Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my dealer from checking on my order, no change but should get VIN at first of week, hope so, looks like I can get TEX SKY as license plate, it is still open at present.:thumbs:

Was told by salesman whose brother owns a dealership in midwest that Saturn plans to ship all dealer imaged SKYS to west coast first, then work their way back across US. Remember this is just another story for added anxiety/frustration:D Has anyone else heard anything along these lines?It could or couldn't be true, just what I was told. The source is dependable, so he would not be making it up. But here again is one more possibility to add to the Forum. Any input regarding this? And the wait continuies!!!!:willy:

ERNEST:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If the rumor about them wanting to get the sky demos to the dealers at about the same time are true... then this makes sense.

send the trucks out to the west coast first... then start sending to the locations closer... in theory, they would get their cars closer together.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense to me!:thumbs: That would be the logical approach, depends how long it takes for the freight trains to reach West Coast from plant? Anybody here know railroad shipping times?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree! My dealer said the same thing. All of the cars would be sent by train. I couldn't even begin to tell you how long that would take though. Hopefully not too long!:D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
NC Sky said:
I agree! My dealer said the same thing. All of the cars would be sent by train. I couldn't even begin to tell you how long that would take though. Hopefully not too long!:D
I agree they'd go by train for longer distances -- the cars could be unloaded in the yards for local delivery, rather than sending trucks out all over the US. Years ago -- most every car sold in Chicago (less than 5 hours drive from Detroit where at the time many carsd were built) was shipped by train -- then broken down to truck...
If you think about it -- shipping to the west first makes sense if they are planning for all dealers to get their cars about the same time. . .

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
If it ends up jsut like Sol delivery places around Ohio will be the big winners since there's a distribution hub there in Lordstown.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was informed that the first batch of Sky's (production started Tues 14th Feb) will be transported to a holding area for a 2 week period, There is a load of these holding areas accross the country,They will then be dispatched in a very timed fashion so All dealers will recieve their first Skys within a day of each other.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have a GM assembly plant here in Arlington, they make Chevy Tahoes and SUV's I think. I fiqure there storage facility would be a depot for TEXAS & some points west. At least 1 -2 trains come in with cars & out with cars at least every other day. I don't know if this is one of the holding areas, it is just speculation. However I live maybe a mile from the plant, do you think I should just wonder on by there and see what i CAN SEE? I will try to find a GM employee I might know one to give me some input? I could just ease on by there once a day, HUM!!!! :confused: :cool: Secret Agent Tex on the job!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ernest said:
Just got back from my dealer from checking on my order, no change but should get VIN at first of week, hope so, looks like I can get TEX SKY as license plate, it is still open at present.:thumbs:
Was told by salesman whose brother owns a dealership in midwest that Saturn plans to ship all dealer imaged SKYS to west coast first, then work their way back across US. Remember this is just another story for added anxiety/frustration:D Has anyone else heard anything along these lines?It could or couldn't be true, just what I was told. The source is dependable, so he would not be making it up. But here again is one more possibility to add to the Forum. Any input regarding this? And the wait continuies!!!!:willy: ERNEST:thumbs:
How about a picture contest (no prizes)? Take a picture of your SKY in your driveway (not dealers showroom). Plus a copy of the date from the delivery papers and post them (not the whole thing). That way it will become clear as to what part of the country gets or does not get early delivery. And you can show your new SKY(baby) to the world. I still think there will be some deliveries by March 1st and I believe in the tooth fairy, fairy dust and fairies (sp?). That being my birthday.
p.s. I've got my camera ready!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
eldeeko said:
How about a picture contest (no prizes)? Take a picture of your SKY in your driveway (not dealers showroom). Plus a copy of the date from the delivery papers (not the whole thing). That way it will become clear as to what part of the country gets or does not get early delivery. And you can show your new SKY(baby) to the world. I still think there will be some deliveries by March 1st and I believe in the tooth fairy, fairy dust and fairies (sp?). That being my birthday.
p.s. I've got my camera ready!
COUNT ME IN... I CANT WAIT TO SHOW OFF MY... "SKYBABY".... wow... what a day for celebration that will be.... PARTY AT MY HOUSE..SkyBaby-07

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Sky Salesman said:
I was informed that the first batch of Sky's (production started Tues 14th Feb) will be transported to a holding area for a 2 week period, There is a load of these holding areas accross the country,They will then be dispatched in a very timed fashion so All dealers will recieve their first Skys within a day of each other.
When i was at my dealership last monday.... i seen the paper that is generated by the SATURN company.. to GM'S... it said.. plainly... TPW 227 .. so i can only guess.... that is FEBRUARY 27.... that is for the general commerce production to the public it said... am i just wishful thinking that is what the numbers mean? SkyBaby-07

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
usmc said:
If the rumor about them wanting to get the sky demos to the dealers at about the same time are true... then this makes sense.

send the trucks out to the west coast first... then start sending to the locations closer... in theory, they would get their cars closer together.
Is not a rumor ( :nono: ), this is the way they do things; they usualy ship the vehicles going to the farthest point and leave the other for last. :banghead:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You might be on to something here SkyBaby-07, what was the title at the top of the paper, Something like "Consolidated weekly Report? Tell me and get my GM to look it up on his computer.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Sky Dealer said:
Is not a rumor ( :nono: ), this is the way they do things; they usualy ship the vehicles going to the farthest point and leave the other for last. :banghead:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:
woo hoo I got something right!! thats 2 for me!

·
Registered
46 Posts
sent by train

The one bad thing I have noticed about cars being sent by train is what the dealerships call "rail dust". I had this crap all over the front of my brand new 04 lancer when I bought it. For those who don't know what this nasty stuff is, it looks like hundreds of little penhead sized rust spots ALL OVER the paint of the car. I tried for hours to get it off but it will not come off. Lucky for me, I told my dealer about this and they had a pro come and buff them out for me for free. So everybody be on the lookout when you go to get your sky. Look the paint over VERY well and let them know if you see any on the car. Hopefully they will fix it for free for ya.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Kinsey said:
The one bad thing I have noticed about cars being sent by train is what the dealerships call "rail dust". I had this crap all over the front of my brand new 04 lancer when I bought it. For those who don't know what this nasty stuff is, it looks like hundreds of little penhead sized rust spots ALL OVER the paint of the car. I tried for hours to get it off but it will not come off. Lucky for me, I told my dealer about this and they had a pro come and buff them out for me for free. So everybody be on the lookout when you go to get your sky. Look the paint over VERY well and let them know if you see any on the car. Hopefully they will fix it for free for ya.
Saturns dealer prep on new vehicles is a whole lot better. The car sits on the showroom floor until you get there then you and the salesman go over the Sky from head to toe and also they show you all the features. I was very surprised when my EX got her buggy from Saturn . because thats what they did as well as a rousing sendoff. Skip....:cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
rail dust

the "rail dust" actually comes from the car riding on the train. The "dust" which is basically hot metal from the rail, kicks up and lands on the paint of the car. It is very hard to see untill you put a coat of wax on the car. Then it shows up like crazy. I imagine on lighter colored cars it would be easier to see. My car is a darker grey so it only showed when the light hit it right.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Rail Dust

Kinsey said:
the "rail dust" actually comes from the car riding on the train. The "dust" which is basically hot metal from the rail, kicks up and lands on the paint of the car. It is very hard to see untill you put a coat of wax on the car. Then it shows up like crazy. I imagine on lighter colored cars it would be easier to see. My car is a darker grey so it only showed when the light hit it right.
Try this site for solution: http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/rail_dust/index.cfm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts