Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and talked to my dealer today to see if there was any updates. During the conversation, he mentioned that Saturn dealers will be having costomers sign a dealer buy back paper. That is within 12 months the dealer has first right to buy the car back. Supposidly, this is to keep people from making money on the car through resale.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
SOME (I believe really very few) dealers are doing this as a condition of selling at M.S.R.P. There was a letter to all Saturn Retailers from Big Jill about this. If the customer doesn't want to agree to this then they are welcomed to pay "Market Value" for the SKY (in other words, whatever mark-up they decide on). I think it is a weird way of approching this "problem" but I do see the point trying to be made with this tactic. Not sure about the legal ramifications of this. I know we are not doing this because we are selling without any "Market Adjustments."

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
SKY Spy said:
SOME (I believe really very few) dealers are doing this as a condition of selling at M.S.R.P. There was a letter to all Saturn Retailers from Big Jill about this. If the customer doesn't want to agree to this then they are welcomed to pay "Market Value" for the SKY (in other words, whatever mark-up they decide on). I think it is a weird way of approching this "problem" but I do see the point trying to be made with this tactic. Not sure about the legal ramifications of this. I know we are not doing this because we are selling without any "Market Adjustments."

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:
That sounds great! Especially if it keeps the price at MSRP!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think the dealer should sell at MSRP and let the buyer do what he wants. It's not like the dealer isn't making any money on the sale. The buy back idea sucks. Now let's say you want to sell in 10 months and you have 10,000 miles on your Sky. The dealer is only going to offer you wholesale price for the car. Of course I wasn't asked to sign such a document when I picked up my Sky Mar.29th and would not. I plan on selling it when my Redline comes in for as much as I can get out of it. I take very good care of my cars and always get a premium price for them. I take care of them and I will reap the returns, not my friendly Saturn dealer. I was told recently by a Saturn saleman that the MSRP thing is being taken care of by GM allocation ajustments for those that bump the price up. That's the right way to deal with it in my opinion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
buy back

I agree with Chili. That is redic. I'm the custmomer and I do what I want mith my money and property. What ever happened to "People First" It sounds like "Money First - People Second"

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
07 Chili Pepper said:
I think the dealer should sell at MSRP and let the buyer do what he wants. It's not like the dealer isn't making any money on the sale. The buy back idea sucks. Now let's say you want to sell in 10 months and you have 10,000 miles on your Sky. The dealer is only going to offer you wholesale price for the car. Of course I wasn't asked to sign such a document when I picked up my Sky Mar.29th and would not. I plan on selling it when my Redline comes in for as much as I can get out of it. I take very good care of my cars and always get a premium price for them. I take care of them and I will reap the returns, not my friendly Saturn dealer. I was told recently by a Saturn saleman that the MSRP thing is being taken care of by GM allocation ajustments for those that bump the price up. That's the right way to deal with it in my opinion.
I also am not sure about the "buy back". If a company sells a product, and I buy it, the company should not have the ability to come back at a later date and tell me what I can do with the prduct I purchased. Especially since the company has set the purchase price in the first place.

If you find someone who is willing to pay more for your item, the company should not be allowed to come back and tell you what you can do with the product you purchased from them at their price. It's not like I am going to sell my redline when I get it, I've waited to long (since the curve concept came out).

I look at it like this, if a restricted free agent in football finds a better offer on a different team, his original has a right to match that offer. Now if Saturn is going to match an offer to get the car back, that is OK, but if they are going to be able to basically rip you off by telling you that they will only pay wholesale, then I don't think legally they can do that, nor should they be allowed to.

Of course, I am not going to have to worry about it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Gee I am driving arround in my Sky that I paid msrp for and I am also 3rd on the list for the RL. So, I would consider it real nice if the dealer "bought back" my Sky when the RL comes in. I wonder what the trade in is worth? Anyway, I'd rather trade it in than sell it outright - its easier and you don't pay sales tax on the value of the new car until they subtract the trade in.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The buy back program would only be legal if the dealer paid you whatever your asking price is. They have first right to buy the car at the selling price, that's it. They have no authority, legal or otherwise, to offer you anything less for the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts