Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum (been lurking for a bit now). I currently drive a Benz SLK but I despise Mercedes' customer service and I want to trade it in for the Sky. (Though I have serious reservations about the size of the trunk).

I am planning on putting down a deposit for a Sky but I'm going to be going out of the country for the month of September. I'm nervous that if I wait until August to place my deposit the allocation will be up for my dealer. But they are claiming a 2 month wait right now so if I do it this month, it may come while I'm gone, and they said they can't hold it until I return.

I'm not in a big rush, and I can afford to wait a while, but does anyone out there know if the factory will be switching over to only Redline models in the near future? (No point in paying for extra HP when I live in SoCal). I'd hate to have to wait until next year to get the ball rolling on my Sky.

Also, on an unrelated note, does anyone know how bad the blind spot is with the top up? That is the one thing I like about my SLK...with the hard top there are no visiblity issues (unlike in the Miata I used to own, and my Mom's BMW convertible).

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm just nervous that the earlier birds will get all the Sky worms...leaving me with no new baby. :willy:

Thanks for hearing me out, and thanks for being a great way to while away the hours...

-Staci

·
Registered
102 Posts
Downpayment

Put the money down. Most likely, your Sky will NOT come before October. Hell....I ordered mine in May and the way it's going I probably won't see her until October.

On the chance it does come in, you can always get your downpayment back in full.

No lose situation, it seems.

Silver Pearl
Black/Red Leather
Manual
Monsoon 6 Disk

Waiting in Alabama........Roll Tide !!

·
Registered
420 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum. :)

I highly doubt that Saturn will only make the Redline as there is still tremendous demand for the original Sky. Besides, the extra performance is an option and not mandatory to enjoy the Sky. Take for example, the Ion RL and regular Ion. Still in production and still 2 seperate products.
Or like Mercedes' AMG division...you have the SLK AMG and regular SLK and so forth.

As for visibilty with the top up, I have had no problems. Just be sure to adjust your side and rear mirrors. You may take awhile to get used to looking over the humps on the trunk as you back up or look over to your right, but that's about it.

So go ahead and take the plunge on getting your Sky. I'm certain you will love it! :D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum (been lurking for a bit now). I currently drive a Benz SLK but I despise Mercedes' customer service and I want to trade it in for the Sky. (Though I have serious reservations about the size of the trunk). If you are buying for trunk size - the SKY is not for you

I am planning on putting down a deposit for a Sky but I'm going to be going out of the country for the month of September. I'm nervous that if I wait until August to place my deposit the allocation will be up for my dealer. But they are claiming a 2 month wait right now so if I do it this month, it may come while I'm gone, and they said they can't hold it until I return. What dealer would not hold a car for you if you order it and agree to purchase? This deal smells already! I doubt if you'll see the car before September.

I'm not in a big rush, and I can afford to wait a while, but does anyone out there know if the factory will be switching over to only Redline models in the near future? (No point in paying for extra HP when I live in SoCal). I'd hate to have to wait until next year to get the ball rolling on my Sky.They are not shifting over to Reline only -- just adding Redline as a car being built. All the models can be built at the same time on the line. That is the beauty of this set up!

Also, on an unrelated note, does anyone know how bad the blind spot is with the top up? That is the one thing I like about my SLK...with the hard top there are no visiblity issues (unlike in the Miata I used to own, and my Mom's BMW convertible).
If you aim your mirrors correctly - there are no appreciable blind spots.
Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm just nervous that the earlier birds will get all the Sky worms...leaving me with no new baby. :willy:

Thanks for hearing me out, and thanks for being a great way to while away the hours...
Best of luck!
-Staci

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum (been lurking for a bit now). I currently drive a Benz SLK but I despise Mercedes' customer service and I want to trade it in for the Sky. (Though I have serious reservations about the size of the trunk). If you are buying for trunk size - the SKY is not for you

Well said!

I am planning on putting down a deposit for a Sky but I'm going to be going out of the country for the month of September. I'm nervous that if I wait until August to place my deposit the allocation will be up for my dealer. But they are claiming a 2 month wait right now so if I do it this month, it may come while I'm gone, and they said they can't hold it until I return. What dealer would not hold a car for you if you order it and agree to purchase? This deal smells already! I doubt if you'll see the car before September.

If you aren't too picky about color and options, there are Sky's to be had, shop around!

I'm not in a big rush, and I can afford to wait a while, but does anyone out there know if the factory will be switching over to only Redline models in the near future? (No point in paying for extra HP when I live in SoCal). I'd hate to have to wait until next year to get the ball rolling on my Sky.They are not shifting over to Reline only -- just adding Redline as a car being built. All the models can be built at the same time on the line. That is the beauty of this set up!

You can buy my current SKY around Christmas when my Red Line comes in!

If you aim your mirrors correctly - there are no appreciable blind spots.

Really depends on your body size. My wife is 5'2" and has more problems than me at 5'11"

Best of luck!
-Staci

Welcome to the forum family. We can help get you through the wait!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
stacib said:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum (been lurking for a bit now). I currently drive a Benz SLK but I despise Mercedes' customer service and I want to trade it in for the Sky. (Though I have serious reservations about the size of the trunk).

I am planning on putting down a deposit for a Sky but I'm going to be going out of the country for the month of September. I'm nervous that if I wait until August to place my deposit the allocation will be up for my dealer. But they are claiming a 2 month wait right now so if I do it this month, it may come while I'm gone, and they said they can't hold it until I return.

I'm not in a big rush, and I can afford to wait a while, but does anyone out there know if the factory will be switching over to only Redline models in the near future? (No point in paying for extra HP when I live in SoCal). I'd hate to have to wait until next year to get the ball rolling on my Sky.

-Staci
The factory will not switch over and only make Red Lines. Base Solstice,Base Sky, GXP'S and Red Lines will all be made at the same time.If you want a base Sky it will be quite awhile before you get one, most list have 20 or more on it, you might not even get a 2007 it might be a 2008 depending on the length of the list. At this point you would probably be 5/6 or more on the Red Line List, and it won't be made by Spetember if your that far down on the list.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As for the visibily question, there is none. Being 6'2" I was worried that I too would have visibility problems with top up,. but none whatsoever. With the later produced SKY"s (after 6/26) it will have the electric seat adjusters which will be of more help for those of the shorter stature(is that politically correct?).:lol: :D :thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Word from my dealer is that even though a dealership receives a Red Line Allocation, they can use it for a regular SKY if they want to. And some dealers will do that to address the demand for the base model first and not advance the Red Line waiters ahead of those waiting for the base.

I would say that with the top up visibility is limited at 11:00 and 2:00 where the roof cuts low to the corners of the windshield. Things like elevated turn arrows are hard to see, but they are not "blind spots" on the road. With the mirros properly positioned, there are no "blind spots" to the rear of the car, either. If you are very short you may have a problem seeing over the passenger side hump, at about the 4:00 position - so another low object there could be hard to see. Other than that, visibility is good. The rear window is small, but it is very close so you still have a wide range of view when looking over your shoulder...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
seat adjusters

Ernest said:
With the later produced SKY"s (after 6/26) it will have the electric seat adjusters which will be of more help for those of the shorter stature(is that politically correct?).:lol: :D :thumbs:
:D I'm so glad to hear that! I'm very short (only 5'4") so it is nice to know that they are helping us height challenged people out.

Thanks for the heaps of advice to everyone who replied.

I'm psyched about placing an order. I rode in my first Sky today and loved it! (Was jealous that the dealer installed black/blue leather seats were not a Saturn option -- took a picture but haven't learned how to upload it to this site). They were gorgeous blue/black in a black sky!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Stacib........do you know if they are going to charge you over MSRP? I couldn't find a dealer in LA that was sticking to MSRP......I think the nearest dealer honoring the MSRP was Saturn of Riverside. You might want to take that into consideration before placing your deposit with the dealer.

Marco
:cheers:

stacib said:
:D I'm so glad to hear that! I'm very short (only 5'4") so it is nice to know that they are helping us height challenged people out.

Thanks for the heaps of advice to everyone who replied.

I'm psyched about placing an order. I rode in my first Sky today and loved it! (Was jealous that the dealer installed black/blue leather seats were not a Saturn option -- took a picture but haven't learned how to upload it to this site). They were gorgeous blue/black in a black sky!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
jdigiant said:
Word from my dealer is that even though a dealership receives a Red Line Allocation, they can use it for a regular SKY if they want to. And some dealers will do that to address the demand for the base model first and not advance the Red Line waiters ahead of those waiting for the base.

I would say that with the top up visibility is limited at 11:00 and 2:00 where the roof cuts low to the corners of the windshield. Things like elevated turn arrows are hard to see, but they are not "blind spots" on the road. With the mirros properly positioned, there are no "blind spots" to the rear of the car, either. If you are very short you may have a problem seeing over the passenger side hump, at about the 4:00 position - so another low object there could be hard to see. Other than that, visibility is good. The rear window is small, but it is very close so you still have a wide range of view when looking over your shoulder...
Any dealer would have to be stupid to pass on a Red Line and order a base Sky. There aren't going to be that many out there,they could miss the boat completely if they do it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Saturn of Ontario also offers MSRP. Ask for Veronika.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
deluke said:
Any dealer would have to be stupid to pass on a Red Line and order a base Sky. There aren't goint to be that many out there,they could miss the boat completely if they do it.
The comment from my dealer was "The wait lists for the base SKY are long. Most people want those. We expect a 40% Red Line allocation, but way more than 60% of our customers want the base SKY."

So they are going to pass on Red Lines and use the allocations to get the Base SKYs that their customers want.

"People first?"

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LA dealers

Thanks for the tips guys on Riverside and Ontario. I found out, like you did, that all the LA ones want over MSRP. In fact the one where I saw the blue seats marks up by $8900. I live closer to Ontario but I like that Riverside has a smaller deposit requirement, so that is probably where I will go.

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
jdigiant said:
The comment from my dealer was "The wait lists for the base SKY are long. Most people want those. We expect a 40% Red Line allocation, but way more than 60% of our customers want the base SKY."

So they are going to pass on Red Lines and use the allocations to get the Base SKYs that their customers want.

"People first?"

I would change dealers !If they can get a red line and don't it's not people first, how about the people that have Red Line orders with them. They might have the chance to get 4 or 5 all year and they are going to pass, stupid.

But whats funny about this you claim that your red line was picked up.I Know it's imposible, but thats what you said. :) :) here is your quote :

Umm... My dealer got an allocation for a Red Line, and I got the first image. I'm at 3000 on my Red Line as we speak.

Does that make me special?
Vin #1590
Took Delivery May 9th
Silver Pearl / Red Leather
Monsoon, XM, Limited Slip, Three Pedals
CAI & Borla Dual (more in + more out = goodness)
License Plate: SKY2007

Red Line Order Number KGBMPQ

:) :) :)

Boy you sure contradict yourself.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
deluke said:
I would change dealers !If they can get a red line and don't it's not people first, how about the people that have Red Line orders with them. They might have the chance to get 4 or 5 all year and they are going to pass, stupid.

But whats funny about this you claim that your red line was picked up.I Know it's imposible, but thats what you said. Boy you sure contradict yourself. :) :)
Look - if they have customers that want a base, and they have been waiting longer than the folks that showed up later and requested a Red Line, then yeah - that's people first. People that were there first, and have been waiting longest, get their car first. Take the first and last words of the preceding sentence, and you get "People... first." Is that too hard to follow?

The fact that you personally think that's "stupid" I'm sure doesn't matter to the dealership at all. And as for the people that are waiting for the base SKY, I'm sure they'd just prefer that you stop being such a buttinski.

As for my Red Line, yeah. I was told I am at 3000. I haven't updated my signature with that. That's not a contradiction. Maybe my dealer got an allocation like they said they did, and maybe they didn't. I don't know for sure, and I have no idea how you can know for sure what my dealership has or has not received in allocations. I will not say that "absolutely, for sure, it's true, and anybody else on this forum that says otherwise is full of it." That's not my style. Instead, I have asked for clarification. We'll see if there was a mixup, or if you're like what Ronald Reagan once said...

"Your problem is not what you don't know, it's what you think you know that isn't so."

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
stacib said:
Thanks for the tips guys on Riverside and Ontario. I found out, like you did, that all the LA ones want over MSRP. In fact the one where I saw the blue seats marks up by $8900. I live closer to Ontario but I like that Riverside has a smaller deposit requirement, so that is probably where I will go.

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!
Yeah there has been alot of discusion about that dealership, none of it good!.

I am glad that you found someone local that is selling at MSRP.

BTW welcome to the board.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts