Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked into my dealer the other day to pick up some free tickets to the DC auto show and to ask some questions about the SKY. He doesn't seem to tell me anymore than, "we'll be getting our first one in mid-march for the floor." I'm fine with this but I am hoping to know when I can place my order. He has told me that they are allocated 20 for this year. I'm figuring I'll walk away with one in July or August which is fine. Then I asked him how many pre-orders are on the list. He said, "you are #4 and there is one person behind you." I thought this was crazy with all of the hype on this car. He then proceeded to tell me, "We stopped the list since we are only getting 20 and wanted to sell some to the general public." He has also put it in writing that he will sell at MSRP. Why would this be advantageous to a dealer?

·
Registered
46 Posts
idea

My dealer told me that because I am on the list they will not sell above msrp to me. My guess is that by selling to the general public they can raise the price a bit. Either that or because they actually have some in the lot, people will come buy one. Ours go as soon as they come in.

·
Registered
250 Posts
They know their getting 20,
They know that they won't make a huge amount of money from it.
Maybe in their minds its fair to say, get it if it's here, no reservations anylonger.

Gets the more dedicated into their cars.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have no idea why they wouldn't take more orders.

The problem with not having a sold order is that GM will not build unsold allocation cars until the end of the production run. Pontiac dealers around here have been begging anyone interested in the Solstice to throw $100 down and put their name on one, even if they intend to cancel the order, just so the dealer can get that car sooner. I am not completely positive Saturn's distribution system would work the same way since they do have some differences, but it might.

I suspect they want to see what the market will be for price before committing on price on any other cars. Either that, or they simply have not gotten many paid orders yet. I bet most people are still not aware Saturn will be making this car (most people still are not even aware of the Solstice, and GM has been doing some advertising and cars are on the streets).

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
richmcc said:
Because if you order a car, you get to specify what is on it. If they order to sell, they will load the car up with all the options, then add several thousand of dollars of dealer add ons on top of that.
:cheers: :lol: BINGO!!!:lol: :cheers:
You win.... When I discussed the "factory Ordered" cars that the Saturn Store "Had no say" in the order, I showed my list of options to my dealer. He took it to his boss and got the OK on it (This is all gentlemen’s agreement - no order still #8) to order it with what I wanted..... Why? "It has the desired equipment that we need" for "factory ordered cars." They don't want stripped down cars ordered, the money is in the Add-ons. :thumbs:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahhhh that makes sense. I spoke to the dealer at the DC auto show and asked him about MSRP markups. He told me that his dealership isn't doing it either. He said "That seems to be a west coast thing."

Rick - I noticed you want yellow also. I'm debating between the silver graphite and the yellow still. I love the way the yellow looks but I'm afraid I might get sick of it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
MrJester said:
Rick - I noticed you want yellow also. I'm debating between the silver graphite and the yellow still. I love the way the yellow looks but I'm afraid I might get sick of it.
In my case Jester:jester: The SKY will be a "pleasure Drive" only car. As in Chi town we have winters and rain and stuff like that. I am keeping my 97 SC2 for my day-to-day car. Few cars look good in yellow, and mostly sports cars.
I think the Graphite is a good choice as well, it has the ability to show off lines like many darker color cars, yet not show every speck of dust. Someone referred to it as "The New Black."
I like the way Yellow compliments chrome. For my eye it makes it stand out but not scream like a black would. You see it but is does not dominate. Additionally every bit of black trim now stands out and in many cases it adds to the overall effect of the car.
I was worried myself, until some one posted pics of a yellow SKY -- Then it was full speed ahead for me.
I actually toyed with Red -- but am taking a pass. I had one red Sports Coupe --- So I just thought I'd try a new color.
Being a Premium color (an extra $195), I figured, "What the heck!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts