Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in talking to my dealer about supporting a local car club that we are in the process of forming, but I would like to get some feedback on the ways that a dealership might support a club. Does anybody have any ideas or experience with this?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
So What you gona do!

Rich,
The type of support will depend on the type of activities your club has. For example many of the local car clubs get prizes for car shows and money for trophies. Most of the support will be advertising for the activities. If you club has a web site or publishes a newsletter then money for cost of printing and postage, cost for website. If you have T-Shirts and badges money to have them made up front set up fees. I know of a couple that organized Scenic road rallies see website: www.scenicroadrallies.com they cost money but are awesome, so a dealer could help offset the cost. It is a benefit for a dealer to advertise and pay for food or DJ at a gathering of Sky’s that is also open to the public. Lets face it if I am going to sit out in a hot parking lot for a several hours then I need an incentive for doing it.

TulsaSky

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
We had a gathering of SKYs prior to a run down the beach in SoCal. We started off at Saturn of Huntington Beach, and they were EXCELLENT. They cleared out the pad out front so we could all park our cars there. They brought in a cheese tray and bottled water and stuff. They prepared goodie bags with SKY T-Shirts and ball caps, gift card, sunblock, key ring... Lots more stuff.

They were truly super, and said "If you want to come back - any time!"

Talk to the dealer, and they'd probably love to have you there. Nothing like a gathering of SKYs to get interest from the community. But be prepared to give something in return. Allow them to invite others to come and see your cars and ask questions. But if you like you car and like talking about it, that shouldn't be a problem - right?

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
jdigiant said:
We had a gathering of SKYs prior to a run down the beach in SoCal. We started off at Saturn of Huntington Beach, and they were EXCELLENT. They cleared out the pad out front so we could all park our cars there. They brought in a cheese tray and bottled water and stuff. They prepared goodie bags with SKY T-Shirts and ball caps, gift card, sunblock, key ring... Lots more stuff.

They were truly super, and said "If you want to come back - any time!"

Talk to the dealer, and they'd probably love to have you there. Nothing like a gathering of SKYs to get interest from the community. But be prepared to give something in return. Allow them to invite others to come and see your cars and ask questions. But if you like you car and like talking about it, that shouldn't be a problem - right?

I bought mine there next time there is an event please PM. Thanks Nella

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
That’s the trade off, they give you food, T-shirts, hats etc. you sit or stand in a parking lot and show off you car and answer questions. This is the way most car shows work in my area. You show up and pay a small fee 15 to 20 dollars then they have goodie bags and door prizes or free lunch, or a discount for lunch depends on location. For the next 4-6 hours you show off you car look at the competition visit with other car owners and at the end if its a judged car show cross you fingers and hope you win a trophy. It’s a fun hobby and I am already addicted to it, may be hard in the future to decide on what car to take, my shinny new Saturn Sky or my classic restored Sunbeam Alpine, will depend on the type of show and the weather. The most fun shows are sponsored by churches and other classic car clubs, most are fund raises and the money you pay goes towards charity’s.

TulsaSky

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know of a couple that organized Scenic road rallies see website: www.scenicroadrallies.com they cost money but are awesome, so a dealer could help offset the cost.
We design & conduct these road rallies for dealerships and other private entities throughout Indiana, Ohio & Kentucky. The best way to do the rally is have the dealership supply the prizes along with food and drinks, and you charge an entry fee for each vehicle. Make sure that you are insured, have everyone entered sign a waiver and be strict about no alcohol before, during or after the rally at the dealership.

We conducted a Mini Cooper road rally for a dealership last Saturday ( See pictures at http://www.scenicroadrallies.com/photos.asp ) and we are conducting a Z Car road rally for a Nissan dealership tomorrow. When the rallies are organized properly, they are a big hit with the teams entered and the dealerships.

By the way, we have conducted rallies for Saturn dealerships in the past and we are big fans of Saturn. We each have Saturns and have come to depend on their legendary reliability and excellent gas mileage. I bought my 1994 Saturn SL new and it currently has 339,000 miles with the only "major engine work" being the replacement of the water pump and the alternator.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jdigiant said:
We had a gathering of SKYs prior to a run down the beach in SoCal. We started off at Saturn of Huntington Beach, and they were EXCELLENT. They cleared out the pad out front so we could all park our cars there. They brought in a cheese tray and bottled water and stuff. They prepared goodie bags with SKY T-Shirts and ball caps, gift card, sunblock, key ring... Lots more stuff. They were truly super, and said "If you want to come back - any time!" Talk to the dealer, and they'd probably love to have you there. Nothing like a gathering of SKYs to get interest from the community. But be prepared to give something in return. Allow them to invite others to come and see your cars and ask questions. But if you like you car and like talking about it, that shouldn't be a problem - right?
Thanks for the specific advice and experience.

We are a joint Solstice & Sky club, and we are thinking about dropping by several dealers in an area, just to say hi and promote our club, visiting both Saturn and Pontiac dealers. Then, we figure that we might latch onto one or two of them who would like us to stay longer next time, and be the launching point for an road trip. This time, however, we are planning just a 20-30 minute promotional visit just to meet people at the dealership.

A couple of questions:
1. What do you think about having both Skys and Solstices show up at the dealership?
2. What do you think we can accomplish in a 20-30 minute introductory visit (our primary purpose being to get them to promote our club to their customers)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts