Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the dealers around Portland are marking up their cars by as much as $3k. They insist that it includes a NW Protection package and theftmark. My previous saturn (1994 SC2) has had zero paint issues and don't see the need for the paint protection.

Are others seeing these dealer markups? I noticed the GM of Saturn Jill Lajdziak is against these markups. Any thoughts on how I can proceed with my Redline purchase w/o the dealer markup?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
csm said:
I noticed the dealers around Portland are marking up their cars by as much as $3k. They insist that it includes a NW Protection package and theftmark. My previous saturn (1994 SC2) has had zero paint issues and don't see the need for the paint protection.

Are others seeing these dealer markups? I noticed the GM of Saturn Jill Lajdziak is against these markups. Any thoughts on how I can proceed with my Redline purchase w/o the dealer markup?
About all you can do is say you are not going to pay it. Be prepared to take a walk. However -- bring Jill's name into the discussion and how you will be voicing your displeasure about the treatment and perhaps the story will change... Best of luck...

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Not your father's saturn

csm said:

Your previous Saturn had a lot more plastic used for panels than the Sky - the only plastic panels on the Sky are the bit between the back of the front wheels and the door. I thought that some of those protection packages included insurance beyond the factory warranty that woudl repair or replace damage and or wear not normally covered - still - if it is something someone desperately wants to sell you - it is probably at a high premium - and any type of insurance is meant to spread the cost of a few unfortunate souls around to the rest of us - even life insurance - of course we will all die someday - so we basical make a bet with the life insurance company that says I bet you $50 that I will die this month - and the insrance company bets $1,000,000 that you won't. So if you pay that $50 every month for 20 years and you are still alive - was it a good deal for you? for the insurance company? what about for the statisical number of folks who did actually die during that period and got paid out of your preimums. Still, not sure what I will do in when in comes time, but I think my local dealer doesn't do that on the Sky - they do have an environmental package that they add by defualt to all Vues - but that was in part based on the fact that around here almost all of their customer who did not get all weather mats etc on delivery came back and added them later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Red Line markups

The Saturn dealers in the Houston area want $1495 over MSRP. Supposedly this includes window tint, pinestriping, roadside hazard protection and interior protection. I told them no thanks and proceeded to order my RL from an Austin dealer at MSRP.

·
Registered
122 Posts
bottom line: if you want the car now, pay the markup. if not, look around for a dealer who isn't charging over MSRP.

pay what you want to pay. you have the power. some will power over ,they don't mind. others can't afford it, or won't pay it on principal. they don't pay. power is in the hands of the consumer.

would I pay $3,000 over for a car? absolutely not. (and i sell cars). but, i'm not into cars as much as some.

now paying a premium for a really nice guitar (like my 412ce Taylor ~$4,000) no prob :)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
ykS said:
bottom line: if you want the car now, pay the markup. if not, look around for a dealer who isn't charging over MSRP.

pay what you want to pay. you have the power. some will power over ,they don't mind. others can't afford it, or won't pay it on principal. they don't pay. power is in the hands of the consumer.

would I pay $3,000 over for a car? absolutely not. (and i sell cars). but, i'm not into cars as much as some.

now paying a premium for a really nice guitar (like my 412ce Taylor ~$4,000) no prob :)
Would you pay 20K+ for a guitar? I have one worth just that.:thumbs:
52 Fender Telecaster/beautiful sound, wouldn't sell it though, priceless.

·
Registered
62 Posts
price

Find a dealer that will sell for msrp and put a deposit down.
I have a signed price from my dealer. They have to sell it at that price.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Keep looking for another dealer...dealer here in casselberry didnt overcharge

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bihner said:
The Saturn dealers in the Houston area want $1495 over MSRP. Supposedly this includes window tint, pinestriping, roadside hazard protection and interior protection. I told them no thanks and proceeded to order my RL from an Austin dealer at MSRP.
window tint...3 windows, correct me if I am wrong, been a while since i had tint done, but 300 should cover it, rodsaide...i thought we have it anyways? say AAA plusis like 100 bucks for a year for a 2 people, pinstriping....can go from 20 bucks stickers to thousands of dollars, so unless u getting airbrush something unique, i would say walk! actually raise hell, make stink and walk! for crying out there are plenty of decent cars aroung for $30k, perhaps not as original as sky.

I would not feel ever right knowing that i let some screwball take me for the ride...as far as complaining to saturn, sure go ahead-you going to get "they are all independently owned".
this is my frst saturn to be, but I got bitter taste for this brand...when I was putting my deposite down....saturn might have been a great customer oriented company, maybe still is but not in denver area if you are buying a Sky.

just my 2.0 cents

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think dealers who are doing these markups should get fired, it's ridiculous and a total shot at what Saturn says they stand for. I made sure my dealer emailed me in writing with no mark-ups or add-ons I don't request. If they try and pull something like that, I'll simply persue legal action. but i doubt it will get to that. Good luck finding a non-nazi dealer.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Keep looking for a dealer that won't mark up. Our dealer was doing $2,400 worth of mandatory options, even on custom orders. It's illegal and they are getting away with it. Gunderson Chevrolet was shut down because they were doing the exact same thing. We told our dealer we didn't want the options and were going to go to another dealership. They changed their policy and we didn't have to buy them. They also were going to add the "Phantom Footprints" anti-theft stickers for $400. They are 6 stickers with you ID# that you put on the inside parts of your car and can only be seen with a black light when removed. A friend in the car industry said it was bogus. Make sure you get everything in writing and signed. Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
SO far every Saturn Dealership in the Dallas/Fort Worth Tx area are marking up 2.5k. Its almost like the owners (only 2 big ones with 3 stores each) got together one night and made a pact. "You mark them up and I will follow."
Its going to hurt them in the long run. I have already told two of my good customers to steer clear of Saturn. (They were thinking about looking at the new Aura). Its not worth the hassle when you are waiting 3 to 9 months for a car.
How can you add a package to something that was preordered?? The idea is it comes off the truck and is cleaned. Give me the keys after I have paid for it. Its a no brainer. I do not care how in demand the car is at the moment. In 18 months when the factory is finally cranking them out, they will be feeling a bit stupid.
I for one will gladly take a drive to another city in Texas if I can find an honest dealer that will not add some bogus protection plan.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think that the mark-up is terrible. I was lucky enough to purchase my Sky at MSRP with price protection. I did call and add window tint before delivery and it was $199. The dealerships that are adding mark-ups are going to hurt themselves in the long run. If you have to have the car now - then pay it, otherwise, shop around.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm with you!

:agree: :agree:
SO far every Saturn Dealership in the Dallas/Fort Worth Tx area are marking up 2.5k. Its almost like the owners (only 2 big ones with 3 stores each) got together one night and made a pact. "You mark them up and I will follow."
Its going to hurt them in the long run. I have already told two of my good customers to steer clear of Saturn. (They were thinking about looking at the new Aura). Its not worth the hassle when you are waiting 3 to 9 months for a car.
How can you add a package to something that was preordered?? The idea is it comes off the truck and is cleaned. Give me the keys after I have paid for it. Its a no brainer. I do not care how in demand the car is at the moment. In 18 months when the factory is finally cranking them out, they will be feeling a bit stupid.
I for one will gladly take a drive to another city in Texas if I can find an honest dealer that will not add some bogus protection plan.
:agree: :agree: :agree: I'm going to talk with my dealer here in the metroplex. I'm sure we both can find a dealership close to Dallas /Forth Worth that is not marking up their Skys. Keep me informed if you find one, and I will do the same. Maybe we'll need to make a roadtrip down to Austin or San Antonio.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Amen to that! Exactly the same crap is happening in Houston. Thats why I went to Austin to order a RL.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Saturn was know for no markup , no hassle way of selling cars. What a joke they are now !

BUNCH OF ROBBERS !

2 CENTS
Here is your two pennies back -- the huge percentage of Saturn Stores still do it the same way.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
921 Posts
Come on down to San Antonio, no markup.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No Markup Here

When I ordered my RL the dealer said that markups go against the principles Saturn was founded on and Saturn in general, and his dealership specifically, will never add markups to cars - even the RL.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I originally placed my redline deposit with one dealer who wouldn't commit to a price only that it would be priced at delivery based on MSRP. He then told me that they would automatically add 1200 worth of dealer installed options that I had to take. He finally told me that they were not placing specific orders, they were just ordering the cars with predefined set-ups and calling people on the list to see if they wanted whichever cars came in. This did not sit well with me. I went to my current dealer where the sales manager wrote up the order sheet on the spot at MSRP and told me that dealer installed options would only be included if I asked for them. He couldn't believe what this other clown was doing.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts