Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced the rear-end or differential leaking?

I have a spot on the garage floor in that area where the Sky is parked. I have wiped it up and over night it is there again. Looks like a heavy weight oil or lubricant.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Ernest...I thought the "vent tube issue" was related to the contaminated auto tranny? Or is there another vent tube problem related to the rear diff that I'm not aware of? :confused:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I'll let the dealership know to check the seal and vent tube.

By the way I only have 2970 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
422 Posts
nscrbug said:
Ernest...I thought the "vent tube issue" was related to the contaminated auto tranny? Or is there another vent tube problem related to the rear diff that I'm not aware of? :confused:
At the diff you have a venting valve, misfunction causes overpressure and this can be the reason for leaking seals.
Another misfunktion is known with overfilled diff's and oil is coming out of the valve.

The auto has a venting tube, under some conditions water gets in and in result you get a misfunktion of the gearbox computer which is installed inside. A bit of water contamination and the electronic won't work properly (only first gear left).

The only gearbox without any trouble is the manual :thumbs: (up to now) :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the leak and whine develop in the rear end last week. The dealer replaced the entire rear end.

Jim

·
Registered
202 Posts
espresso_jim said:
I had the leak and whine develop in the rear end last week. The dealer replaced the entire rear end.

Jim
That's a typical GM fix for a RWD differential with problems. They don't trust dealer techs to fix gears (and I don't blame them!) so they just swap out the whole pumpkin.

·
Registered
62 Posts
GMinTheDriveway said:
That's a typical GM fix for a RWD differential with problems. They don't trust dealer techs to fix gears (and I don't blame them!) so they just swap out the whole pumpkin.
This is the same differential as the Cadillac CTS/CTS-V. On the CTS-V the diff has been a nightmare, split cases. leaks, you name it. Should be OK on the SKY as its not dealing with 4000lbs and 400 horses. Vent tube leak is common. There has been some overfilling at the factory and when the diff gets hot, it may come out.
Diff whine has also been a big issue.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
GMinTheDriveway said:
Thats because the dealership has to buy a whole bunch of shims and special tools to take apart and adjust the chunk. Not really cost effective when the chunk is cheaper. ...Skip...:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
149 Posts
lasstss said:
This is the same differential as the Cadillac CTS/CTS-V. On the CTS-V the diff has been a nightmare, split cases. leaks, you name it. Should be OK on the SKY as its not dealing with 4000lbs and 400 horses. Vent tube leak is common. There has been some overfilling at the factory and when the diff gets hot, it may come out.
Diff whine has also been a big issue.
lasstss; Sad to say that your comment "Should be OK on the Sky" is proving not to be true. Perhaps I should say it is not true as far as the Solstice goes. Many Solstice owners know the service drill all to well. The problem starts out as a "bad smell" or wet spot on the ground under the car. It then goes to a vent tube or pinion seal replacement and most times both. The wet spot on the ground reappears in many cases and sometines the pinnion seal is changed again. In some cases the "whine" begins and it becomes louder and louder until the carrier is replaced. In some cases the carrier is replaced again and one Solstice owner is on his third rear carrier.:banghead: There is a problem here that not all owners have been troubled with, but it seems to be pretty widespread. I think it will show itself here as new Sky owners put more miles on their new car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Chip said:
lasstss; Sad to say that your comment "Should be OK on the Sky" is proving not to be true. Perhaps I should say it is not true as far as the Solstice goes. Many Solstice owners know the service drill all to well. The problem starts out as a "bad smell" or wet spot on the ground under the car. It then goes to a vent tube or pinion seal replacement and most times both. The wet spot on the ground reappears in many cases and sometines the pinnion seal is changed again. In some cases the "whine" begins and it becomes louder and louder until the carrier is replaced. In some cases the carrier is replaced again and one Solstice owner is on his third rear carrier.:banghead: There is a problem here that not all owners have been troubled with, but it seems to be pretty widespread. I think it will show itself here as new Sky owners put more miles on their new car.
:agree:
The problem isn't solved up to now and I think there will be no difference between Sol and the Sky at same miles. There is a spread in qualitity of the diffs, if the problem is to big they change and hope to get a better one. If not change again and again and .....:confused:
In Germany we call that procedure "Making quality by assorting" It's an expensive way of Quality management.

I fear we'll get a bigger problem with the GXP/RL/GT because of the higher torque and the same diff used. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I too have noticed a leak this past week (after nearly 4 months with nothing). I will have it fixed with my oil change.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My Sky still LEAKS!
I've a manual, little leak that was clearly coming from the relief valve. Had it replaced, verified the fluid was proper and not overfilled. Still leaking!! (5,000 miles) and I was there looking at it on the lift...yep, coming out of the relief valve.
My dealership is at a loss what to do. Replace it again or wait and see if Saturn post a service bulletine. Sick of cleaning up oil off the garage floor from a new vehicle!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I've also noticed that the shift from 1st to 2nd is producing a clunky noise. I don't know if that is from the rear end leak problem or something altogether separate. ALSO shifting into reverse is sometimes near impossible. I have put it into 1st, jog the car foward, then try reverse again. It's driving me :crazy:

·
Registered
514 Posts
C20LET_50 said:
:agree:
The problem isn't solved up to now and I think there will be no difference between Sol and the Sky at same miles. There is a spread in qualitity of the diffs, if the problem is to big they change and hope to get a better one. If not change again and again and .....:confused:
In Germany we call that procedure "Making quality by assorting" It's an expensive way of Quality management.

I fear we'll get a bigger problem with the GXP/RL/GT because of the higher torque and the same diff used. :banghead:

If you can make it over 5000 miles without needing a new diff you should be ok. The Solstice owners took a poll and 5000 seems to be the magic number where the rear end needs replacing. If you make it past that you might not have a flawed GETRAG rear end.

·
Registered
149 Posts
TOY4TWO said:
If you can make it over 5000 miles without needing a new diff you should be ok. The Solstice owners took a poll and 5000 seems to be the magic number where the rear end needs replacing. If you make it past that you might not have a flawed GETRAG rear end.
We need to be very careful about calling the carrier flawed. For all we know the application may be flawed. If the design geometry or the units alignment within the chassis is off it could cause the same problem. It is just not known (by us) yet. If GM knows they aren't saying.(yet) I don't think there is any real mileage threashold for this issue. Many with less than 5K have experienced the leaking issue. One thing to be concerned about is the lube loss out of the carrier. I suspect that the unit is getting so hot that it has created thermal expansion that forces the lube out of the unit regardles of whether it was filled to the proper level or not. This replacement of seals and relief vents is only treating the symtom and not the "root cause". Sad to say it may be the best that GM can do at this time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chip said:
We need to be very careful about calling the carrier flawed. For all we know the application may be flawed. If the design geometry or the units alignment within the chassis is off it could cause the same problem. It is just not known (by us) yet. If GM knows they aren't saying.(yet) I don't think there is any real mileage threashold for this issue. Many with less than 5K have experienced the leaking issue. One thing to be concerned about is the lube loss out of the carrier. I suspect that the unit is getting so hot that it has created thermal expansion that forces the lube out of the unit regardles of whether it was filled to the proper level or not. This replacement of seals and relief vents is only treating the symtom and not the "root cause". Sad to say it may be the best that GM can do at this time.

Is it the best GM can do or are they ignoring the problem?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts