Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to cancel an order and get the deposit back. My dealer claims that I cannot get teh $1000 I deposited back if I cancel the vehicle order.

The problem is that I expected the car to be here by end of May, and now don't have a car for daily usage and need one badly. I was considereing cancelling the order and buying another car.

Anyone know what I can say or "threaten" to do in order to get my money back? Did I sign a contract by putting an order in?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Call customer service at Saturn GM. They tried to do this with some Solstice people, but when you got GM involved they ended up getting their money back. It probably will work the same with the Sky.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hey Dont Give Up Yet!!!!!!

Go and find a $300 beater to get you thru the wait, it will last at least a month or two...............:cool:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had deposits at 3 dealerships ( $1000, $100, & $500). The $1000 deposit was placed at the end of March when the had an image for us, but still no build date.:confused: They said we had to take a couple dealer add ons for about $800. We later found a dealer with a short list who would sell us the car at MSRP with no unwanted add ons. We were imaged the last week of May at that dealer and have progressed farther than the 1st image has. So today we went around to collect our other deposits. They both said no problem, we'll cut the check on monday and mail it to you. They also said they'd have the car sold in about 10 minutes. Unless you signed something saying it was nonrefundable I can't see how they can keep it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I asked my dealer about the refundable deposit at least three times, once in written email. All times, he's reported that they would refund my deposit without hesistation. In fact, they haven't cashed my deposit check yet.

BUT, I agree with CHRIS67 - get yourself something to get you thru the summer until your Sky arrives. The sell the junker to buy some aftermarket add on that you just have to have :lol:

Carlie

·
Registered
517 Posts
What good is a deposit to a dealer if a person can just say give it back. I thought that was an agreement to get a product. I would not give a deposit to someone and then back out and expect it back. I consider that deposit to be a representation of me giving my word that I will buy a product. I bet if the dealer tried to give the deposit back and cancel the order the same customer would get mad and probably try to ruin the dealers business like I've heard so many on this forum talk about. Boy I bet the dealers have a lot to say about us customers behind closed doors!

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
HotSky said:
I consider that deposit to be a representation of me giving my word that I will buy a product.
The only problem is that the dealer does not have the ability to guarantee that you will get a car you want when you put down a deposit. Both sides have to enter this contract for it to be completely binding. In this case, the deposit is a showing of good faith that we are interested in purchasing the car.
If something that you want is constrained indefinitely, you should not be "forced" to buy a car that is not what you wanted when you put your money down.
Just my two cents...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Spag said:
The only problem is that the dealer does not have the ability to guarantee that you will get a car you want when you put down a deposit. Both sides have to enter this contract for it to be completely binding. In this case, the deposit is a showing of good faith that we are interested in purchasing the car.
If something that you want is constrained indefinitely, you should not be "forced" to buy a car that is not what you wanted when you put your money down.
Just my two cents...
I agree. But if a customer is guaranteed a car because of a deposit even it its a verbal agreement, he should NOT get the deposit back just because he decides he doesn't want the car anymore. If the dealer can't stand up to his end of the deal thats another matter.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
HotSky said:
I agree. But if a customer is guaranteed a car because of a deposit even it its a verbal agreement, he should NOT get the deposit back just because he decides he doesn't want the car anymore. If the dealer can't stand up to his end of the deal thats another matter.
I agree if it's a car you ordered that will now sit on their lot for a few month's, but come on, your talking about the Sky, he'll have it sold in 1 day !!!!

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
My dealer asked for 10% downpayment to place the order. Since we don't know the exact price for the rl, we looked at all my options for the base sky which came out to about 29.5k after tax. My dealer was satisfied with a 2500 down payment and the first thing they said was. "When the time comes for your order to be picked, we will do one last check of all the options you want or at this time you can ask for a refund on your DP". In no way shape or form do i think a dealer can keep your deposit without you contractually agreeing to it in writing. The only thing i could agree with is, if your car has already been imaged and built, than perhaps the dealer may keep the deposit until the car you asked to be built was sold.

·
Registered
517 Posts
deluke said:
I agree if it's a car you ordered that will now sit on their lot for a few month's, but come on, your talking about the Sky, he'll have it sold in 1 day !!!!
Just the fact that he can sell in in one day doesnt matter. He has spent time with the customer, explaining things about the sky, and doing other things pertaining to the sell that consume his time. Time is money and I think deposits generally should not be returned because of buyers cold feet.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I must be living a good life

I can not believe all this hassle over a deposit!
After I laid $1000 as a deposit to secure my spot for order, I started reading about this kind of hassle (back in Jan-Feb). The next time I stopped into teh dealer I had to ask:
If I back out -- Do I get my Depo back :confused: --> Yes - You don't want the car -- you get your mony back (we have 10 coming and have 37 people who want it -- why do we need your $1000?)
When I get my car is the deposit used toward purchase :confused: --> Of course -- it's your money!

I reads stuff like "get it in writing "-- and make sure this happens and that -- geez.... I'm glad I live in the Midwest!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
This all really boils down to what it is you sign. If you sign a Buyer's Order, they generally provide that no refunds of the deposit will be given. However, some dealers are saying that the deposit is refundable (even though the Buyer's Order says differently). I had the dealer put a "Deposit is refundable until vehicle is ordered from manufacturer" clause on the Buyer's Order. Therefore, I am contractually entitled to the return of my deposit until such time as the car is actually ordered from the manufacturer.

Other people may be at the mercy of the individual dealer's policies. One other option is that if the dealer indicated a vehicle would be available to you during a certain time period, you can argue that they have failed to perform as promised and can terminate a contract. You might have a fight on your hands, but if your deposit is large, go to small claims court if you cannot get satisfaction from either the dealer or Saturn.

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
The way I look at the deposit is this. You have a car coming in and there are a number of people wanting it. If you just took every Tom, Dick and Harry's word that they wanted the car your wait lists would be 100s of names long.

Now if you tell those same people that you require a $1,000 deposit to hold their spot in line then you narrow that list down a lot. Now when the car comes in you get first dibs on it. If you pass, it goes to the next person in line and, eventually, someone will buy it withing days. (I was told when I cancled my order with my first dealer that the car had a deposit on it an hour later from someone else.)

Now, if you're are ordering a car with your particular options then that's a little different. My deposit was just to get on the list, not to order a car to my specs.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think most of us have a place in line with a specific car and options.

·
Registered
19 Posts
bizzsky said:
Is it possible to cancel an order and get the deposit back. My dealer claims that I cannot get teh $1000 I deposited back if I cancel the vehicle order.

The problem is that I expected the car to be here by end of May, and now don't have a car for daily usage and need one badly. I was considereing cancelling the order and buying another car.

Anyone know what I can say or "threaten" to do in order to get my money back? Did I sign a contract by putting an order in?

Thanks for your help.

Dont cancel it is so worth the wait!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ethics aside - this is a legal question. Contract law is often regulated state by state by specific statues in the law itself.

In California a deposit cannot legally be non-refundable by law. No matter what the dealer tells you, or what you sign, a dealer cannot keep your deposit for a vehicle if they do not sell you one.

Other states? Who knows.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Like always, California is usually the exception..... :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts