Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, been a bit since Ive posted, but finally getting some use out of my Sky this summer! I am experiencing a random misfire under boost (13+ psi, p300 and p30x) I am doing all the normal troubleshooting stuff. etc.

However -- my question pertains to data logging. My other/winter car is a 2003 Audi which has vag-com available. You can view and data log practically any engine (or other) measuring block. I would appreciate something similar for our vehicles if it exists. I have Trifecta (bought but havent installed tune yet until I fix this), and I am extremely disappointed that they clearly can pull logs, but then conciously encrypt and hide them--to the point where I think I will be asking for a refund and going HPT eventually.

In the meantime, I am looking to see if anyone knows of a data logging application that would give raw outputs (csv) using the standard OBD2<>USB cables that are widely available-- do not expect anything free, but maybe between free and the 500+ for the HPT hardware and software platform?

Specifically NOT talking about obd2 apps (ie torque) which give limited information. Is HPT the only option here?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Tech2Win is GM developed software that emulates the actual Tech2. You need the software and the correct bin file for the car you're working on. You can license it from GM (ACDelco TDS), but you never know what you'll find if you just look around on the Internet.

The Mongoose Pro is expensive, but in my opinion well worth it. It's far less bothersome than a clone Tech2, all of which seem to be cheaply made and failure prone. I paid around 500 for mine a few years ago, but it's definitely paid for itself.

I understand there are also in fact clone Mongoose Pro cables, which I've read also tend to be unreliable.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
I have a "clone" Tech2 that has been 100% reliable. I believe that it was made alongside the "real" ones, since the attention to detail is just too complete for it to be an independently made copy. I do know that some of them have been unreliable, but I have read about similar lack of reliability being reported by GM techs using their official ones. Several others have clones that they have used with good results, so it really is a crap shoot.

A third option is the VCX Nano that may be the "clone Mongoose Pro" that @mstrjon32 mentioned. It comes with a bootleg copy of Tech2Win, and the one I have proved to be so unreliable that I stuck it in a box somewhere and forgot about it.

What data are you wanting to log that Torque cannot access?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
A third option is the VCX Nano that may be the "clone Mongoose Pro" that @mstrjon32 mentioned. It comes with a bootleg copy of Tech2Win, and the one I have proved to be so unreliable that I stuck it in a box somewhere and forgot about it.
The VCX Nano is something else entirely, but you can find a clone "Mongoose Pro" called the "Mangoose Pro" at sites like this one: US $96.00 |Mangoose Pro GM II Cable Supports GDS2 for Global Vehicle Diagnostics | chinaobd2.com.

But, it's just like the Tech2 clone. Maybe it will work, maybe you'll spend 20+ hours fiddling with it and having strange issues.

For me the big benefit of the Mongoose Pro is that it's a single small cable, there is no clunky 1990's diagnostic tool, CANdi module, 12V PCMCIA cards, or nest of cabling to manage. Now I use it only with my Saab's and with those there's an extra step to obtain "security access," so you'd need to actually make two trips between the car and the PC with the Tech2 otherwise--but that's not a factor for the Sky. It can also be used with the newer GDS2 cars, if you have any of those to maintain.

Either way, there are options out there...good luck! 🍻

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
The Tech2 is certainly big and clunky, but I do not need it that often, and there are zero issues with computer compatibility, software setup, or anything else, so it is a good trade-off for me. I bought my Mongoose Pro so that I would have something more convenient to travel with, but I found that I didn't really need to travel with anything and don't use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts