Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
Originally, I think the trunk was designed to open a few inches. But the transformer look was kool and a lot of people added the hinge springs to pop them wide open.
I agree with the first, but do not think that the full opening was intentional. When the original springs started to fatigue, the easiest fix was a stock spring that is available at most hardware and home improvement stores. That spring would clip easily across the original torsion spring, but was actually way too stiff, and that resulted in the fully opening lid. I tried it for a while, but decided I would rather help it open myself and ended up taking the helper springs back off.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
There is a limiting set up from Europe. Someone knows the name. I had an extra one, but a guy named @Robotech got mine. lol

I don't think the cable is a good idea. Hard enough getting access to anything buried in the bottom of the trunk the way it is.
This is the site for the gas spring option (The website is in German): Gasfeder f. Kofferraumdeckel
Very nice idea, but i think there would still be some damage if the wind caught the lid. The best solution if it is windy is to only open the trunk when you are standing next to it.

I agree about the cable.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I went to Lowes today, $5.07 for the package of springs and will mount them tomorrow. I am tired of trying to dig my fingers into/under the headrest to grab the edge of the lid to pull it up.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I went to Lowes today, $5.07 for the package of springs and will mount them tomorrow. I am tired of trying to dig my fingers into/under the headrest to grab the edge of the lid to pull it up.
I would think that maybe your trunk lid torsion bars are either broken or in need of a major readjustment.

:dunno:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It moves up once unstuck about 3" But it needs more force to unstick.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
where is the adjustment
If it moves up 3" once it gets un-stuck you may not be happy with the extra spring, and will almost certainly only want to install one of them.

To check alignment, look at the panel gap and the relative level around the lid. If it is even you probably do not have an alignment issue. There is obviously not a gap at the front, but if the lid is too far forward there will be an excessively large gap at the back, and the front edge seal will be very tight against the canvas top or the back of the tulip panel.

If you do have to realign the lid, all of the adjustment is in the hinge to lid bolts, and the process is more art than science. Before loosening anything you should trace the hinges with a marker so that you have a reference to where you are now.

Without the benefit of looking at it, I think that your problem may be in the latch itself. Is there a difference between opening with the top up or down? How does it act when you close it in either condition?

My '08 has weak springs and adding one of the helper springs gave me more lift than I wanted and made it more difficult to close so I am looking at a weaker option. To open the lid, I put my finger in one of the buttress latch holes to use as a handle while i push the release button. Still not totally convenient, but better than prying it up by the edge.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You are describing EXACTLY my problem. I am thinking about a chrome screen door handle on the forward edge that I can just pull up on.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
where is th adjustment
I see that JohnWR already answered that question fairly thoroughly, the adjustment in in the hinge to trunk lid attachment points. I'll repeat his warning to mark all the bolts positions well before loosening anything so that you can tell where you are in any adjustment.

Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
You are describing EXACTLY my problem. I am thinking about a chrome screen door handle on the forward edge that I can just pull up on.
Try using the buttress latch hole as a finger pull. It works great for me, and is already in place.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yea, I tried that and it scares me when I pull up and press the release button at the same time. I wonder if I will draw back a bloody stump as the latch guillotines my finger.....LOL

·
Registered
305 Posts
I learned a lot on this subject when I swapped an earlier design Plan-A convertible top with the later design Plan-B version. The process of aligning the top to the car required a lot of opening and closing the trunk and flipping of buttresses. Until I got everything aligned, one of the buttresses would sometimes get hung up. I found it quick and easy to release without the use of tools. This assumes nothing is physically broken.

1) re-latch the steel trunk lid itself by pressing down on it
2) unlatch the top up front at the windshield (to relieve horizontal pressure)
3) push the trunk release button again

I also learned that it is easy to break into the trunk when the convertible top is stored in it. Let us hope it's an "owner's emergency trick", not a thief's trick. You do need a skinny hand with long fingers. It is very clear what to do when the trunk lid is open.

1) lift the driver-side tulip door
2) reach in toward the middle of the car
3) feel for a horizontal thin steel cable
4) pull up or push down on it

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
I also learned that it is easy to break into the trunk when the convertible top is stored in it. Let us hope it's an "owner's emergency trick", not a thief's trick. You do need a skinny hand with long fingers. It is very clear what to do when the trunk lid is open.

1) lift the driver-side tulip door
2) reach in toward the middle of the car
3) feel for a horizontal thin steel cable
4) pull up or push down on it
Once you get you keyless entry programming fixed you may also learn that doing that will set off the alarm.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
That sounds like experience talking....LOL. But if you dont arm the alarm will it still go off?

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
That sounds like experience talking....LOL. But if you dont arm the alarm will it still go off?
If you do not arm the alarm it will not go off.

The trunk operates the same way that the doors operate. If you lock the car with the fob, then unlock a door with the manual pull or the key, the alarm will go off. If you lock the car with the fob, then open the trunk with the button in the glove box, the alarm will go off.

Note that the arming is delayed 30 seconds if you only push the fob's lock button once. It will arm immediately if you push it twice.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
if my keys are in the trunk....as they were....I will risk setting off the alarm...LOL

·
Registered
305 Posts
Note that the arming is delayed 30 seconds if you only push the fob's lock button once. It will arm immediately if you push it twice.
That is good information to know when testing the car after the software efforts by my mechanic. Thank you!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts