• LSD Diff NO Leak - Break in Hard/Normal - 5 Spd

Votes: 17 10.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok people. There's been a lot of discussion as to if break in has anything to do with Differential failure. So post up even if you haven't had a problem.

Everyone can learn from this.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Ok people. There's been a lot of discussion as to if break in has anything to do with Differential failure. So post up even if you haven't had a problem.

Everyone can learn from this.
Ah schucks, I waz hopping you woulda make it sum type of poll, ok no matter.

I have regular rear end, with an automatic, broken in by the manual-verbatim btw- No problems so far-3200 miles so far-:thumbs: :thumbs: :cheers: :cool:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Broke Serenity in by the manual, then drove her reasonably sane, had a differential leak around 2K I guess. Broke Mayhem in easy for 200 miles, then started spanking her good. Drive Mayhem a like I stole her, 2350 miles to date, including 14 hard launches at the strip, no problems yet, However Mayhem does have the torque tube so that could be a factor!!!

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Drove my redline like a fire was chasing me. 2800 miles and no problems with the rear. :thumbs:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Drove my base by the book for first 500 miles and the diff started to leak at 3000 miles...

I plan on driving my RL, once I get her in a couple of weeks, like I stole her, so hopefully it won't leak....:thumbs:

Too many threads here & everywhere saying to break it in hard!!!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also please for those who posted already, please go back and vote so that we can get a pretty good count. Sorry I didn't have the poll set up at first. Had to run out in the middle.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
I started to, but then had to run out, i'll fix it now

EDIT: 6:44 PM EST - Poll is set up! Go get 'em!
EXCELLENT! my vote registered--this should be vvveeeeerrrryyy interesting, GREAT JOB Antonio:thumbs: I believe you have most certainly covered ALL options, I also think our SOL friends should participate in this here poll since they have the same rear-end--:thumbs: hopefully they will not be shy and will vote--:cool:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Skips rear end has lsd

And it has been on a trip for a while. My SKIPSKY has LSD and no leaks ,,,knock on wood,,,,I broke it in like I will always drive it ,,With my foot in the floorboard.....Skip....:) :) :)

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Great point made in the other thread that breakin is far from just about the engine. While the diff problems seem to be a percentage game, from what I've read and heard as an observer, it seems you can change your odds for diff problems with how you break the car in. Aside from leaks, there's still the "clunk" which we haven't heard much about lately, as well as the "whine". At least with the '06 build year, there seems to be something, maybe slight, with running through that first 500 miles too quickly. Maybe. Driveline changes after the start of the '07 builds are going to make it a whole new guessing game.

Oh yeah, I voted. After reading all I could, I followed breakin recommendations and went a bit further, as I wanted to manage heat cycles on the mechanicals as well. I have trouble attributing my relief valve leak on my manual LSD diff to breakin, but would have less trouble attributing the whine, or possibly a pinion seal leak, had I run into those, as exascerbated by breakin. I just don't know, but continue to read and try to learn.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just a note, I voted that I had the leak... I did not know until I brought my car in for her first oil change...

No oil on the garage floor, and did not notice anything visibly wet aroubd the tranny....

However GM tech said she was leaking very little, damp around the seals and thus they fixed it.

I guess the moral of this story is I didn't think I had a problem, but in fact I did.

Make sure you are taking your car into Saturn for your service and get them to check it, even though there are no signs of leaks....

YOU MAY JUST HAVE A LEAK & NOT KNOW IT!!!

Food for thought...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm, somewhat interesting early findings.

All the leaking differential votes so far (5 out of 12) Have been LSD's.

Also, with that, they were all broken in PER MANUAL.

Very interesting indeed.

Still too early to tell, but it's something to think about.

KEEP VOTING!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did not vote because I have a Sol. But I will let you know that I knew nothing about the break in for the differential when I got mine and drove it hard right from the start. Ended up with the "whine". they changed it out for the new one and I tried to follow the guide lines with the new one and it ended up with the "leak". Go figure! By the way it is an LSD.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did not vote because I have a Sol. But I will let you know that I knew nothing about the break in for the differential when I got mine and drove it hard right from the start. Ended up with the "whine". they changed it out for the new one and I tried to follow the guide lines with the new one and it ended up with the "leak". Go figure! By the way it is an LSD.
Sol owners feel free to vote if you'd like. The differentials are the same, so it'll still help us to understand where the problem might be coming from.

What you said Devoking still goes along with what our early votes prove. LSD break in by the manual has produced all of the voted leaks.

Driving hard, although you got a whine, provided no leak.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The first thing I will do once I drive my Redline home from the dealer will be to put fresh fluids everywhere.

I will do it again at 500 miles and then at 1500 miles. At 3,000 miles I will switch to my favorite synthetic oils and fluids. I have done this with all my new vehicles and have yet to have a problem with any component of their systems.

My break-in method --- well, I have been accused of suspiciously looking like I stole each of my cars.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sol owners feel free to vote if you'd like. The differentials are the same, so it'll still help us to understand where the problem might be coming from.

What you said Devoking still goes along with what our early votes prove. LSD break in by the manual has produced all of the voted leaks.

Driving hard, although you got a whine, provided no leak.
Now I don't know how to vote since I have had two different rearends.:willy:

For further info though I will say that I put 6,000 mi. on the first one.
Then had about 3,000 mi. on the second one when it started to leak and it was the pinion seal not axle seals that leaked.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Now I don't know how to vote since I have had two different rearends.:willy:

For further info though I will say that I put 6,000 mi. on the first one.
Then had about 3,000 mi. on the second one when it started to leak and it was the pinion seal not axle seals that leaked.
LSD, 5 sp, 5k, just noticed a few spots in the garage :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
We would really like the SOL owners to participate in this poll, to me it will probably give a better feel & handle on what is what--Hmm I wonder if I or a SOL owner (preferrably) should let the SOL owners know of this poll here--Granted they would have to register, but just for this poll to us all it would be worth it--:thumbs: It is tho shaking out early one my suspicion that it IS the LSD giving problems--To early really to tell, we need more participation here, come on guys, don't just read VOTE!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts