Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
We had another batch of these show up this morning, and shipping out this afternoon!

Thanks,
Dave
Keep them coming.. If my dealer doesn't cough one up by the end of the month, I'll be taking one off your hands.. I'll be needing the Right side.. I will order thru ur webpage..:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Arrived safe and sound

Very Nice work Dave!:thumbs:
Externally you won't be able to tell them from the originals and they should hold up very well.
I can't wait to fit err... have my installer to fit them up.:jester:As soon as it gets a little warmer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dave, I am assuming at least the associated hardware is generally available via GM(screws, clips, emblems, etc.) for the Sky fender installs for those components that need to be replaced. Is this correct or does DDM recommend any vendors for associated parts that they don't stock?

Blackout

·
Registered
28 Posts
All,

I confirmed what essentially DDM is saying regarding the fenders today. I spoke with GM and also with Saturn of Smithtown NY ... there are no fenders being produced at this time. GM is currently evaluating vendors and are "several months" away from any decisions regarding such.

Also, to throw gas on the fire, one of the mechanics at Saturn I spoke with told me on the side that the fender/crack issue has been "known for a while" and was essentially "swept under the carpet" while Saturn attempted to sell all remaining inventory. They have a seen a decent percentage of Skys with some level of cracks on one or both sides. I recently thought I was OK until I changed out my rims and got underneath for a better look. Sure enough, cracks on both sides with passenger side worse than driver side. One bad bump later and now I have a major crack on that side. At best this is a poor design by Saturn since the shape of the panel/screws and composite form a very weak stress point. At worst it is a structural defect worthy of a recall (not happening of course) At any rate I would recommend that ALL Sky owners inspect these panels the next time they go in for an oil change or tires .... I am sure many people have them and may not realize it ... they tend to spider out gradually with driving and can actually split if a minor impact/pothole is hit.

DDM .... keep them coming please!

·
Vendor
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dave, I am assuming at least the associated hardware is generally available via GM(screws, clips, emblems, etc.) for the Sky fender installs for those components that need to be replaced. Is this correct or does DDM recommend any vendors for associated parts that they don't stock?

Blackout
The fenders come with the holes and mounting locations for all of the stock clips and rubber mounts that are on the fender stock but not the hardware itself. Everyone has been using their existing hardware for mounting the new fenders to the best of my knowledge. I am not sure of the status of new rubber mounts, but the clips and bolts/screws are pretty generic and some are even available at local auto parts store (advance/autozone/pep boys/napa/etc.)

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Vendor
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
All,

I confirmed what essentially DDM is saying regarding the fenders today. I spoke with GM and also with Saturn of Smithtown NY ... there are no fenders being produced at this time. GM is currently evaluating vendors and are "several months" away from any decisions regarding such.

Also, to throw gas on the fire, one of the mechanics at Saturn I spoke with told me on the side that the fender/crack issue has been "known for a while" and was essentially "swept under the carpet" while Saturn attempted to sell all remaining inventory. They have a seen a decent percentage of Skys with some level of cracks on one or both sides. I recently thought I was OK until I changed out my rims and got underneath for a better look. Sure enough, cracks on both sides with passenger side worse than driver side. One bad bump later and now I have a major crack on that side. At best this is a poor design by Saturn since the shape of the panel/screws and composite form a very weak stress point. At worst it is a structural defect worthy of a recall (not happening of course) At any rate I would recommend that ALL Sky owners inspect these panels the next time they go in for an oil change or tires .... I am sure many people have them and may not realize it ... they tend to spider out gradually with driving and can actually split if a minor impact/pothole is hit.

DDM .... keep them coming please!
This is something we did address on the fenders we are making also. We made the bottom of the new fenders a little stronger than stock to help prevent them from cracking in the future.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ummmmm yeahhhhhh, I almost forgot...I'm also going to need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. We, uhhh, got some people with chipped flaps behind their headreasts and we're gunna sorta need replacements. Mmmmmkay? Thaaaaaanks. :lol: Haha, jk...whenever DDM gets some time they should do these 4 inch guys.:D:thumbs:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Hello Dave,

A friend of mine from years ago (more than 10), we just got reconnected on FaceBook:); anyway she is a new proud owner of a 2007 Midnight Blue Sky RedLine:thumbs: unfortunately, before she got a chance to make her 1st payment someone backed into her car cracking the driver's side fender:mad: which has been that way for the last couple of months because the dealerships/repair shops could not find the part:banghead:. I just sent her a message with your website link and phone number and told her to call and ask for "Dave" stating Tarantula Sky sent her (Ms. Nancy Hall)

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I am pulling up this thread to ask how everyone is liking their DDM replacement fenders?

We are a two Sky family and now both cars have cracks developing on the lower mount area of the fender. Both cars have always been properly lifted by our local Saturn Service department, to I can definitely say that lifting is not the problem. The OEM fenders are poorly designed.:banghead:

So any feedback from those of you that have installed the DDM replacements would be greatly appreciated.

Also: Any updated information from DDM would be greatly appreciated: Any feedback from your customers? Any sense that your reinforced design may hold up better? Etc. And for the record, I think I can safely speak for everyone that we all GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS, DDM.

I am going to start by trying to get GM to replace under warranty. That being said: I am now in a bit of a quandary. Because each car has one fender cracked (Driver side on mine, and passenger side on the wife’s). So the question becomes, since we only have about 1 more year left on the bumper to bumper, will GM make good after that? And of course if they are just replacing with the same OEM fender, how long till that one cracks. I am actually hoping that the OEM stock is still unavailable. And if that is the case, I will propose that GM allow us to purchase the DDM version and honor the warranty anyway. Wish me luck with that. :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am pulling up this thread to ask how everyone is liking their DDM replacement fenders?

We are a two Sky family and now both cars have cracks developing on the lower mount area of the fender. Both cars have always been properly lifted by our local Saturn Service department, to I can definitely say that lifting is not the problem. The OEM fenders are poorly designed.:banghead:

So any feedback from those of you that have installed the DDM replacements would be greatly appreciated.

Also: Any updated information from DDM would be greatly appreciated: Any feedback from your customers? Any sense that your reinforced design may hold up better? Etc. And for the record, I think I can safely speak for everyone that we all GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS, DDM.

I am going to start by trying to get GM to replace under warranty. That being said: I am now in a bit of a quandary. Because each car has one fender cracked (Driver side on mine, and passenger side on the wife’s). So the question becomes, since we only have about 1 more year left on the bumper to bumper, will GM make good after that? And of course if they are just replacing with the same OEM fender, how long till that one cracks. I am actually hoping that the OEM stock is still unavailable. And if that is the case, I will propose that GM allow us to purchase the DDM version and honor the warranty anyway. Wish me luck with that. :lol:
There are no OEM fenders available and I seriously doubt that GM is going to pick up the tab for the replacement. There is/was no technical bulletin issued for the fenders cracking and it basically boils down to you demonstrating that this is a factory defect on your cars rather than the result of "normal wear & tear" due to driving conditions ... the usual "out clause" contained in all warranties. As I have stated in the past on other fender threads, if you take an Xray of all Sky fenders, I am willing to bet the overwhelming majority have some level of fractures around their mounting bolts. Its not like Saturn is concerned about keeping its customers satisfied anymore. Anyway, good luck with the dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
What Saturn??? It, they really do not exist anymore...neither does Pontiac!!

I have had a fender on order since 12/31/09, was told that GM has had "problems" finding a supplier that would build these things to "their specifications", nice excuse eh?
When I told them about a 3rd party making them, he said that they better watch out GM doesn't sue them...

Also said another person has a sky "in the body shop" for 4 months, and he has no idea when (if ever) another part will become available...
I told him I'll be by to get my money back, I ain't waiting on GM....

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
What Saturn??? It, they really do not exist anymore...neither does Pontiac!!

I have had a fender on order since 12/31/09, was told that GM has had "problems" finding a supplier that would build these things to "their specifications", nice excuse eh?
When I told them about a 3rd party making them, he said that they better watch out GM doesn't sue them...

Also said another person has a sky "in the body shop" for 4 months, and he has no idea when (if ever) another part will become available...
I told him I'll be by to get my money back, I ain't waiting on GM....
While the fenders do have the OEM look externally. They are made of high quality void free fiberglass. Not from the [email protected] composite material GM uses and they mount slightly differently on the bottom. Instead of having the metal strap on the bottom the fiberglass forms the mount. So technically it is not an exact copy of GM's part.
Judgeing from all of the body kits that have been produced for the solstice. I think that GM would have some problems with trying to sue DDM.
Besides the press produced from a huge [email protected] car company that doesn't want to support theyr'e products sueing a small niche parts maker filling the void would not look very good as a story on the evening news.

Saturn & Pontiac may not care what Saturn and Pontiac owners think. But GM had better if they would like the owners of these cars to continue purchasing GM products.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Update

I stopped by my local service department "The only Official Saturn Service Center left in Northeast CO". :lol: And I made them aware that BOTH of our Skys have a cracked fender. While I was there, they were just throwing another local Sky up on the rack. And I had them check the fenders on that one. Get ready to put your shocked look on: That's right, one of the fenders was cracked in the same place. :banghead:

I will be taking both of our cars in, so they can officially document our cars. And they are going to check every Sky as it comes in, for the same damage. Both of our Skys, and the other one we looked at have all been lifted only by the Service department, so that makes for three solid cases of part failure. My service department is very cooperative (they managed to get GM to pony up for the brake vacuum pump upgrade on both our 08 Skys, and I was amazed they got that done) and they have a very strong reputation with the regional GM corporate brass. So who knows, maybe they will be able to convince GM of this problem, and help out all Sky owners a little bit. :thumbs: But no, I am not holding my breath. :lol::lol::lol:

That being said, I would still like to hear from folks that have installed the DDM version and from DDM as to any feedback they have had. Because I have a feeling this would be the better answer anyway.:thumbs:

And another question I have for those of you that have noticed the stress crack around the lower mounting area: How long has the crack been there, and has it grown enough to see it coming up on the outside of the fender yet? And if so, how long did it take for the crack to extend that far? I am wondering how long we have before the crack becomes noticeable. I do have the Clear Bra installed on the rocker panel area of the fender, so I am hoping that may actually help to slow down the cracks progress just a little at least.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If GM won't replace the fender and you decide to not wait for them there is a preventative measure you can take to prevent the crack from spreading. It's called "stop drilling." Get a drill bit (i'd say about 1/8 or 9/64) and drill a hole right at the end of the crack. Meaning the crack will actually run into the hole that is drilled; not crack, space, hole; if you get what i mean.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I stopped by my local service department "The only Official Saturn Service Center left in Northeast CO". :lol: And I made them aware that BOTH of our Skys have a cracked fender. While I was there, they were just throwing another local Sky up on the rack. And I had them check the fenders on that one. Get ready to put your shocked look on: That's right, one of the fenders was cracked in the same place. :banghead:

I will be taking both of our cars in, so they can officially document our cars. And they are going to check every Sky as it comes in, for the same damage. Both of our Skys, and the other one we looked at have all been lifted only by the Service department, so that makes for three solid cases of part failure. My service department is very cooperative (they managed to get GM to pony up for the brake vacuum pump upgrade on both our 08 Skys, and I was amazed they got that done) and they have a very strong reputation with the regional GM corporate brass. So who knows, maybe they will be able to convince GM of this problem, and help out all Sky owners a little bit. :thumbs: But no, I am not holding my breath. :lol::lol::lol:

That being said, I would still like to hear from folks that have installed the DDM version and from DDM as to any feedback they have had. Because I have a feeling this would be the better answer anyway.:thumbs:

And another question I have for those of you that have noticed the stress crack around the lower mounting area: How long has the crack been there, and has it grown enough to see it coming up on the outside of the fender yet? And if so, how long did it take for the crack to extend that far? I am wondering how long we have before the crack becomes noticeable. I do have the Clear Bra installed on the rocker panel area of the fender, so I am hoping that may actually help to slow down the cracks progress just a little at least.
I packed mine away waiting for warmer weather But Ill try to find time to get them out and test fit them this week and take some pictures. So far I am very impressed with them and have no doubt that they will do a fine job.

I live on the north side of Denver in Westminster If you are going to be down this way PM me. I would have no problem with you coming by if you would like to have a look at them.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
If GM won't replace the fender and you decide to not wait for them there is a preventative measure you can take to prevent the crack from spreading. It's called "stop drilling." Get a drill bit (i'd say about 1/8 or 9/64) and drill a hole right at the end of the crack. Meaning the crack will actually run into the hole that is drilled; not crack, space, hole; if you get what i mean.
Thank You VERY MUCH!! That is a great idea. (kind of like stopping a crack in a window). :thumbs:

When they "inspect" our cars, I am going to have them effect that repair and see if that stops the problem where it is. Who knows, maybe if a person can stop the existing crack, they won't develop additional cracks because the pressure has already been relieved.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I packed mine away waiting for warmer weather But Ill try to find time to get them out and test fit them this week and take some pictures. So far I am very impressed with them and have no doubt that they will do a fine job.

I live on the north side of Denver in Westminster If you are going to be down this way PM me. I would have no problem with you coming by if you would like to have a look at them.
Thanks gadget, If I am heading that way and have time, I will send you a PM. I would like to see in person how the DDM version shakes out.

Pictures would be great!!!! Just be damn careful removing the factory ones for a "test fit" of the DDM, if you are planning on putting the factory ones back on for now. My service guys mentioned that they even had one fender break on them when they were just changing a battery. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thanks gadget, If I am heading that way and have time, I will send you a PM. I would like to see in person how the DDM version shakes out.

Pictures would be great!!!! Just be damn careful removing the factory ones for a "test fit" of the DDM, if you are planning on putting the factory ones back on for now. My service guys mentioned that they even had one fender break on them when they were just changing a battery. :banghead:

I have had both sides off a couple of times. If they cracked them taking them off. They more than likely got to rough with them. Once you take the screws and bolts out they slide right off. The hardest one is the one in the door frame it always wants to fall down into the bottom and it takes an extension or two to get to it with the socket wrench from between the door and the frame.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
While the fenders do have the OEM look externally. They are made of high quality void free fiberglass. Not from the [email protected] composite material GM uses and they mount slightly differently on the bottom. Instead of having the metal strap on the bottom the fiberglass forms the mount. So technically it is not an exact copy of GM's part.
Judgeing from all of the body kits that have been produced for the solstice. I think that GM would have some problems with trying to sue DDM.
Besides the press produced from a huge [email protected] car company that doesn't want to support theyr'e products sueing a small niche parts maker filling the void would not look very good as a story on the evening news.

Saturn & Pontiac may not care what Saturn and Pontiac owners think. But GM had better if they would like the owners of these cars to continue purchasing GM products.
:agree::agree: With your entire statement... But I didn't bother explaining it to the "parts guy"... Besides, I didn't tell him "whom" was making them...:thumbs::D

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Pictures

I had service look at and document the fender cracks today. They are going to submit a report to GM and see what they hear back. Meanwhile they are going to inspect every Sky as it comes in, to see if there is a repeating problem. Today’s conversation was interesting. Not going to hold my breath at this point, but at least they are going to keep an eye out. After consulting with their lead tech and the service manager, we decided not to attempt the “hole drill crack stop” at this point. They are going to consult with some different body shop/fabrication techs and see what they say. Ultimately, the correct answer is to replace the part anyway, with something made a little better. I have a feeling DDM will be selling a lot of fenders.

Here are pictures of both cars:

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.