules related to pedestrian-vehicle impact. They require something a little edgier or higher-bumpered that will deflect a struck passenger up and away from the vehicle. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
achieftain said:
6. The shape of the Solstice body precludes it from company importation into most of Europe due to of all things rules related to pedestrian-vehicle impact. They require something a little edgier or higher-bumpered that will deflect a struck passenger up and away from the vehicle. Go figure.
Thanks for all your answers, both of you. I found that last tidbit particularly interesting. I can see that the Pontiac logo is embedded into more than just "trim" on the Solstice and thought that cost of redoing the badges might be why it wouldn't be as suitable for re-branding. But, basically, you are telling me that the Solstice would need to add a "cow catcher" in front.

And I am relieved that these other international brands are NOT coming out of the Sky production numbers. At the events I have been to, there is a lot of interest in the Saturn body style, and I think it is at least as popular and attractive as the Solstice, so I hoped the numbers were headed more toward 50/50 production. Then again, there are at least three times as many Pontiac dealers in my metro area as there are Saturn dealers, and Pontiac has such a head start, it might be difficult for Saturn to ever catch as much interest.

Can you clarify one other thing? I read somewhere that the MAX production of Kappas was going to be to 40K per year, so that would be 20K Solstice, 10K Sky, 5K Opel, and 5K Daewoo. Does this mean the book is likely closed on other Kappas, or could we see more than 40K a year? Also, does this mean that the Sky and Solstice body styles are likely to be produced 50/50, except that there will be three badges for the Sky body style?

I was at a car show last night, and for most people, it was the first time anyone had seen a Sky, so I found myself pumelled with more questions than I could possibly answer. These car show guys read stuff in a million places, and it is nice to have some folks here who have a better perspective on the Kappa "big picture."

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
richm said:
Can you clarify one other thing? I read somewhere that the MAX production of Kappas was going to be to 40K per year, so that would be 20K Solstice, 10K Sky, 5K Opel, and 5K Daewoo. Does this mean the book is likely closed on other Kappas, or could we see more than 40K a year? Also, does this mean that the Sky and Solstice body styles are likely to be produced 50/50, except that there will be three badges for the Sky body style?

I was at a car show last night, and for most people, it was the first time anyone had seen a Sky, so I found myself pumelled with more questions than I could possibly answer. These car show guys read stuff in a million places, and it is nice to have some folks here who have a better perspective on the Kappa "big picture."
Yes, when the opel and daewoo start, the line will be maxed out and no more production would be available. But if the decided to add another Kappa platform that would change the anwsere.

The makers of the kappa line have been trying to talk GM into getting another platform but so far they are saying no. It's alot of money. And I hope they stick to this because I don't want a car like the Miata that you see one around every corner you take. I like the limited supply.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Add out of the German point of view:

1. Opel badges of course, European legal lights, no side markers in the front fender which looks better with most colours, turbo manual only, no white and green.

2. If Wilmington can ramp up production, they are running three shift and the maximum production is between 3,000 and 3,500 units (Sol and Sky) see production chart

View attachment Prod#_2005-2006.pdf

3. Will make no sense to ship a car (produced in Wilmington) to Europe and put it on another ship to bring it back. It's easier to make the changes listed in # 1.

4. Who knows the future?

5. Long wheelbase Kappa (4 seater) could be possible in the later future.

6. There are at least as many Europeans interested in the Sol as in the Sky, but besides of the pedestrian issues there is a huge number of Opel dealers in Europe but nearly no Pontiac. So GM decided to import Sky only - Sky is European Opel design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts