Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...this maybe a stupid question....why does it take soooo long for a car to get to the dealership by train? I mean...it is not like a train stops at red lights! I have seen posts where Sky's have been on their way by train for 2 weeks! It only took me a day and a half to drive from Austin, TX to Miami...with lots of pit stops :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Karen said:
ok...this maybe a stupid question....why does it take soooo long for a car to get to the dealership by train? I mean...it is not like a train stops at red lights! I have seen posts where Sky's have been on their way by train for 2 weeks! It only took me a day and a half to drive from Austin, TX to Miami...with lots of pit stops :)
My dealer said it would take 10-14 days for their demo to arrive (in California). It supposedly shipped on the 10th... today is the 26th!!! Its the first sky they are to receive so I don't have anything to compare to. I hope it isn't the standard time for us.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't think it is the travel time. From what I read on the Solstice forum it is the stops. When a car has to switch trains to reach a final destination, it is off loaded and parked. When there are enough cars to fill the carrier car on the next train it will be loaded again. Some destinations have to switch more than once. Same goes for the truck carriers, they have to have a full load before they take off.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ooohhhh...I see. So it will be faster for me to go pick it up at the factory!:banghead: Still...I don't think it should take 2 or more weeks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
If they could have told me that I could have picked it up on the east coast, I would have flown there and picked it up myself.:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you arrange it with Saturn, I'll go to the plant (about 2 hours away) and drive it to you! :D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Karen said:
it is likely that the train does drop off cars along the way, and sometimes they may have to switch train cars from one train to another to get where it is going, The logistics for getting anything across country is a nightmare sometimes... just like taking a greyhound bus from New York to San Francisco it will take much longer than you driving yourself...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MrJester said:
If you arrange it with Saturn, I'll go to the plant (about 2 hours away) and drive it to you! :D

I have a feeling I would never see my Sky...never trust a gester:lol:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
OK,OK who put their car on a greyhound,...It's not old enough to travel on it's own....:nono: :nono: :willy: Seal9

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
don;t feel bad about the wait, I have a friend that ordered a new Mitsu 3000 GT a few years ago and it took 2 months after the car was built before he saw it... came on a slow boat from Japan... THEN on a train...

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are lucky I just ordered my Sky today and it will not be delivered till end of June early July.

Toronto Canada must be a long way from the plant.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Being in a business that uses quite a few ways of shipping: Sea, Train, LTL, and small package, I can tell you that I have seen everything when it comes to shipping times.
I once had a shipment that left Hong Kong and took only 11 days to get to CA. It then took 2 days to clear customs. Then it was loaded onto a train to cross to Chicago and then to Detroit. Well, the train got to Chicago and somehow the car was placed on the wrong train from there and went back to L.A.. I then had to wait for the train to get all the way back and then reverse and come back to Detroit. It took 7 weeks to finally receive the cargo. 11 days to go from Asia to the US, and 5+weeks from L.A. to Detroit. Go figure.
I just hope the Sky transports are luckier!

By the way, my order has been in now for nearly two weeks, and I still don't have a production week!:eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
It actually seems like some of the carriers dont want to touch these cars.

They would rather see them sit in a lot then deliver them. Or its just because they are new and havent loaded them on a truck yet.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
Being in a business that uses quite a few ways of shipping: Sea, Train, LTL, and small package, I can tell you that I have seen everything when it comes to shipping times.
I once had a shipment that left Hong Kong and took only 11 days to get to CA. It then took 2 days to clear customs. Then it was loaded onto a train to cross to Chicago and then to Detroit. Well, the train got to Chicago and somehow the car was placed on the wrong train from there and went back to L.A.. I then had to wait for the train to get all the way back and then reverse and come back to Detroit. It took 7 weeks to finally receive the cargo. 11 days to go from Asia to the US, and 5+weeks from L.A. to Detroit. Go figure.
I just hope the Sky transports are luckier!

By the way, my order has been in now for nearly two weeks, and I still don't have a production week!:eek:
Well I had the dealer order a part for my car one time, and instead of it being sent to Johnson City Tennessee it went to Johnson City TEXAS.....Geeesh

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Well I had the dealer order a part for my car one time, and instead of it being sent to Johnson City Tennessee it went to Johnson City TEXAS.....Geeesh
At least it wasn't sen't up here to Johnson City, NY... it might have gotten a bit chilled up here...:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts