• LSD Diff NO Leak - Break in Hard/Normal - 5 Spd

Votes: 17 10.6%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
We would really like the SOL owners to participate in this poll, to me it will probably give a better feel & handle on what is what--Hmm I wonder if I or a SOL owner (preferrably) should let the SOL owners know of this poll here--Granted they would have to register, but just for this poll to us all it would be worth it--:thumbs: It is tho shaking out early one my suspicion that it IS the LSD giving problems--To early really to tell, we need more participation here, come on guys, don't just read VOTE!!
I think that'd be a good idea. A large number of them have registered with this site anyhow. So the more the merrier. Go for it Midnite Blue

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a auto with LSD. No leak at the rear, but noticed some drops around the transmission area. Took it in, but my now ex-dealership could not find any leaks. :banghead: Although it is not much, I clearly have drops of reddish type fluid on my garage floor. Will take to another dealership who knows a thing or two about Skys! :banghead:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
I have a auto with LSD. No leak at the rear, but noticed some drops around the transmission area. Took it in, but my now ex-dealership could not find any leaks. :banghead: Although it is not much, I clearly have drops of reddish type fluid on my garage floor. Will take to another dealership who knows a thing or two about Skys! :banghead:
:agree: :agree: I would absolutely!1 Have you checked the tranny fluid yet?

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Since you asked us to participate, I just voted. Thanks for asking us Sol owners to join in. :D
You betcha!! and thanks for posting, BTW the particulars, let us know how you broke her in and any problems?:confused: Inquiring minds wanna know?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
You betcha!! and thanks for posting, BTW the particulars, let us know how you broke her in and any problems?:confused: Inquiring minds wanna know?
Solstice, 5 spd, LSD, broken-in by the book. First leak at about 2000 miles, three trips to the dealers for leaks from the relief valve. 4th trip they replaced the relief valve with a newer style. 1200 miles later, it was leaking from pinion seal, both axle seals and the relief valve. Differential replaced on the 5th trip to the dealer. Now 5000 miles without a leak of any sort. Total mileage is about 13,000.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Solstice, 5 spd, LSD, broken-in by the book. First leak at about 2000 miles, three trips to the dealers for leaks from the relief valve. 4th trip they replaced the relief valve with a newer style. 1200 miles later, it was leaking from pinion seal, both axle seals and the relief valve. Differential replaced on the 5th trip to the dealer. Now 5000 miles without a leak of any sort. Total mileage is about 13,000.
EXCELLENT!!:thumbs: and thanks SolWhat, hopefully we can gather this type of info for those who have experienced a problem and together we can figure out what and help GM fix this once & for all, thanks :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I've got an NA Solstice, manual trans, LSD. Broke it in per the manual as best as I could. (I was also new to driving a manual, so there were a few instances where I unintentioally chirped the tires or popped the clutch.)

Eleven months into ownership, with 9500 miles so far, and knock on wood, no diff problems.

·
Registered
191 Posts
2006 Solstice, 5 spd, LSD, by the book up to about 1k miles, driven hard since then, also a daily driver. First leak noted at about 16,000 miles, it was allegedly leaking from pinion seal, both axle seals, also shifter seal replaced. Vent NOT replaced. I now have 1500 miles + since the seals were done.

No abnormal clunking, no excessive whine. Note that when the seals were all replaced, the leak was MINIMAL-no puddles anywhere, fluid was noted on the exterior of the diff at a regular oil change, however it was also noted at that oil change that the fluid level in the diff was fine.

My suspicion is that the 'leak' that I had was the vent doing it's job, the only fluid on the diff that I noted between the oil change & the dealer actually looking at the car, was on the driver side, the passenger side was CLEAN.
Can't prove or disprove it now, however I am watching for more 'venting' activity... Another dealer who I talked to at a meet commented that 'perhaps' my dealer saw the opp for a bigger job, vs changing out just the vent for the newer one. And, he had no clue where I bought my Sol, so it wasn't as if he was trying to put a dig in against a particular dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Looks like our poll is starting to get some legs :thumbs: With the posting and the info from our sister site (SOL) we should get a real good picture of this problem. So far tho, I haveta tell ya, my suspicion that all of the problems were LSD's is starting to bear fruit and confirming my original thought.:cool:

I am going to haveta search the threads on both forums, I think it was in the SOL forum where one of the guys replaced the factory oil on his LSD to an Amsoil LSD type oil--don't recall the details or all the particualrs but we need to find out and see if his thoughts have been "refined" and check to see how his LSD is doing. BTW I mentioned this oil thing to my 2 Sky techs at my dealer, they thought that info was interesting--

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a Sol owner. it feels weird over here on this forum:lol: :lol: . J/K had a small diff leak. changed the pinion seal and all is good. I have a 5 spd man. with LSD.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't think the break-in method has anything to do with the differential leak. Most of the leaks are vent, shaft seal or baffling. None of these issues would be effected by the way you drive the car during break-in.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
I don't think the break-in method has anything to do with the differential leak. Most of the leaks are vent, shaft seal or baffling. None of these issues would be effected by the way you drive the car during break-in.
Hmm, I disagree with 1st part, I agree on 2nd part of the problems you state, BUT I disagree on your third part, BUT I respect your opinion--I'll let this poll speak for me, if we can get 200-300 to respond, we would have a nice feel on this matter- one way or the other--But I tend to believe my Sky technicians and I will lean in their way for the moment-:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
So far, the poll supports that a hard break-in is better than the "per manual" break-in with regards to differential leaks.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
be more specific 9 to 4 is my look in that "area" your talking about (so far). Keep an open mind and look at the 'over all' census of this poll. BTW It is not MY poll, its OUR poll--:thumbs:

·
Registered
116 Posts
9:4 is much better than 18:22 for the LSD diff leaks.

But, it is early in the poll.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
*bump*

Ok. There's 80 poll votes so far, still not as high as I would like, but we're definitely starting to see a pattern here, and we might be on to something.

It appears that the LSD is what is doing most of the leaking vs the Regular Diff.

LSD Leak vs. Reg Leak

30____vs.____2

Very clear results there.

Also, regarding the LSD, it does seem that breaking in the car with normal or hard driving is BETTER than how the manual suggests.

LSD Broken in per Manual vs. LSD Broken in Hard/Normal

26____vs.____4

Again, seems to be very clear results so far.

Let's keep up the voting so we can confirm this theory.

On a separate note, it seems that the transmission doesn't seem to have a clear affect on the eventual leak of the Differential. At least not with any clear results.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I replied no leak with a 5 speed LSD but only have 1400 miles approximately on the car. Hope I'm not premature in my No leak poll.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts