Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was waffling back and forth about the need for an aftermarket IC. Read many a post! Some for, some against. I got some feedback from a couple of guys who have this very IC and appreciate their real world experience. In the end I went ahead and purchased this while on sale. At $140 off it made it so very close, in cost, to a new stock unit. I kept looking at and hearing about the stock intercoolers "ballooning" so I went ahead and made the call. Plus being here in Texas it may very well be some extra insurance in the long run.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Placed my order tonight! Thank you Dave, Ivy and crew for doing this year after year!

·
Super Moderator
11,672 Posts
I was waffling back and forth about the need for an aftermarket IC. Read many a post! Some for, some against. I got some feedback from a couple of guys who have this very IC and appreciate their real world experience. In the end I went ahead and purchased this while on sale. At $140 off it made it so very close, in cost, to a new stock unit. I kept looking at and hearing about the stock intercoolers "ballooning" so I went ahead and made the call. Plus being here in Texas it may very well be some extra insurance in the long run.
The ballooning issue is when you're pushing higher than stock levels of boost through the system. If you have a tune, this is a great upgrade. Good news is if you don't have a tune you can now get one from DDM without fear of ballooning your intercooler. :D

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to mention, I have the Trifecta tune (22-23 PSI) and in this Texas heat and humidity (I think it's: more humid air will not accept heat as quickly as less humid air will??) this IC will help keep detonation potential at a lower level. Plus, as you mentioned, it won't balloon.

severe ballooning from post#25

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Forgot to mention, I have the Trifecta tune (22-23 PSI) and in this Texas heat and humidity (I think it's: more humid air will not accept heat as quickly as less humid air will??) this IC will help keep detonation potential at a lower level. Plus, as you mentioned, it won't balloon.

Not sure where you are going with the humidity, but humidity has a very very minor impact to heat transfer from air to metal. Now if the item has condensation (like sweat) that changes, but for a IC negligible.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Not sure where you are going with the humidity, but humidity has a very very minor impact to heat transfer from air to metal. Now if the item has condensation (like sweat) that changes, but for a IC negligible.

After a 100*+ day give me low humidity at night and the temps will drop faster. Besides what do they say about Vegas' summer heat "It's the dry heat man!"
Well I did say "I think"

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
After a 100*+ day give me low humidity at night and the temps will drop faster. Besides what do they say about Vegas' summer heat "It's the dry heat man!"
Well I did say "I think"
A dry heat to a person is not as hot, because the sweat on your body will evaporate much faster then on a humid day. The Human body cools by evaporation. An intercooler not so much.

·
Super Moderator
11,672 Posts

With that tune the DDM intercooler will be beneficial if for no other reason than it resists ballooning. As for the heat transfer, I know the stock intercooler is more than capable of dropping the stock boost level down to pretty close to ambient though I will say my Hahn IC gets rid of heat soak MUCH faster than the stock IC. The DDM should have this same benefit if you drive in traffic or do a lot of hot lapping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.