Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I preformed the technical service bulletin on my differential. Here is my experience with my leaky rear axle.

I used this link as a how to guide.
Tech Tip: Fix for a Leaky GM Rear Axle

Basically what you need is another differential vent, 14" of 3/8" I.D. rubber hose and two hose clamps. I did not remove the axles or lower the diff. I did remove the factory muffler though. Also I would like to say that this was preformed in my driveway on ramps so there is no excuses of why you couldn't preform this yourself. Now not lowing the axle makes the process extremely hard to do because the vent is hard to reach and it is cramped under there.

I have attached pictures to explain the process, and let me warn you its dirty under there.

First pic, the vent on top of the diff under the gas tank looking right over the rear cross member.

Second pic, the vent cap removed.

Third pic, now it was quite hard to remove the vent cap. What I found was best to do was wedge a flathead screw driver under the cap and place it in between the metal tab on the diff and press down.

Fourth pic, the hose and hose clamp installed.

Fifth pic, routing the hose up beside the gas tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the last pic, I secured the hose to one of the gas tank supports using a stainless steel zip tie. The hose clamp is loose in this pic but I did tighten it.

After that I drained the diff and replaced the fluid. Now go fix your leaky differential.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
What part number did you use for the new vent? Where did you find it?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I order all my parts from gmpartseast.com. You have to put in that you have a Solstice because they don't sell Saturn parts. As for the part number, I just dig through the diagrams until I find the part I need. To save you the effort here is a link.

2008 Pontiac Solstice - MM0500203 Differential Carrier, Part 1

It is item #23 on that page. I will warn you, sometimes the shipping in really expensive and other times it is reasonably priced. Either way it is always cheaper than either of my local dealers(the Chevy place that used to sell Saturn, or the Buick/GMC place that used to sell Pontiac).

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Thank you for the info!

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I am the second owner. From what I can tell taking a look underneath it hasn't been done. I was under the impression it was a TSB, not an actual recall.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Or are you talking about the seal? Mine is an 08, again, from what I read it was fixed after 07 and my VIN isn't a part of that recall.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
The recall was for a leaking pinion seal.

The subject for discussion here, a leaky diff vent, was not subject to a recall, but a TSB was issue describing the remedy approved by GM.

TSB is GM short speak for "Technical Service Bulletin", in other words, if this part is leaking, here is how to fix it.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Replaced by part number - 19132947

Best price I found was ebay:

GM Axle Rear Housing Assembly Vent 19132947 | eBay
I'm wondering if that is the correct part?

Look at the bottom drawing, below. Directly to the left of "#11" is a hose and fitting which apparently goes to the top of the differential. Although it does not have a part #, wouldn't that be more appropriate?

Image taken from this page:
http://www.partswebsite.com/gmautoparts/index.php?i=2&model=818&make=146&year=2008&section=23&catid=10047&type=parts&subcatid=&item_collision=0&items=none&image=NSP080&catid=10047

·
Registered
517 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I ordered the vent cap from a gm dealer on eBay and the packet has the old part no 15852707 and bar code printed on the plastic bag it's in, with a piece of tape above with the new part no. 19132947 Written on it. So was the vent redesigned to be better or is it just as good to use the old part number vent cap?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I ordered the vent cap from a gm dealer on eBay and the packet has the old part no 15852707 and bar code printed on the plastic bag it's in, with a piece of tape above with the new part no. 19132947 Written on it. So was the vent redesigned to be better or is it just as good to use the old part number vent cap?
The original vent/cap was plastic, and was replaced by a metal one. If the cap you received was metal, you are OK.

:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts