Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new Sky and added into costs was $1495 for tire and wheel road hazard which replaces tire and wheel if damaged by road hazard. I told salesslug that I didn't want it and he said I had no choice and that it had to be purchased.
Here on forum I was told this is a ripoff.
I would like to know if anyone else had to buy this when they ordered their new Sky.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The use of Rip off is a bit harsh -- but REQUIRED to buy? Let me check here ---- hmmmm Yes the Constitution is still in effect, :cool: so you can not be required to buy ant add-on. However, along those same lines the dealer does not have to sell without what they add on. The prices are not set by Saturn, but by the dealer. Still - this is a dealer adding high mark up items on to up their profit. Do you have to buy? No - but you may have to walk away. While going corporate is an idea - they are liable to say: The prices are not set by Saturn, but by the dealer.
Stand firm - refuse - see what happens - threaten them with Corporate, see if they back off. I know dealers have for other people here. And BTW if they ask where you get your info - tell them "From the people who know!":thumbs:

Good luck -- it is worth the fight!

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
Saturn dealers seem more sensitive than most to corporate disapproval, so it comes down to a comparison of how much they want to sell this particular car to you, vs how much you want to buy it. If you threaten them with Corporate, and they want/need to sell this car to you, they are likely to back down. If they don't need to sell this car to you, they won't.

How much do you want it ?

Is there another dealer that you can go to ?

On a very slightly positive note, Road Hazard is actually a useful thing, so this is a little less of a gouging than, say, $ 800 worth of wax, or some of the other inventive things we have read about here.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Its totally unecessary to pay that extra $1500.

All GM cars come with Roadside Assistance during your warranty period, usually 3 year-36,000 miles that covers towing and tire repair (among other things):

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/maintenance/protect/roadside/road_benefits.html

I would try and get your money back, even after the 3 years you could always get a AAA membership or another company for something like $60 a year, MUCH cheaper and you get more services too (like map service, discounts, DMV renewal, passport help etc). I know COSTCO where I get my tires offers tire warranties for something like $10 a tire, there is also manufacturer tire warranties, and to be honest, with today's steel belted radial tires its almost unheard of to have a total failure of a tire (unless you own an early Ford Explorer). At most you'll get a puncture here or there and it will cost $7 to fix.

Call corporate and see if they can help you out, at the very least they should give you an extended warranty or XM radio service or OnStar for a year something to make you happy.

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
Its only totally unnecessary to pay the extra $1500 if you do not want to buy that particular car from that particular dealer. Whether we like it or not, dealers can charge what they want to charge. Our only real option, once the dealer draws his line in the sand, and absent a signed contract with an agreed price, is to take our business elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
F.Y.I.......I think the wheel/tire pkg is good for me, its costing me $249.00...For 5 years. I still have to read all the fine print when I pick up the car but, I am definitely getting that and the 6yr/60,000 miles for $1175.00.............:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
sky king

$1,500 extra for tire and wheel hazard is a total rip-off, it sounds like the dealer is trying to get extra profit out of the deal.

Tire & Wheel sets taken from Skys with low milage are selling for less then $1,000 on E-Bay, so you could actually buy 6 tires and chrome sky wheels for what he is charging.

You just have to decide if you want the car bad enough to pay the extra $1,500 :confused:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
sky king

$1,500 extra for tire and wheel hazard is a total rip-off, it sounds like the dealer is trying to get extra profit out of the deal.

Tire & Wheel sets taken from Skys with low milage are selling for less then $1,000 on E-Bay, so you could actually buy 6 tires and chrome sky wheels for what he is charging.

You just have to decide if you want the car bad enough to pay the extra $1,500 :confused:
:agree: .....YOU RIGHT ESPECIALLY IF ITS $1500

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
As I implied before - None of these add ons are rip off on their own. If you know what you are getting and what you are paying -- the difference between $1500 and $500 for the same coverage leans into the rip-off arena. I passed even on the $500 (of course I don't get the coverage) but if some one wants it -- certainly -- go get it!
It is being forced to get it and to pay way too much for it. That is the ripping sound.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I ordered a new Sky and added into costs was $1495 for tire and wheel road hazard which replaces tire and wheel if damaged by road hazard. I told salesslug that I didn't want it and he said I had no choice and that it had to be purchased.
Here on forum I was told this is a ripoff.
I would like to know if anyone else had to buy this when they ordered their new Sky.
Same story here. :banghead: Some dealers "require" them (as a markup really..) and some don't. It is my understanding however, that it can be canceled. Do a search on required warranty. What part of the country are you in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rip ended

Well after seeing so many of you surprised at the $1500 add on I made a stop at the Saturn dealer on my way home.

First a salesman whom after hearing why I wanted to see the dealership manager quickly in my opinion became a slugger as he said everyone pays for it in Houston. I told him I guess all are owned by same company then because others areas aren't having to pay it. He then went for the manager.

I did talk to the manager who informed me that yes this dealership does charge this on all it's Sky sales. He wanted me to think I was really getting something, while at the same time telling me how Solstice buyers were paying 5 grand over sticker just to have one when they first came out. So I detected there between the lines this was in a way basically a profit mark up similar to that. I'm not saying anymore it was a outright ripoff but it sure is for profit mark up in my opinion.
I told him about this site and how no one seemed to have paid this at other dealers. He reinformed me it is charged here. So I told him I wanted out of sale and just be done with it. He thankfully said no problem as he has had this coversation with others before and he had no problem sending a refunded deposit I had paid.
I thanked him for being understanding and working with me on this matter to at least appease me.
So who knows when or if I will purchase a new Sky.
Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What Saturn dealer was it?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Well after seeing so many of you surprised at the $1500 add on I made a stop at the Saturn dealer on my way home.

First a salesman whom after hearing why I wanted to see the dealership manager quickly in my opinion became a slugger as he said everyone pays for it in Houston. I told him I guess all are owned by same company then because others areas aren't having to pay it. He then went for the manager.

I did talk to the manager who informed me that yes this dealership does charge this on all it's Sky sales. He wanted me to think I was really getting something, while at the same time telling me how Solstice buyers were paying 5 grand over sticker just to have one when they first came out. So I detected there between the lines this was in a way basically a profit mark up similar to that. I'm not saying anymore it was a outright ripoff but it sure is for profit mark up in my opinion.
I told him about this site and how no one seemed to have paid this at other dealers. He reinformed me it is charged here. So I told him I wanted out of sale and just be done with it. He thankfully said no problem as he has had this coversation with others before and he had no problem sending a refunded deposit I had paid.
I thanked him for being understanding and working with me on this matter to at least appease me.
So who knows when or if I will purchase a new Sky.
Thanks for all your input.
That "IS" a shame!!.............:cuss: ..sorry you had to go through that, why are some dealerships sooo greedy! :mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts