Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Demolition on the former KAPPA plant in Wilmington, DE. began yesterday morning at 10 AM. They began removing the overhead tunnel between paint and body shop and will finish the tunnel today. Tomorrow morning the equipment will move to the Centerville Rd side and begin to demo paint department. This will provide a clear view of the process. It will take nine months to complete the project.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
So sad, now what's going in there... SUV's? Trucks?
Just a guess on my part, but seems there is a lot of discussion about a smaller work force in the automobile industry's future. This is a big discussion right now at VW in Germany. Could GM have sold the property? :willy:

:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
5,729 Posts
Google is my friend. From Delaware Online:
The plant that formerly housed thousands of Delaware auto workers will be leveled and redeveloped as soon as officials give developer Harvey Hanna & Associates the OK to move forward after the company submitted an exploratory plan late last week.

After demolition of the near 3-million-square-foot facility, the Boxwood Road plant will be home to a business, fulfillment and distribution campus spread across four buildings with a smaller footprint than the previous structure.

County officials are expected to expedite the approval process and allow Newport-based Harvey Hanna, which took over the former General Motors plant in October, to push ahead in the coming months.

Under the plan, Harvey Hanna proposes the construction of a modern campus designed to attract and retain 21st century businesses and jobs, serving as a new economic engine for the region.

“These plans represent a critical first step in rebuilding this storied property into a modern distribution and business campus that can provide a critical source of jobs and serve as a new and lasting economic engine for the entire region," said company president Thomas Hanna.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Also from Delaware Online:

The Boxwood facility was touted as "the future of manufacturing in Delaware" when Fisker promised to build sporty hybrid cars there. In 2010, Gov. Jack Markell announced $21.5 million in economic incentives for Fisker to reopen the plant, which had been abandoned by GM in 2009. But Fisker failed and by 2013 filed for bankruptcy without ever building a car or hiring a worker in Delaware. Only a small amount of the state's funds were returned.

Harvey Hanna purchased the site last year from Wanxiang America, which assumed ownership of the plant when it acquired Fisker's assets in 2014.
So, short course:
GM Declares Bancruptcy, shuts down production at Wilmington, sells Wilmington to Fisker, Fisker declares bancruptcy, the Chinese (Wanxiang America) buys all of Fisker's assets out of the bankruptcy, Hanna buys the plant from the Chinese and is starting to redevelop the property.

:dunno:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
JohnWR, was there a date on that article?

Oh WAIT! I'd better take John's suggestion and do a Google search myself! Here we go ..........

"Former GM plant on Boxwood Road to be demolished, Harvey Hanna says in exploratory plan
Jeff Neiburg, The News Journal Published 7:00 p.m. ET April 16, 2018"

Looks like it's future has been known for some 7 months.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Is someone watching for a pallet of big side mirrors?

Reactions: mstrjon32

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Interesting article.

I hadn't realized that the facility had existed for that long, nor that our cars came down the same line as the extinct but unlamented Chevy Shovit (in Canada called a Pontiac Accordion).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Interesting article.

I hadn't realized that the facility had existed for that long, nor that our cars came down the same line as the extinct but unlamented Chevy Shovit (in Canada called a Pontiac Accordion).
That is ironic. My very first car was a Pontiac Acadian. Loved that car - drove it until it died after nine years.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts