Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So first, I'm a noob here as the wife and I finally made a trip to the local Saturn dealer to check out the Sky. It was a nice and steamy weekend here in San Diego, and on the ride up to the dealer it read 114°F/ and 104 in the shade. Poor sales guy had one in stock and it was being detailed outside so they could bring it in and let the owner wait a few weeks while they used it as the showpiece til the next one comes in stock.

He braved the heat and led us to a tented over Sky so that they could at least not get a sunburn while working on it and showing it off. Our sales guy put up with the heat, and my wife oggling the car as I drew as many comparisons and remembered my first convertable a 95 Miata.

We were told 5-6 month wait and that they wanted a $500 deposit, which we thought was low. So we left to think about it and the proposed long wait. After a 20 minute drive home and about 30 seconds on the couch, and we called the dealer and said we'd be down before they closed to put down a deposit.

Let me just say that I haven't met a dealer that was so up front about everything, and i hope it stays that way during the long wait. We built the car on the web, and then transferred those specs to some other paperwork to be processed as our order. So to be clear:

1> Sticker price was offered and the explanation about the recent price jump was made and a word on adjustable height seating.

2> No mandatory add-ons were required so....

3> Forrest Green, Tan/Tan, Chrome rims, spoiler,and LSD

Sad thing is that we dropped the deposit close to their closing time, actually after their closing time, and were told the computers were not up and they would enter the information ASAP. We were told 5-6 months, so maybe in a few days I'll call to make sure they got the ball rolling.

Until then, nice to see such an enthusiastic group, especially those who are still waiting for delivery. I can't wait for all the goodness to be delivered. Thanks for having me as part of the group

Cheers,

Sean

·
Registered
388 Posts
We were told 3-4 months and we are now approaching 5 months (we were even high on the waiting list). Your dealer is more realistic. Welcome to the forum and the long wait. Hey, I went to school at University of San Diego. I love it down there!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Good color choices.:) You'll love it.
Add the cold air intake, it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
about 4 months so far .. sellsman tells me I am number #1 :) but I still do not have any order or production number ... but I am #1 :D
The tooth fairy and Santa are my freinds you know! :lol:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I was on my dealer list on August 12 2005. As you can see on my signature it took over nine months to get it...

Worth it?

Bet your life!:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome to the back of the line

I've been at the back of the line since May. I suppose, I've moved up some, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Everyone says it is worth the wait, but so far it hasn't been any fun at all. Welcome to the line.....it moves slowly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Welcome to the board!

When I ordered in May, I was told that the wait would be about 10 months. According to my salesman, that may now be significantly less--about 5-6 months total. The good news is that I am almost half-way to 5 months and I haven't gone bonkers yet. :willy:

So grab a seat and enjoy the long wait with the rest of us.
:cheers:

·
Registered
155 Posts
PresPD said:
1> Sticker price was offered and the explanation about the recent price jump was made and a word on adjustable height seating.
Sean, what did they say about the adjustable height seating? Are they building them in the 2008 model year, or have they started adding that feature? Please, tell me whatever they said...inquiring minds want to know! (I'm still conflicted about how low I sat in the seat of the Sky I test drove and would really prefer to be a couple inches higher with the adjustable seat).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Raise it yourself?

stacib said:
Sean, what did they say about the adjustable height seating? Are they building them in the 2008 model year, or have they started adding that feature? Please, tell me whatever they said...inquiring minds want to know! (I'm still conflicted about how low I sat in the seat of the Sky I test drove and would really prefer to be a couple inches higher with the adjustable seat).
I had the same concerns when I got my Sky. My fiance added spacers and now the seat is right where I want it and needed it to be. It took him a few minutes to get them cut and installed. Now I am so comfortable driving with or without the top. Good luck!!
Terry :thumbs:

·
Registered
53 Posts
tolaiz said:
I had the same concerns when I got my Sky. My fiance added spacers and now the seat is right where I want it and needed it to be. It took him a few minutes to get them cut and installed. Now I am so comfortable driving with or without the top. Good luck!!
Terry :thumbs:
Can you have your fiance draw a diagram and post it, so we can see how it was done:confused: Maybe he could include the complete procedure (seat removal, placement of spacers etc.):rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
If you are flexible with any of your options, let your dealer know and you may be able to get your car faster. There appears to be a lot of people who put deposits down who are now opting for different choices, such as redline, etc. Also, my dealer received two "stock" delivery cars last month.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If only the drivers seat is adjustable won't that look odd from the rear? One seat will be higher than the other.:confused:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am guessing only the seat cushion goes up and the headrest is fixed in place so it looks the same from the outside of the car. Just a guess though...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Congrats!

I ordered back in March and my car is to be here this week. It was loaded
on a train 7/14.

I agree about the Saturn method being so easy. It took all of five minutes to
write up our order and I think two of those were learning how to write my last name - lots of vwls.

Congrat's on joining the family:)

Patty

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
oakfarm said:
If only the drivers seat is adjustable won't that look odd from the rear? One seat will be higher than the other.:confused:
No different that if both seats were adjustible... either seat could be higher/lower:thumbs:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome aboard, Sean! You have just entered a group of very select individuals who either have or will soon have the finest looking roadster on the highways.:thumbs:
I've been a Sky enthusiast in-waiting for over two months now and I can tell you the first month or so is the hardest. After that it gets easier (just a little) and keeping active on the Forum is the best way to help keep your sanity. Or, if you don't, at least your in good company!!:willy:
Welcome aboard!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow,

Thanks for the welcome. Little did I know when we went to look at it and even after we put the deposit down that I would find this new forum. I'm happy I did, because I really think I know more about what to expect and when to expect it, and the wait for me will be tiresome, but in a good way. It'll be nice to dream about it for 5-6 months.

Ok, so about the seat height. I was told that the price had gone up not too long ago on the car, and when I asked if it was because of demand, I was specifically told no and that the adjustable height is to be a new feature on future orders. I'll take the dealer's word for it for now, but won't be upset if the car comes without it.

The wife and I aren't worried about the wait as we are doing other things right now with paying down our mortgage some and finally paying off my last student loan from my college years (graduated '98). So we have some time to sell her CRV and add some padding to the full downpayment on top of that. We are pretty happy with the options and probably won't change anything, although we liked the blue and I am thinking about to Monsoon or not. And we are getting the auto cause someone in our house can't and refuses to learn to drive stick...and it isn't me :)

If you look on saturnsd.com they have an inventory of 4 Sky's listed. I think we looked at the silver pearl one listed here:
link: http://www.saturnsix.com/inv/result...&color=%&search.x=49&search.y=9&search=Search

So last and not least, called the dealer today and spoke to the sales manager (should I give his name?) and he was great. I was told the order # wouldn't be issued for like 2 more months and he would call me to confirm any changes once the order code comes up on the VOM. Sales manager told me he'd be more than happy to give me the VOM codes any time I call but that he couldn't show me the actual reports that he gets. I forgot to ask about allocation limits and all that, but again 5-6 months isn't a big deal for us. I still have our 03 Acura CLs as my daily driver until then.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have my despoit at the same dealership as you did PresPD and that was 5/15/06 and now i'm still 3rd in line (was 8th) when i 1st despoit. So its going to be a long wait but its worth it :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts