Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I posted here several times, the local dealers here did not form any list by date and did not give us any method to order our cars. The 'regional sales manager' orders all their Sky allocations incl color and options, then they call customers who signed up when the Sky tour came thru and those who indicated an interest. the first to show up and put down a payment gets the Sky.

Thanks to everyone here and saturnfans, I learned in January that you were actually putting deposits to secure a place in line and order Skys to your specifications. That's what inspired me to get out of town and drive 70 miles away to a different dealer who was using that 'remarkable' procedure.

Tonight the local Sales Manager called me to say they had a White Sky and I was on the 'interested list' and no one had bought it yet.

I told her that I had an order confirmed with a dealer in a different city. She sounded extremely surprised and got real snippy with me. " You mean they let you ORDER the car? What city?" I said, "Yes, I got to order all the options and color. Almost every other dealer in the country is doing it that way. I check with a couple of hundred other Sky customers every day and I've only read one other location that I remember where the customers couldn't order their preferences."

She barely got "Well thank you" out of her mouth before the click of the phone. This same lady wouldn't give my local salesman (the guy I bought my Vue from) the key to the dealer's red Sky demo last week so I could look inside it. :confused: , that's why I drove 70 miles north.

It's a horrifying thought that without you guys I would still be believing that I had to take whatever they offered me, and if I passed it up I couldn't even be sure I'd get another chance. Truly, Knowledge is Power.

·
Registered
178 Posts
dealer images!

has anyone tried to figure out at what times images are sent to the dealerships? i am curious to know if they are sent out on the same days of the month, twice a month, bi-weekly, etc. my dealer always refers to images at the end of the month or the beginning of the month......just curious..

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
VUETH1S said:
As I posted here several times, the local dealers here did not form any list by date and did not give us any method to order our cars. The 'regional sales manager' orders all their Sky allocations incl color and options, then they call customers who signed up when the Sky tour came thru and those who indicated an interest. the first to show up and put down a payment gets the Sky.

Thanks to everyone here and saturnfans, I learned in January that you were actually putting deposits to secure a place in line and order Skys to your specifications. That's what inspired me to get out of town and drive 70 miles away to a different dealer who was using that 'remarkable' procedure.

Tonight the local Sales Manager called me to say they had a White Sky and I was on the 'interested list' and no one had bought it yet.

I told her that I had an order confirmed with a dealer in a different city. She sounded extremely surprised and got real snippy with me. " You mean they let you ORDER the car? What city?" I said, "Yes, I got to order all the options and color. Almost every other dealer in the country is doing it that way. I check with a couple of hundred other Sky customers every day and I've only read one other location that I remember where the customers couldn't order their preferences."

She barely got "Well thank you" out of her mouth before the click of the phone. This same lady wouldn't give my local salesman (the guy I bought my Vue from) the key to the dealer's red Sky demo last week so I could look inside it. :confused: , that's why I drove 70 miles north.

It's a horrifying thought that without you guys I would still be believing that I had to take whatever they offered me, and if I passed it up I couldn't even be sure I'd get another chance. Truly, Knowledge is Power.
yeah I visited that same dealer in Richmond about two months ago, and the salesman told me the same thing,
I think I even posted on here about it, then I told him I already had one on order and I did not think it was fair that their customers could not order what they wanted... he just turned and walked away from me....
I don't think anywhere the regional managers order the cars... that sounds like BS to me

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
They are pulling the same crap at the Glenview dealership, here in IL. No orders, no waiting list, no deposits. They ordered the cars the way THEY wanted them and as the cars arrive at the dealership, they will call people on a phone list and whoever gets there first to buy it, it's theirs. :brentil:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
nscrbug said:
They are pulling the same crap at the Glenview dealership, here in IL. No orders, no waiting list, no deposits. They ordered the cars the way THEY wanted them and as the cars arrive at the dealership, they will call people on a phone list and whoever gets there first to buy it, it's theirs. :brentil:
The only thing Tinley Saturn (SW of Chicago) is doing is that the GM is handling the SKY orders. I still interact through my sales rep that I have bought from in the past -- but all SKY stuff is taken care of by the GM. One guy -- one source of news.:thumbs: You order what you want.
Sorry folks -- all sold. In fact the GM told me all the cars are reserved by past customers, only one guy who was visiting and saw the Chili-pepper red one on the floor asked to be put on a list. I don't know hat his chances are.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My dealer here in Concord, NC is doing the same thing. They stopped taking deposits and are ordering the rest of the cars the way the dealership wants - fully loaded. The GM said he was doing this to maximize his profit. That way, they can put on all of the dealer add-ons and make customers pay for them. :nono: At least I got in before they changed their policy!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Roseville

They are ordering the cars in Roseville CA also and then calling the customers. They are not giving them a chance to order what they want. That's why I have gone to another dealer in Fairfield and now have an order with them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Same song and dance here in Alexandria, VA. That's why I went to Maryland to find a respectable dealer.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
That is pretty bad. :brentil:

The dealer here is taking orders and even though they won't get on this year, when I went to take a test drive, folks were lining up to drive and then order the car they wanted. :D Now you know why I left Virginia.:leaving:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think anyone who orders the cars not to spec is stupid. No one is going to be buying a SKY off the lot. At least no one who really likes the car. If they want to have 3-4 for invintory so that they can lease them I agree but once the dealer has 4 cars the should hold on to those allocations so that people can custom order the cars.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
NC Sky said:
My dealer here in Concord, NC is doing the same thing. They stopped taking deposits and are ordering the rest of the cars the way the dealership wants - fully loaded. The GM said he was doing this to maximize his profit. That way, they can put on all of the dealer add-ons and make customers pay for them. :nono: At least I got in before they changed their policy!
I remember going to one when I was in the Mint Hill area... I think it was that one *Concord*, right next to a Chevy dealer that basically had a 1 foot break between the two locations. My step-brother-in-law and I went to look at a VUE. He heard me talking about it alot and was looking for an SUV, so we went to see it.

Almost 10 Seconds after looking at the 1st VUE on the lot there was a saleswoman next to us. We said we were just looking... and she stayed on us... asking if we had any questions... asking if we knew this or that... I surprised her with more knowledge then she had, she even asked if I was sales at another retailer.

All through that, I tried convincing her to just let us browse... then thanked her for her time and said we were going... then she said that the Sales Manager likes to speak to all people that want to leave. Something like she would be in trouble if we didn't. So we go over, and he basically asks why we are leaving without buying... hello... people do like to browse!!! They even had the gall to ask Kevin for his contact information so that they can call him shortly to see if they can "help" him with his decision.

There was NO need to add that stereotypical "speak to the manager" BS... come on... how un-Saturn can you get!!! I know if after a sales person exhausts all his ideas of vehicles for a customer, that they may have another sales person see if they can find the right answer *vehicle* for the customer... but to force a manager on some browsers?!?!?!

Now... I don't have a problem with them taking his contact information, if it is done the way others do it... which is the guest book with the receptionist. It is subtle and it is more personal... not pushy and people would see it as thoughtful when they recieve a followup... they wouldn't look at it as a sales call, which of course it still is.

I don't think it was Saturn of Charlotte, I went there too and had a great service experience, not sure about the Sales. But LOVED the service crew.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great Info - Knowledge is Power!

Reading your posts, here is an unofficial list - so far - of cities who are not working down a "list by deposit" and not letting customers order their cars and options.

Richmond, VA :cuss:
Glenview, IL (the only other one I was aware of previously) :eek:
Concord, NC :nono:
Roseville, CA :banghead:
Alexandria, VA :confused:

Great info everybody, I don't mean (yes I do) to keep whining :deadhorse about this but it's the Buyers' $27,000, for crying out loud, and I resent dealers doing the ordering with no consideration for the customer - it's not like a sedan where there are 20 to choose from at each dealer. :rant:

More dealer info is welcome, very good discussion. :cheers:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
todaresqSL2 said:
... So we go over, and he basically asks why we are leaving without buying... They even had the gall to ask Kevin for his contact information so that they can call him shortly to see if they can "help" him with his decision.
Dealerships DO get a "personality" like every other organization, that must come from the top.

Like I mentioned, the Sales Manager who got a little stroppy with me last night was the same person who was short and rude to her own salesman last week who asked for the keys to their Sky demo (she wouldn't give them to him) to let me see the inside of the car because he knew I had been asking about it since they had the picture of the 'Curve' up on the wall a couple of years ago.

I'm glad I'm buying from a different dealer even though it's 70 miles away. Oddly, the maintenance people here are always friendly and go the extra mile to let me know what's going on. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
I think anyone who orders the cars not to spec is stupid. No one is going to be buying a SKY off the lot. At least no one who really likes the car. If they want to have 3-4 for invintory so that they can lease them I agree but once the dealer has 4 cars the should hold on to those allocations so that people can custom order the cars.
:agree: However, I do think that people will buy the car directly off the lot. But to lose a customer by not allowing them to order the car the way they want is idiotic.

I love Saturn because their philosphy is based on customer service and building customer loyality. However, it seems that with some dealers now that they have a car that is in demand they have no need for the "Saturn Philosphy".

My original dealer's arrogance about having the sky was so transparent. They clearly and proudly stated their intention that they were going to sell the car for as much over the MSRP as they can.

When I expressed my displeasure and that I felt that it was not Saturn Philosphy to sell a car over MSRP I was simply dismissed and told I do not understand the car businsess.

Even though they did decide to sell at MSRP, I doubt that I will buy another car there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great Dealer

My dealer, Saturn of Toledo is great. When I ordered my Sky, MSRP and tell us what you want on it. When I asked how much deposit they needed "$100.00 is fine". That is why this is my third Saturn I bought there. Service dept is always good to work with also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, you can add Saturn of Irving and Saturn of Lewisville (suburbs of Dallas, TX) to the list of bad dealers. Ordering loaded up models, then as you go to the dealer to inquire you get to look at a list of expected units to be delivered. No choice, no ordering.

·
Registered
295 Posts
DallasSkyDude said:
Well, you can add Saturn of Irving and Saturn of Lewisville (suburbs of Dallas, TX) to the list of bad dealers. Ordering loaded up models, then as you go to the dealer to inquire you get to look at a list of expected units to be delivered. No choice, no ordering.
Think if restaurants operated this way:

Customer: "I would like a hamburger with fries and cole slaw."

Waiter: "I am sorry, but the only hamburger meal we have to order comes with 2 baked potatos and a bowl onion soup."

Customer: "Ok, how bout the fried shrimp?"

Waiter: "The only order of fried shrimp we have in stock comes with green beans, dressing, and slices of pineapple."

Customer: "Well I don't really want the pineapple, but I guess I will take that."

Waiter: "Oh, I am sorry sir but the gentleman at table 9 just purchased our only fried shrimp meal we have."

Well you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
ku4zs said:
Think if restaurants operated this way:

Customer: "I would like a hamburger with fries and cole slaw."

Waiter: "I am sorry, but the only hamburger meal we have to order comes with 2 baked potatos and a bowl onion soup."

Customer: "Ok, how bout the fried shrimp?"

Waiter: "The only order of fried shrimp we have in stock comes with green beans, dressing, and slices of pineapple."

Customer: "Well I don't really want the pineapple, but I guess I will take that."

Waiter: "Oh, I am sorry sir but the gentleman at table 9 just purchased our only fried shrimp meal we have."

Well you get the idea.

ROTFLMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts