Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the call today my car finally came in!!! Went to the dealer after work and there she was in the back with several families drooling over it. Back off everyone- it's mine! Just got done with pdi so it was still dirty but I was able to take it for a test drive. Only 16 miles on it. I noticed it had a GM CAI installed (which I did not order) and on the sales slip it was $1,295! OK, I was a little frustrated with that, but was willing to pay it to get my car. Also noticed it had a 6 disc CD which I also didn't order, and a spoiler. Then I noticed mudflaps and a GM windscreen. Hmmm, didn't order those either. Sales person said the manager must have added those on. We were told we would get MSRP and had our order in writing. Well, we have been waiting for 5 months so I was willing to pay for those extras. Then after filling out all the finance paperwork our salesperson comes back with another list of options that the car comes with. Performance suspension kit for $3,000! Polyshield coating for $700, Vehicle Theft Recovery for $400, alarm system for $800. The car was to have every possible option available bringing the total to $34,500! That was $5,000 more than what we were expecting. Our salesperson fought the manager on removing the options but he would not budge. I was soooo :mad: I was on the verge of tears. I had waited so long and promised MSRP and now they are telling me there was nothing I could do about it. I couldn't believe how greedy the dealership had become. I knew if I walked away there would be someone willing to pay $34,500 for the car. It was the principle of the whole thing that I didn't want to be forced to buy an option that I didn't want, especially $3,000 for suspension. I sadly walked away. :leaving: Don't know what to do now.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Wow, Im sorry to hear that. Im wondering if that is the same dealer I bought my first Saturn from when I lived in Fontana? Do you have anything in writing about the msrp? I hate to hear about Saturn dealers ripping customers off. :nono:
PS: I'm sure were talking about the same dealer cause I just went on Saturn Fans.com web site and did not see that dealer on the list...:cuss:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Call every dealer in your area.....or however far you are willing to drive. Tell them you are interested in any SKY that was ordered, but delivery not accepted. I know of several people who have gotten theirs that way.....you aren't obligated to take one you don't want, but you just may end up with the car you were meant to have!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
574 Posts
At this point in the game........

DonnasSky said:
Call every dealer in your area.....or however far you are willing to drive. Tell them you are interested in any SKY that was ordered, but delivery not accepted. I know of several people who have gotten theirs that way.....you aren't obligated to take one you don't want, but you just may end up with the car you were meant to have!

Good Luck!
This unfortunately may be your only option.....But I am so disapointed to hear your story...:brentil: ...the only other thing is to talk to the the dealership ONE more time and see if they will remove some of the extras....but due to the way they have behaved so far.....I'm not holding out much hope....letters to GM..Saturn (Jill)..and an lawyer may be in order...but ...in the meantime...call every saturn dealer within 200 miles!!!!!!!

There are good dealerships out there.....Keep us posted..we are here for ya.....It will work out! :cool:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bait And Switch!

A call to your attorney general and a good lawyer may be in order..ASAP!!!!!

While the car is hopefully still there.....

Chris :thumbs:

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
Your exact car is waiting in Freehold NJ...they can ship it to u if u want it...I believe with taxes it will be under 29K...it is silver pearl/red/black interior/chrome wheels/single monsoon/LSD/automatic....or do u want to drive it cross country?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Nice work Mike!

I am calling my dealership on Monday to see if they have anything...anybody else? :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Bait and switch ... :mad:
Please file a complaint with your State Attorney General. If enough complaints are on file, she/he will take action against that crook. He/she will fine and stop future action at this business to help future customers.
But you most likely will not drive out with your SKY. :confused:
After you file with your State AG, then go talk to your lawyer. It would be nice if you had the whole conversation on voice tape because everyone, including your 'friendly' sellsman, will normally cover each other in order to protect themselves and their jobs. But what they are doing is wrong and I am so damn proud of you for having the guts to walk out. They are counting on everyone wanting the car so bad that we all will accept on the add ons. And as you said, somebody will walk in and drive it home. :banghead:
Buy take action. Hell you may get more money or free stuff to settle so no legal action is taken. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
GetAboutRL said:
Bait and switch ... :mad:
Please file a complaint with your State Attorney General. If enough complaints are on file, she/he will take action against that crook. He/she will fine and stop future action at this business to help future customers.
But you most likely will not drive out with your SKY. :confused:
After you file with your State AG, then go talk to your lawyer. It would be nice if you had the whole conversation on voice tape because everyone, including your 'friendly' sellsman, will normally cover each other in order to protect themselves and their jobs. But what they are doing is wrong and I am so damn proud of you for having the guts to walk out. They are counting on everyone wanting the car so bad that we all will accept on the add ons. And as you said, somebody will walk in and drive it home. :banghead:
Buy take action. Hell you may get more money or free stuff to settle so no legal action is taken. :thumbs:
I'm not a lawyer and I don't know if this will help.

But it's worth a shot I would say.

·
Registered
574 Posts
And a letter to Jill at Saturn.........

This is so wrong........:brentil:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
moni6 said:
Got the call today my car finally came in!!! Went to the dealer after work and there she was in the back with several families drooling over it. Back off everyone- it's mine! Just got done with pdi so it was still dirty but I was able to take it for a test drive. Only 16 miles on it. I noticed it had a GM CAI installed (which I did not order) and on the sales slip it was $1,295! OK, I was a little frustrated with that, but was willing to pay it to get my car. Also noticed it had a 6 disc CD which I also didn't order, and a spoiler. Then I noticed mudflaps and a GM windscreen. Hmmm, didn't order those either. Sales person said the manager must have added those on. We were told we would get MSRP and had our order in writing. Well, we have been waiting for 5 months so I was willing to pay for those extras. Then after filling out all the finance paperwork our salesperson comes back with another list of options that the car comes with. Performance suspension kit for $3,000! Polyshield coating for $700, Vehicle Theft Recovery for $400, alarm system for $800. The car was to have every possible option available bringing the total to $34,500! That was $5,000 more than what we were expecting. Our salesperson fought the manager on removing the options but he would not budge. I was soooo :mad: I was on the verge of tears. I had waited so long and promised MSRP and now they are telling me there was nothing I could do about it. I couldn't believe how greedy the dealership had become. I knew if I walked away there would be someone willing to pay $34,500 for the car. It was the principle of the whole thing that I didn't want to be forced to buy an option that I didn't want, especially $3,000 for suspension. I sadly walked away. :leaving: Don't know what to do now.
Moni6, you did the right thing.
1) You may want to get hold of Marlboromike and get the car he is referring to. I have transported cars on commercial carriers in the past and it would be less money than the screwing you received. If you get it, take it to the dealership, show it to the SM and GM, and quietly tell them to fornicate themselves!!!!
2) File a formal complaint with the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state. Copy the dealership. If that is the wrong agency, they will refer you to the correct department owner. It won't help, but the dealership will not like it!!
3) File a written complaint with Saturn. Make sure that it gets to the GM of Saturn. I forget her name. Copy the dealership owner. Again, it won't help, but the dealership won't like it.
4) CONTACT ALL THE LOCAL TV STATIONS AND NEWSPAPERS. One of them will pick up the story. It won't help, but the dealership will REALLY not like THAT!!!

Old proverb says "don't get back, get even".

·
Registered
421 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience...you definitely did the right thing by walking...$34K is a lot and I'm not so sure people will be rushing in at that price...I've seen cars sitting on Autotrader.com in that price range.

Also contact the Better Business Bureau. You say you were told MSRP and you have a written sales order. This is definitely a bad practice and while you may not get this car at the agreed price, no dealer wants formal complaints in their history.

I was told by the dealer I purchased from that dealer complaints affect their allocations but he was referring to the ones that come in the mail from Saturn after you purchase.

I picked up my Sky by calling and getting on multiple local dealer lists. My call came when someone who had a pre-order (4 months waiting with a $3K deposit) was unable to get the rest of his financing approved, so it does work.

One other idea...sometimes the local newpaper or radio station has a consumer help line that will contact the dealer on your behalf (they do this in Chi-town). The threat is if you and the dealer can't agree on a reasonable deal (and it sounds like you were ok with some of the extras) then the news agency publishes the story. I wish you good luck and hope you get what you want.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Moni6, I am so sorry to hear that they did that to you. But I am so proud of you for standing up to them. I knew that sales manager was rotten when he told me that I would have to take all those add ons if I wanted a Sky from them, despite what Veronika said. I just never dreamed they would force you to do so when you had already placed your order. I know we can't recommend dealerships to one another on the forum, but we already spoke privately about the dealer I am using. They are doing MSRP and they can help you out. If you use them, I recommend you ask for Misty, she is great. (Unless of course that post is true about the car being sold out for the model year). Good luck to you, I know you will get your car, and in the end, you will be glad you didn't let them railroad you.

For everyone else, I know this isn't the only dealership in Southern California that is screwing everyone over. I know of another one trying to charge people $8900 over sticker as well. If you want a recommendation of an honest dealer (supposedly anyway), private message me and I will tell you last true Saturn dealer in the LA area.

Hang in there moni6...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, don't believe that bit about the salesman arguing with the manager. That's good cop/bad cop. They're in cahoots. Never believe a car salesman when he says he's working for you.

And they wonder why car salesmen are lower only than lawyers in public respect.:cuss:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
agirltrucker said:
Wow, Im sorry to hear that. Im wondering if that is the same dealer I bought my first Saturn from when I lived in Fontana? Do you have anything in writing about the msrp? I hate to hear about Saturn dealers ripping customers off. :nono:
PS: I'm sure were talking about the same dealer cause I just went on Saturn Fans.com web site and did not see that dealer on the list...:cuss:
Yes, it is the same dealer. (Ont.) Yes, I do have a printout with msrp and no extra dealer add-ons, but apparantely it does no good. I had such a great experience with them with my first saturn and I wanted to stay loyal, so it is very :banghead: to get treated like this.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
marlboromike said:
Your exact car is waiting in Freehold NJ...they can ship it to u if u want it...I believe with taxes it will be under 29K...it is silver pearl/red/black interior/chrome wheels/single monsoon/LSD/automatic....or do u want to drive it cross country?
Thanks Mike! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Either you had a contract that spells out everything or you didn't. If not that's why you are writing this complaint. I can't tell you how many people in the past year have relied on a sales persons word or even a dealers word and got screwed, get everything in writing, if they won't do it,go somewhere else. The people on a waiting list for the new Ford shelby's also got screwed, get a binding contract.........
Tout

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
moni6 said:
, especially $3,000 for suspension. I sadly walked away. :leaving: Don't know what to do now.
Oh, oh, that just hurt me to the quick. How could anyone be so awwwful? Ouch, I just feel so badly for you. I am stunned.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Tout said:
Either you had a contract that spells out everything or you didn't. If not that's why you are writing this complaint. I can't tell you how many people in the past year have relied on a sales persons word or even a dealers word and got screwed, get everything in writing, if they won't do it,go somewhere else. The people on a waiting list for the new Ford shelby's also got screwed, get a binding contract.........
Tout
When we ordered our car in March they wanted to add on $2,400 worth of options. We said we didn't want to pay for them and would go to another dealer. Our salesperson talked to the manager and said "don't worry, it's taken care of. You don't have to get the options." Then we got a new printout with our new price without added options. During our wait the owner died. He was riding his Harley and was killed by a car. So now we have a new owner, and a new manager came in. Maybe this is why we had a change from honesty to greediness. Who knows. Now our dealership is avoiding new custom orders so they can do all the dealer options and make more money.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts