Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the confusion and heightened anticipation for a new model car from Saturn I have decided to sit back and Wait to see what happens. Yes I would like a new RL sitting in my driveway. The main reasons for waiting are: 1) availability 2) price and 3) reliability. I am purchasing a used 2002 corvette with 30k miles for the same price as a std Sky. In about 3 years I will re-enter the market for a sky Red Line. at which time all the questions will have been resolved. I know I will lose the honor of being the first one on my block to own one but sometimes a more rational approach is needed. I will still be monitoring the forum to see developments as they occur. I wish all of you who do get your car at a reasonable price good fortune with your purchase:cheers:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Dond said:
With all the confusion and heightened anticipation for a new model car from Saturn I have decided to sit back and Wait to see what happens. Yes I would like a new RL sitting in my driveway. The main reasons for waiting are: 1) availability 2) price and 3) reliability. I am purchasing a used 2002 corvette with 30k miles for the same price as a std Sky. In about 3 years I will re-enter the market for a sky Red Line. at which time all the questions will have been resolved. I know I will lose the honor of being the first one on my block to own one but sometimes a more rational approach is needed. I will still be monitoring the forum to see developments as they occur. I wish all of you who do get your car at a reasonable price good fortune with your purchase:cheers:
ahhhh, poor baby no RedLine and only a CORVETTE to drive!!!! :jester: Dont worry about us, we will still be here worrying and waiting... he he Have fun driving your full size Vette while we are waiting on our baby ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing. I have a Mustang GT Vert and I still have some miles left on my extended warranty so I'll let the hype die down a bit before looking into getting one. My philosophy is never purchase a new model vehicle. Let the bugs get resolved then get one. So far it hasn't failed me yet but the more I see The Sky on the road, the more the temptation will be which really isn't a bad thing.:D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Way too pragmatic.

You guys are letting the parade pass you by. A car with this kind of excitement comes but few times in a lifetime. I have the #15 Sky delivered in the US and now have 2000 miles on her. One of the very first built, yet I have had zero problems. I have experienced none of the Sky problems mentioned in this forum. I believe that if we polled the group, most owners would be very satisfied. The pleasure I have with droves of people oooohh'n and awwwwe'n is priceless. I have owned approximately 100 new vehicles in my lifetime, many of which were new models. None, and I mean none have come close to the positive reaction I get everywhere with this Sky. It is a trip!. Not only that, but this car is a great roadster in every respect. I now have the Redline on order. By you waiting three years to get one, the parade will be over and you will have missed to fun.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Wow... sorry to hear that... . dont let the VETTE hear ya say.... I ONLY HAVE A VETTE to drive..... he may be jealous and take you for the ride of your life....LOLOL..... you will know when the time is right to get one.... when you do..... ENJOY EVERY SMILE of it...SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
342 Posts
skyfan said:
By you waiting three years to get one, the parade will be
over and you will have missed to fun.
The parade that might be over is most of the buzz about the cars looks. It will be just as enjoyable to drive three years from now, will be more available (i.e. less subject to markups), and undoubtedly more dependable. There also might be more fun cars to choose from in 3 years.

I find that fashion, in the automotive realm as with others, is mostly fleeting. If buyers of a Sky or Sol are primarily doing it to impress the neighbors and get the "what's that?" reactions, they'll be a whole lot less happy when the buzz dies down. If they're buying one primarily because it is an affordable, fun to drive car, I'll bet they'll be happier with their decision much longer.

Yeah, many people have the money and are willing to take the chance on dependability to be one of the first to get something, be it a new car or electronic gadget (myself generally included)... but in the case of the Sky, the stealerships shenanigans, the mechanical problems reported here & on the Sol forum, the long exacerbating waits for delivery, etc.etc. there are powerful motivations to wait some. I've been waiting 4-1/2 years now, and will probably have another 1/2 year to go... but I'm pretty sure the RL will be worth it to me. I've passed up many temptations during the last few years to buy an S2K, Miata, 350Z, etc. I could have bought one of those, and taken the loss when trading for the Sky RL, but chose to wait instead.

But life is far too short, so whatever you drive, enjoy!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Axel said:
If buyers of a Sky or Sol are primarily doing it to impress the neighbors and get the "what's that?" reactions, they'll be a whole lot less happy when the buzz dies down. If they're buying one primarily because it is an affordable, fun to drive car, I'll bet they'll be happier with their decision much longer.
I think it is reasonable for us to want and get, both... A great looking, rare, make your friends say "WOW" car that will be fun to drive now and in the future! Wont people buying today be just as happy with the ride in three years, regardless of buying now or later?? and if buying now has the added benefit of those extra three years of driving, and the "buzz" from being an early driver... ain't it even mo' better?

Regarding new model reliability.. I never really bought into that. I mean, yes I agree that there may be some additional mechanical issues from an unproven model... but again, I am willing to trade a few inconvenient trips to the shop (under warranty) for the fun of owning and driving the car for the next 3 years.

My daily driver is a Dodge Stratus.... Whatever minimal risks and aggravation I have ahead of me for buying a Sky are well worth the chance, as my drive will be converted from a chore to a joy!! :driving: :thumbs:

Bottom line, The best things in life come with higher risks.

Good luck on your decision!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm also waiting untill next spring to get mine. I figure that there is no point to get it in the fall in chicago since winter would be arount the corner. So just wait till spring and possibily find a used one.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
dtbrown said:
I'm also waiting untill next spring to get mine. I figure that there is no point to get it in the fall in chicago since winter would be arount the corner.
Despite my prior reply, this logic I do agree with, and can relate to, as I live in Philly. Delaying your order 6 months (Dec/Jan) to time it so it is delivered with the warm Chicago weather is mucho reasonable.

But I'm still going to plug along. I'm not fully trusting of the production levels/allocation system/dealers.... I'm "on a list" now, but I dont think I'll see my Redline untill around Christmas (thanks Santa), and wouldnt be surprised if its Feb or March before it lands in my driveway.

But thats all part of the agg that I am willing to put up with to get this car!! (or maybe I am just convincing myself its at least 6 mos away, so that when I get it in 4...)

One question... if the RLs are dribbling out of the factory now, why would you expect to find a used one in the spring? Would take a crazy set of circumstances for someone to have a RL 3-9 months and then want to sell it.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
dtbrown said:
I'm also waiting untill next spring to get mine. I figure that there is no point to get it in the fall in chicago since winter would be arount the corner. So just wait till spring and possibily find a used one.
If you order a Red Line now, you might now get it untill spring.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
No Problems

I have driven my SKY for two months now and have no problems at all. My dealer sold the SKY at MSRP and has check on me weekly to make sure I am happy...I can say my salesman is a friend now and one I would buy from in a second....as for the SKY I also have owned over 65 new cars...the only car that came close to the SKY was my 1970 Datsun 240Z, The SKY is miles ahead ...and I have had the 2K, Miata, Tr3A, Spitfire, and so on...I would not give up my SKY for any car out there....Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ahnuld said:
Regarding new model reliability.. I never really bought into that. I mean, yes I agree that there may be some additional mechanical issues from an unproven model... but again, I am willing to trade a few inconvenient trips to the shop (under warranty) for the fun of owning and driving the car for the next 3 years.
I made the mistake of buying a 1997 Jeep Wrangler SHA. The 97 was a redesign from the 95. The 98 was a huge improvement and fixed all the 97 issues.

That said, I still bought a 2007 Sky ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts