Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I press the release, both buttresses pop up and the dash light says the lid is ajar. But the lid hasnt budged. I can get ahold of the edge of the lid with my finger tips, but it wont move. The solenoids work but the lid doesnt come up but the dash indicator says it is open. Whats with that?

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
I can think of two causes for this. If the springs that lift the lid are weak or broken, there is nothing to lift the latch to disengage it. With the buttresses already up, put a finger in one of the buttress pin holes and lift the lid while you push the button to release the latch. If the lid opens, you have bad springs. If it doesn't the latch operating cable may have broken.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the cable is broken, what then?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not yet. Gov says I cant go out....LOL

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where, physically, is the cable? And how do you get to it with the lid closed?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Should the emergency release in the trunk not work if the solenoid doesn't? You can access it through the wheel well after the rear wheel is removed.

Either that or do you have a reciprocating saw? :p

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
Not yet. Gov says I cant go out....LOL
Really? We can't go shopping for a lot of things because the stores are closed, but I hadn't seen anything about anyone not being allowed to go out.

where, physically, is the cable? And how do you get to it with the lid closed?
The cable is inside the trunk, and I do not know how to access it with the lid closed. Latch system failure is pretty rare, so don't jump to any conclusions.

I think the emergency release parallels the solenoid, so it may not help, but I haven't studied the system that closely, so don't really know.

My '08 will not release the main latch because the springs are weak, and I have to lift the lid as I described. Its annoying, but not the end of the world.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My cable was not broken. Some pulling at strategic points popped it open and spraying WD 40 all over the place got it working smoothly. Now while it is open I will try to make modifications that will allow me to open it if the cable is ever broken

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like a simple mod under the drivers side wheel should work for an emergency release. But for my problem, keeping everything greased and clean should do the job.

I also plan on adding some beefier springs.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Good to hear that you got it open. WD40 is a pretty good solvent to free things up, but it's a lousy lubricant, perhaps an application of a fairly light lubricant is in order.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes, WD-40 cleaned it off I will use Silicone door lock spray lube to keep it working. Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Where there is a will there is a way. Glad you got it fixed Jim. I would be careful on the heavier springs. They can cause a lot of damage, very quickly. I know a lot of people like to pop the trunk and have it spring wide open instantly. Wind catches it, damage is done to the back of the deck lid. Impossible to fix without a good body man and re paint. Two years ago at the National we had a guy that wanted to adjust his deck lid. It could not be done, the wind had blown it open and bent the rear area of the deck lid. Looking at all the cars at the National after that, it seemed a very large number had the exact same bends. Some people don't even notice it I guess. Sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
maybe just fastidious cleaning is the answer. And to the wind problem, maybe a limit cable??

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Originally, I think the trunk was designed to open a few inches. But the transformer look was kool and a lot of people added the hinge springs to pop them wide open.

There is a limiting set up from Europe. Someone knows the name. I had an extra one, but a guy named @Robotech got mine. lol

I don't think the cable is a good idea. Hard enough getting access to anything buried in the bottom of the trunk the way it is.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts