Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Randy,

Since you say the metal that you have to drill to is very thin and not much support, how is the bolts threaded into this "weak" metal are going to "hold-on" to that metal without pulling out by themselves? If I understand you correctly this bar is different from the other because it "ties-in" into the differential mount cross member and if this cross member is not very tough, how is tying your bar to this going to help strengthen it if it can not stay bolted in...?

I do reialize the other 8 bolts to the lower arms keep it in place but I'm assuming that in extreme cases the 3 bolts threaded into the center support will get to do some work by keeping the PRO-Beam securely fastened to the cross member...

BA...
The Pro-Beam does not Thread into the Crossmember metal. We supply long Stainless Steel bolts with fender washer and nuts that through bolt the entire section.
The load of each of the three Crossmember bolts is spread out on the very top side of the crossmember. Think of it as "sandwiching" the crossmember with the Pro-Beam on the bottom and thick large diameter washers on the top.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The Pro-Beam does not Thread into the Crossmember metal. We supply long Stainless Steel bolts with fender washer and nuts that through bolt the entire section.
The load of each of the three Crossmember bolts is spread out on the very top side of the crossmember. Think of it as "sandwiching" the crossmember with the Pro-Beam on the bottom and thick large diameter washers on the top.
GREAT!!!

Now that makes sense... Maybe I was having a brain cramp!!! :banghead: Thanks for explaining that... :D

One more thing to ad to my list of things to try from you guys... *hint* *hint*

BA...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just PRE-ORDERED mine!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Update **PROBLEM FIXED! DDMWORKS HAS AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE. Thanks guys!

My Borla Exhaust does NOT fit properly with the ProBeam.

The pipe misses the intended exhaust pipe cutout in the beam by about 1/3rd toward the driver side of the car.

For the pipe to have a "space clearance" of the ProBeam the pipe had to be mounted further down, which tilted the entire muffler and caused the actual exhaust tip to be pointed more toward the sky.

I'm not pleased. I spent almost $700 for the Borla Exhaust and the only part you see coming out the end of the car is CROOKED due to the ProBeam!

I had a performance shop install the DDMWorks ProBeam and my new Borla (single outlet) exhaust at the same time. I was there watching. I saw them put min. space between it and the pipe. I suggested they "grind" off that left lip of the cutout, but they said that might effect the structural integraty of the beam. I left unpleased. What am I to do?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)

The pipe misses the intended exhaust pipe cutout in the beam by about 1/3rd toward the driver side of the car.

For the pipe to have a "space clearance" of the ProBeam the pipe had to be mounted further down, which tilted the entire muffler and caused the actual exhaust tip to be pointed more toward the sky.

I'm not pleased. I spent almost $700 for the Borla Exhaust and the only part you see coming out the end of the car is CROOKED due to the ProBeam!

I had a performance shop install the DDMWorks ProBeam and my new Borla (single outlet) exhaust at the same time. I was there watching. I saw them put min. space between it and the pipe. I suggested they "grind" off that left lip of the cutout, but they said that might effect the structural integraty of the beam. I left unpleased. What am I to do?

Can you please take a picture of the area in question. we may have a solution for you....We've never seen the Borla Exhaust, but we have made a few revisions to the Pro-Beam that could correct your issue. If from the picture we can determine the new one will fit, We'll swap it out for the newer version. If not, We'll be glad to take it back even if it has been hacked up.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
april 17

Randy,
Are you guys still on target for shipping tomorrow?

·
Vendor
695 Posts

We had the chance to talk with Sunny Ragtop already and will be taking care of it for her. It turns out that we sent her the wrong brackets for her exhaust which is causing the fitment issue. We offered to pick up her car for her so that we could install the correct bracket and take the car back to her, but instead we will be traveling to Charlotte to install the new brackets for her at her local shop, problem solved.

Its a bummer when something like this happens, but we will make sure to take care of her! :thumbs:

·
Registered
132 Posts
We had the chance to talk with Sunny Ragtop already and will be taking care of it for her. It turns out that we sent her the wrong brackets for her exhaust which is causing the fitment issue. We offered to pick up her car for her so that we could install the correct bracket and take the car back to her, but instead we will be traveling to Charlotte to install the new brackets for her at her local shop, problem solved.

Its a bummer when something like this happens, but we will make sure to take care of her! :thumbs:
Just installed mine. :thumbs::D:thumbs: My reviews in the Technical section and I do have th RPI exhaust, no fitment issues what so ever.

·
Registered
129 Posts
More Photos????

·
Registered
81 Posts
Really want to do this and the backbone mod at the same time, however after much searching have not seen whether or not the pro beam will fit with RPI's GT series exhaust, hopefully someone out there has taken the plunge if not I'll be doing it in the spring time when my Sky comes out of storage.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Really want to do this and the backbone mod at the same time, however after much searching have not seen whether or not the pro beam will fit with RPI's GT series exhaust, hopefully someone out there has taken the plunge if not I'll be doing it in the spring time when my Sky comes out of storage.
I took the plunge and added the probeam and backbone with the RPi exhaust. Come on in! The water's fine. BSRL has done it too. 'Course, he's done "everything". :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the quick response cerberus!! Just wanted validation that it fit!! DDM makes some great products can't wait to have them installed, hopefully by spring their secret formula D inspired upgrade will be ready!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thanks for the quick response cerberus!! Just wanted validation that it fit!! DDM makes some great products can't wait to have them installed, hopefully by spring their secret formula D inspired upgrade will be ready!!
As cerberus said, it fits. I've got pics on my cardomain page in my signature if your interested in a looksy.

·
Registered
184 Posts

I have it, no problems with fitment after a very slight adjustment to my previously self-misinstalled GT!!!!LOL I love the way the car feels now vs how the rear tweaked before.

Clif

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
I put one on my GXP and loved it. The real test was I did a stealth install on the wife's Sky and SHE noticed it! :cheers:

That says something about the car and this product.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I emailed Dave at DDM just last week with the same question regarding the RPI GT exhaust and the ProBeam and Backbone. He said they fit with no problem and sent a photo of an existing install with the three items.

My decision now is to which one of the two DDM backbone models to order. Any comments on this? I am not sure what the benefits are on the thicker 'race' version is over the 'standard'.

- Jon

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Go big or stay home; race version! :thumbs:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts