·
Registered
63 Posts
They recommend but not necessary.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but then they talk about less performance and engine knock with lower octane....guess it is 89 for me

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I just want my Sky so I can put some gas in and drive. :banghead:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
After rasing 3 kids and struggling in my life -- I'll be nice to complain that I have to use High Octane...
I never owned a car that would "Lose performance with lower octane fuels.":cool:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
After rasing 3 kids and struggling in my life -- I'll be nice to complain that I have to use High Octane...
I never owned a car that would "Lose performance with lower octane fuels.":cool:
Back when 'Ethyl' was 43 cents a gallon, I used to use it in my lawn mower and then charge the people more when I mowed their lawn.
I could get $5 a lawn back then!

·
Registered
120 Posts
redkeygunsky

The miata recommends 91 octane, but the dealer said regular is okay.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
niteslider said:
We loaded regular in my friends sol and it runs fine
It'll run fine but you're more then likely not running at 100% performance. The engine retards timing to counteract knocking caused by using low octane fuel in a high compression ratio engine. You'll probably never really notice it unless you're really in tune with your car but it is still happening.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Had to use high octane in my lexus, got use to it.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
You will notice it in lower gas milage. To fill up a tank it will probably cost you $2 more, is that really going to break anyone??:confused:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
vstar said:
Had to use high octane in my lexus, got used to it.
:agree: Same with my Benz. Ol' Mercy did like to drink the good stuff, God rest her soul. I think the difference in cost (annualized at about $106 for me) will be well worth it for maximum enjoyment of my Sky. Given my propensity for breaking things, particularly automobiles, the peace of mind I get from following the manufacterer's recommendations in every way is pretty substantial too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts