Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a project we have been working on that is really near and dear to my heart, since I am notoriously a late braker.

Our goal with the kit was to provide a brake upgrade for the Solstice/Sky that would work well with the stock rear brakes and provide a nice balance, but while offering a substantial increase in heat capacity and also pedal feel and modulation of the brakes.

The kit uses Wilwood 4 piston fixed calipers with custom in house designed brackets to mount them to the uprights. The rotors are 2 piece with aluminum hats with a custom offset once again designed here, which allow us to use really thick 1.25" rotors on this setup. We also bumped up the diameter to 12.19" which gives a big boost to the thermal capacity of the system and how much it can take. The rotors also have directional vanes to help dissipate the heat from repetitive braking. The setup ships with Hawk HPS pads and they are nice and quiet, no rattles but with much better stopping power than stock. I have been using these on my daily driver 2.0L turbo car now for awhile and abusing them daily and absolutely love them!

The entire front kit is $995 for everything.

Here is the link to more info -

Kappa FDL-4 Big Brake Upgrade by DDMWorks

·
Super Moderator
11,355 Posts
Curse you Dave! Now I have ANOTHER thing to add to my shopping list.

But first I need to get those injectors and oil return line...and tune...LOL

This is definitely on my must have list though.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Yup, I'll be picking these up. I'm going to wait for the cost of the rears first.

Quick question Dave - Will the rears end up being more than the fronts due to the parking brake?

·
Vendor
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, I'll be picking these up. I'm going to wait for the cost of the rears first.

Quick question Dave - Will the rears end up being more than the fronts due to the parking brake?
We do not have final cost on the rears yet, but once we get done with some of the testing this weekend on them I should start to have a pretty good ballpark on the final price of the kit. My first guess though is that the rear kit will be very close in price to the front kit.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So, with these brakes and the stock wheels, I will need the spacers that you offer? With these spacers fitted, the wheels will have the normal stock "stance", yes? That is to say, they'll be in the stock positions?

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Stock Sky wheels are fine. You only need the spacer with the Sol wheels. If you add any kind of spacer behind the wheel it will move the wheel/tire out that amount as well. With that said, that's where you run into the issue of the wheel studs not being long enough.

·
Vendor
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now we can ship the kits with the plain face rotors and the slotted rotors, no custom options yet, we are working on that but have no ETA.

As for the wheel fitment, VinnieRL nailed it, the stock Sky wheels will fit up with no issues, it is only the Soslstice wheels that require the spacer. The spacer that we ship is 3/16" thick, so the wheels do get pushed out 3/16", but that will not change any of your alignment (camber, caster or toe). The install kit we sell for the Solstice wheels comes with extended thread lug nuts that go through the hole in the wheel to make up for the thread loss from the spacer and have the same thread engagement as stock, neat little setup.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Dave

·
Vendor
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeap, have a set going on a Solstice with stock rims this weekend :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts