Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has Anyone disabled these? Just curious if you have to remove a fuse like I did on my honda or if its more complicated than that, also would anyone be interested in knowing how to do this if I can get it figured out?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
295 Posts
why would you not want them on...its for safety

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize its for safety, but I am curious if anyone has done this or not because I am installing hid's and the drl's are not good on them, the hids (ballasts) will burn out quicker due to the lower voltage that the drl's produce (at least this is what happened on my civic, so I diabled them) and its not cheap to buy new ballasts (200 dollars) every two to three months (been there done that)

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
nolates said:
why would you not want them on...its for safety
Personally, i hate the daytime running feature for headlights. I understand it's supposed to be for safety, but if you can't see a car coming down the road in the middle of the day, then you ain't got no business driving. Can't explain it, something just irks me about the the daytime lights. JMHO.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pitcom said:
Personally, i hate the daytime running feature for headlights. I understand it's supposed to be for safety, but if you can't see a car coming down the road in the middle of the day, then you ain't got no business driving. Can't explain it, something just irks me about the the daytime lights. JMHO.

I hear ya, IMO they just dont look good on any car and thats another reason I want to be able to disable them

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
It draws your attention to the car. As if the Sky needed any more attention. :lol:

·
1,012 Posts
rick112 said:
It draws your attention to the car. As if the Sky needed any more attention. :lol:
:D Speaking of attention, i heard they are going to send a Sky over niagara falls in a barrel. isn't your car close by?? :lol: Soon it'll be in the driveway!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
07blacksky said:
Has Anyone disabled these? Just curious if you have to remove a fuse like I did on my honda or if its more complicated than that, also would anyone be interested in knowing how to do this if I can get it figured out?

Thanks for your help
To turn off the daytime running lites, on the left side of steering wheel next to the brightness control is a switch. Push the switch and the running lites go out and an indicater lite lites on the dash saying as such..Skip...It is all in the owners manuel, read it.....:D

·
1,012 Posts
Skip said:
To turn off the daytime running lites, on the left side of steering wheel next to the brightness control is a switch. Push the switch and the running lites go out and an indicater lite lites on the dash saying as such..Skip...It is all in the owners manuel, read it.....:D
that's a great option :thumbs: I'll be sure to read my manual if my car ever comes in :banghead:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Also the daytime lamps are the foglamps , NOT high beams with a resister...Skip....:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only true way to disable the DRL's is to call GM technical assistance center. but you better have a good darn reason to disable them :nono:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I think it's law here to have them on:)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
SkyTech said:
The only true way to disable the DRL's is to call GM technical assistance center. but you better have a good darn reason to disable them :nono:
OR just turn them off with the light control switch, it turns off the automatic light feature. Just give it a little twist.

·
Registered
18,516 Posts
Seagull is right...on the directional at the end...just turn it and it will say lights off....I don't believe u should be driving a car...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
marlboromike said:
Seagull is right...on the directional at the end...just turn it and it will say lights off....I don't believe u should be driving a car...
Mike that is automatic lites not daytime running lites. Automatic lights are those that come on automatically when the sun goes down. Daytime running lites are those that come on when sun is up and they are the foglamp lites and can be turned off with the switch next to the panel brightness control.....Skip.....:lol: :lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Skip said:
Mike that is automatic lites not daytime running lites. Automatic lights are those that come on automatically when the sun goes down. Daytime running lites are those that come on when sun is up and they are the foglamp lites and can be turned off with the switch next to the panel brightness control.....Skip.....:lol: :lol:
Actually, they are NOT the fog lamps - they are special bulbs that serve no other purpose other than as the Daytime Running Lamps.

The light layout is:
Innermost pair - Headlights (Come on automatically at night)
Middle/Large pair - High-Beams (Manually controlled)
Upper/Outer/Smallest pair - Daytime Running Lamps (automatic, always on)
Fog Lamps - Below the turn signals (manually controlled by switch on dash)

If you are going to HIDs, can't you just swap out the main headlights and high beams, and leave the conventional bulbs in the DRL and Fog Lamps?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
?????

Now I am confused because the drl's I saw on the demo I drove were the actual headlights (low beam) and not the parklights next to the projector (low beam) which is where the drl's were coming from, and yes turning on the lights would disable them but I dont want them on period (if I wanted the lights on I would turn them on)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I do something different...

Okay, I made a mistake. The DRLs are the big round ones. I said the little ones were the DRLs, because that's what I run with during the day. I like the look with the fogs on, so I always run that way.

Here's a photo taken by the Kappa guys on our Beach Run. My car is in the lead with the Fog Lamps on, as well as the little lights in the corners that come on when the fogs are on. The others have the normal DRLs on...

Attachments

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Skip gave out wrong info

Well I stuck my foot in some dooky when I said the daytime running lites were the foglamps. They are the lites above .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts