Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally was able to get rid of of the annoying rattles (except for the squeak on the soft top when up) and now I hear a rattle in the Tranny. I feel it in the stick shift when its in nuetral and im rolling over bumps. sounds like a metal clang like something is bouncing around in the tranny or around that area. Has any one else had this problem? I can also make it clang when i engage the clutch when its in gear by staying in gear then let it roll then hit the clutch and i hear something bouncing around!!!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have had the exact same sounds you describe. I don't recall if I've had them since it was new or not. I take a certain side street to work that is really bumpy. I usually push in the clutch as I get to the bumpy part as there is a stoplight just after the bumps. Everytime, car sounds like its about to fall apart and it all sounds like its from the tranny area.

I tested on other bumpy roads and same thing. Mine is loudest when clutch is pushed in. Not as bad if I have it in gear. I also get the clanging by doing the steps you described.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ditto on when the clutch is pushed in!!! It drives fine and she pulls hard but for some reason I just cant help thinking that as soon as my warranty is up that damn thing is gonna break. Im gonna bring it up to the dealer. I dont like the sounds of that!!!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
We had a family emergency about 2 weeks ago so I've been to busy to take it in. We have family here from out of state to help out with the emergency, and they are using our extra vehicle. So the sky has been my only car for awhile and probably will continue for a few more months.

Please let me know what your dealer says. If I can take mine in and tell them exactly whats wrong, it may save some time. I can't be without my sky for more than a day in my current situation.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Really? noone else has this problem? Now I'm definately worried. :brentil:

·
Registered
574 Posts
I will listen to mine tonight...

I havent heard it but....now I will check....could it be something loose in the linkage? Sorry to hear you are having bad Home stuff..hope it turns out all right!

Chris :thumbs:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the same problem as described,
I took my car into the dealer and was told its all normal.
I can stand all the clunking going on!!!!!
I'm going to take it back.
I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Our car is making the same noise. 2500 mile. It started around 1800 mile. It sounds like it is going to fall apart.

Greg

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine has always made that noise exactly as described - when the clutch is pushed in and I'm going over bumps. I thought is was "normal." So its not? Please let me know so I can have it looked at ASAP.

·
Registered
205 Posts
um I dunno much about cars but when i heard old car I had before rattling it was a broken tooth that fell down and was rolling around. I doubt that's the case since it's so new mine broke because of um well... let's just there was a dead deer in the round at night and uh my car went airborne:banghead:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Thanks for everyones input. I'm going to try and find some time this week to crawl under there and check for loose parts. I remember reading on the sol forum about a few people having covers/heatshields and such coming loose, as Ernest suggested.

If anyone gets anymore info, please post.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I took a look its the shift linkage not a problem. When in Neutral the two ends of the linkage let the shift arm bump around...Seal9

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Nearly 5,000 miles and nary a peep from mine. I have no idea what sound you guys are talking about...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
seal9 said:
I took a look its the shift linkage not a problem. When in Neutral the two ends of the linkage let the shift arm bump around...Seal9
so does it look like there is a fix? I think its wierd how some have it and some don't.

It may not be a problem mechanically but anytime I give someone a ride and hit some bumps, the first thing they say is that it sounds like its going to fall apart :banghead: those noises do not give a great impression and is embarrassing. It is very loud in my sky, I wonder if it can be heard outside the car?

guess I better make sure I'm not in neutral over bumps... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
388 Posts
My car makes the same noise. Started immediately. Only 250 miles on her. What is the latest on the cause? It's so embarassing having such a cool car and hearing it sound like it's going to fall apart when going over bumps in neutral.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
one of the guys on the SOl forum took his car in this week to try and have the "rattle" fixed. this is what he had to say---- ( I'm not quite convinced that this is the answer. sounds like the mechanic or engineer was confused on the issue. Kind of sounds like he diagnosed it as the clunk the we all know is the rearend)

""I have this noise as well. I took it into the Ellis Brooks Chevrolet in San Francisco. A great GM repair department there! These guy's go the extra mile in trying to find out if anything is wrong. They even consult with GM directly on recall/problem bulletins about such things.

THEY COULD FIND NOTHING WRONG. They even test drove it on some of the roughest streets in San Francisco! They call it "Hard Drive Testing" They could replicate the noise so that helped them try and pinpoint the problem. Still they could find nothing wrong, loose or faulty.

When they contacted GM, they were told this noise is very normal for the Aisin Manual 5 speed. The space between the gears the way the gear box is configured is where the clunk is coming from. You will usually hear it in the lower gears the most. GM says that it is not a design flaw rather just one of the unforeseen noises a transmission will make when it is built this way. It is normal and harmless and I guess we will have to live with the clunk! No worries as you do not have loose parts or anything bad going on. I also believe there is thread in here addressing this issue as well right from GM.""

1 - 20 of 53 Posts