Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,898 Posts
I have not seen it for "no reason", but the reason sometimes isn't obvious. Can you be more descriptive about what is going on?
Are you moving or sitting still? Are they set to very bright or very dim? Is is fully night, or at dawn and dusk?
Any additional information should help.

·
Super Moderator
11,282 Posts
The obvious answer is the dimmer switch. People hit that with their knee all the time and accidentally change the brightness of the lights.

Now, if that isn't what's happening here, then what JohnWR said. LOL

·
Registered
165 Posts
The obvious answer is the dimmer switch. People hit that with their knee all the time and accidentally change the brightness of the lights.
I thought I was the only dork doing this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I notice that when the auto lights come on the brightness of the displays goes down, it is especially difficult if the sun is for behind. Shut off the auto lights seems to work or I turn up the brightness all the way then back down when it is dark. i do get the feeling that they are dimmer but it may be just the lights going on automatically.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think there may be more to it. My sky was off the road for a year but I never had that hard of a time reading the DIC, or whatever its called. Flash forward a year and everything is dim on max setting. In my old mercs the dimmer pot was always a wear failure...wondering if it is the same here? Before this summer i literally NEVER turned the auto lights off to see the gauges. Maybe a reset or switch wear failure. No "solution" but to test in this case.

·
Super Moderator
5,898 Posts
I notice that when the auto lights come on the brightness of the displays goes down, it is especially difficult if the sun is for behind. Shut off the auto lights seems to work or I turn up the brightness all the way then back down when it is dark. i do get the feeling that they are dimmer but it may be just the lights going on automatically.
The brightest setting for the DIC and radio when the headlights are on is not as bright as when the headlights are off, so what you are seeing is pretty normal.
I think there may be more to it. My sky was off the road for a year but I never had that hard of a time reading the DIC, or whatever its called. Flash forward a year and everything is dim on max setting. In my old mercs the dimmer pot was always a wear failure...wondering if it is the same here? Before this summer i literally NEVER turned the auto lights off to see the gauges. Maybe a reset or switch wear failure. No "solution" but to test in this case.
The dimmer switch does not directly dim the lights, so there is a lot less stress on it and it is unlikely to fail the same way that the old ones did. Possible, but unlikely.

Are the gauge lights dimmer than they used to be? They are controlled by the dimmer just as the displays are. If they are not getting as bright you could have a dimmer problem, but if they still get bright, you probably don't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's usually when the car is moving and bright sunlight is present. Lights go dim and return as fast as they leave I'm not hitting the switch with knee. Does this have anything to do with the light sensor mounted in the dash?

·
Registered
17,495 Posts
When u turn on the engine...shut your running lights....everything will stay bright. You do not need running lights in the daytime. It was such a stupid law they passed.

·
Super Moderator
5,898 Posts
It's usually when the car is moving and bright sunlight is present. Lights go dim and return as fast as they leave I'm not hitting the switch with knee. Does this have anything to do with the light sensor mounted in the dash?
It could be, but mine do not react that quickly. Also, are you referring to the lights in the gauges, or the digital displays in the radio and the DIC in the instrument cluster?
When u turn on the engine...shut your running lights....everything will stay bright. You do not need running lights in the daytime. It was such a stupid law they passed.
I disagree, since I find cars with DRLs to be much easier to see in many lighting conditions. Two of those are sunny days on the roads with intermittent tree cover that we have a lot of here, and misty, dim, gray days.

They are really a benefit when driving around those idiots that don't recognize that it is dark or that visibility is otherwise bad. Sometimes lights are more important for being seen than they are for seeing, and there is no downside to having them on all of the time.

·
Registered
17,495 Posts
It could be, but mine do not react that quickly. Also, are you referring to the lights in the gauges, or the digital displays in the radio and the DIC in the instrument cluster?

I disagree, since I find cars with DRLs to be much easier to see in many lighting conditions. Two of those are sunny days on the roads with intermittent tree cover that we have a lot of here, and misty, dim, gray days.

They are really a benefit when driving around those idiots that don't recognize that it is dark or that visibility is otherwise bad. Sometimes lights are more important for being seen than they are for seeing, and there is no downside to having them on all of the time.
I rather not have the lights on during the day...just me. And when the lights are off...u can see the radio much better...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Gonna have to try shutting the lights off. But for those that see the lights getting dimmer over time, that is called old age creeping up on you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts