Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
I really don't know Chop. I am convinced and I think Robotech is too, that the Custom Tune did a number on the engine the first pass. I have had many cars, and drag raced quite a bit in the late 60's thru the mid 70's. I have blown up a few big blocks, both ford and chevy. I never heard the noise that came from my car before. I was certain it was toast instantly, but it still ran but babied it back to the shop. Robo looked at the tune and he said it was a ticking time bomb. This was in May, when we were getting ready for the National. It was never driven after the initial drive. Dave asked me to bring it to Denver, and he was not able to access the tune. The car was in perfect condition, we had replaced the water pump while doing the turbo upgrade.

I have used Trifecta on two cars and never had a problem with them. Still would use their canned tune. I think there was something wrong with it, but I purchased it thru DDM specifically for what was done to my car. To be fair, DDM did refund my money for the Tune when he was unable to access it. I really like Dave, and have supported him since being involved with the Sky's. But this has been a nightmare for all involved.

I talked with CBM, who builds high dollar sandrails with 2.4 and LS engines. He told me not to even touch the 2.0. He would not even touch it. What that means to others, no idea, but a guy who builds 300K sand rails has to know something. I know that what I bought is no longer offered by DDM. And in honesty Dave said it would be lot of work. Unfortunately we never got to work on it without all the problems. We have tuned and changed everything possible to make it work. It does the same thing it did after we left Denver. Run good and then run like crap, backfiring, throwing an occasional code for cylinder 2. Once the Turbo and current tune was removed the code was constant. My only question has been, why does it run so well and then total crap the next. With the piston gone I would think it would have ran like crap at all times. But that is not what happened by a long shot. I can tell you it was a damned fast 3 cylinder when it wanted to be!!!! lol. I know Dave at PAW and Robotech worked their butts off to make it work.

I really can't answer the question sir.

·
Vendor
692 Posts
JohnWR, The tune was purchased thru DDM. It was a custom tune for the kit I bought. I was told to bring the car 1200 miles to Colorado so he could fix it. I was told he could not access his own tune. Told to buy a new ECM, which was not available for ten days. No one could access it. I paid for a different tune at the National. Not Trifecta, we got it to run, but never correctly.

The LNF/LDK engine has arrived, still in the crate. I doubt that I am even going to tear the old engine down. I just want to be over this. It was referred by Hoosier GXP who has purchased several of them and installed in his restoration cars. Supposed to have a stronger bottom end. Not going to find out, as I am not taking it apart to see. I am over the modified crap. Want a dependable car to drive on weekends and cruises.

Curt may decide to tear it apart and see what happened. Really don't care, water under the bridge. Two very miserable years of my life and a lot of money wasted. Lesson learned.
As @JohnWR stated, no one except for Trifecta can do anything with the Trifecta tunes. No other tuner can get into the Trifecta tune and modify it, read it out, etc. The Trifecta tune is not a DDMworks tune, that is why we could not read it out or modify it, the tune is not our "own tune". Trifecta is a completely different business from DDMWorks, we simply sell their tunes.

·
Vendor
692 Posts
Seriously contemplating going completely stock. Charge tubes, intake and leaving the stock tune in it. Do away with the GMPP CAI system to.

This endeavor was way more expensive than putting an LS in the car. Still haven't told the wife about it. She has been on me about doing it in the first place. This would make life hell if she found out.

According to Hoosier the bottom end is stronger, what exactly that means I have no idea. Mine did some weird stuff as far as temperatures. But never ran hot. No water in the oil at this point.

Hope to get it done by next weekend, depends on the radiator arriving in time.
The bottom end of the LDK engine is stronger than the LNF. There is more material, the block is sand cast instead of lost foam, the cylinders are stabilized on the top, etc. Much nicer block for building power than the LNF.

·
Vendor
692 Posts
Skiers, Do you think if you had chosen HPTuner with the turbo upgrade that it would have been a successful upgrade?
We have sold 100's of the 2871 turbos over the years, I still have no idea what happened with this install and how it went so sideways. Usually it has always been a simple install, tune and enjoy kinda of setup, but obviously something went wrong here during some part of the install that made this not work, something that no one could figure out.

As for why we do not offer the 2871 turbo right now, it was simply that we wanted to make it even easier for plug and play installation. We felt we needed to go back and modify some of the parts to do that and make it easier for customers to do. It was originally supposed to be off the market for a couple months, however we became busy with lots of other projects and didn't get back to it. It was never removed from the market because of an issue with how it worked.

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
I don't understand why you asked me to bring the car to the National if you knew you could not help me. You tried several cords and told me my ECM was no good. I would not have drug the car 2000 miles if it could not be fixed/tuned. Either way, I have learned a lesson. tuning if fine if you are close to the tuner, at a distance it does not work so well. I remember we had the same problem with the Mallett after I got home, you were no longer able to access it. I should have left my car alone and will do so once the new engine is in it. Enjoy the car too much to have it set for so long. Thanks for your explanation.

·
Registered
925 Posts
As for why we do not offer the 2871 turbo right now, it was simply that we wanted to make it even easier for plug and play installation. We felt we needed to go back and modify some of the parts to do that and make it easier for customers to do. It was originally supposed to be off the market for a couple months, however we became busy with lots of other projects and didn't get back to it. It was never removed from the market because of an issue with how it worked.
Are you still planning on bringing it back? If I don't end up selling my car it's something I'd been thinking about...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts