Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really tough decision to make.

My salesman called me today and told me that a customer ahead of me is probably going to cancel his order. The car is due to be delivered this week. The great news is that the car is almost exactly like mine. The only difference is that I ordered the Monsoon 6-disk CD Stereo and this vehicle only has the Monsoon single CD system. He also told me that I am currently third on the waiting list and my car could be delivered in within a month or two.

I have made a list of reasons why I should take the current car and why I should wait. I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Reasons to take the current car
1. No more waiting.
2. Fall is a great time of year for top-down driving in Texas.
3. I am more of a "radio" guy than a "CD" guy anyway.
4. I am nervous about the painted wheel constraint. Obviously, this car was built just under the wire.

Reasons to wait for My car
1. I will always feel like I am driving someone else's car (kinda silly, huh?)
2. I will be on vacation the second half of September and my new car would have to sit for two weeks while I am gone.
3. I would like to have an opportunity to sell my existing car to a private party and use that money as part of my down payment.
4. If I can wait just a few more months, my car will be delivered exactly the way I ordered it.

There are probably other pros and cons, but I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

My salesman called me today and told me that a customer ahead of me is probably going to cancel his order. The car is due to be delivered this week. The great news is that the car is almost exactly like mine. The only difference is that I ordered the Monsoon 6-disk CD Stereo and this vehicle only has the Monsoon single CD system. He also told me that I am currently third on the waiting list and my car could be delivered in within a month or two.

I have made a list of reasons why I should take the current car and why I should wait. I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts.

1. No more waiting.
4. I am nervous about the painted wheel constraint. Obviously, this car was built just under the wire.

2. I will be on vacation the second half of September and my new car would have to sit for two weeks while I am gone.
3. I would like to have an opportunity to sell my existing car to a private party and use that money as part of my down payment.
4. If I can wait just a few more months, my car will be delivered exactly the way I ordered it.

There are probably other pros and cons, but I am interested in hearing your thoughts.
For my money -- if the only diff is the 6 to 1 CD -- you got the better set up. Multi disk players mean you have to bring more disks with you (where do you store them??) The single disk using MP3s will accommodate 60-100 songs of very high quality --- why more disks??
So in effect you got your car and better!

·
Registered
669 Posts
If the only difference is the CD...GO FOR IT!!!! :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
No debate. Take it. Use an iPod and the six disc player is irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
None of us really have an answer, as in the end, it's what are you going to be happiest with,
but we can probably help you find your way through it.

Reading your post, it really sounds like you want to wait.
But, who knows. Guess we need to push you back and forth with it and you need to sleep on it.

Pros...

I have the 6 cd player.
I wanted it as the only storage really for additional cds is in the unit itself.
Maybe you could put some in the rear storage compartment.
I like it, but have only had more than 1 cd in it a few times,
listening to either radio, or a single mp3 loaded home cd.

The wheels contraints are a crap shoot.
You've got one in the hand. Maybe maybe not for your own actual order.

On the cons...

Once it's got your buttprint in the seat, it's yours.
Hard to imagine the "somebody elses car" thing will last a day, if that.

Parked for two weeks while your gone? Is the glass half empty or half full?
You'll have a Sky waiting for you when you get back, and know it grinning away while on vaca.

Selling the current ride could be a factor, but you may be able to squeeze that one out if you hussle.

Other stuff.
- Did you verify that you're price protected on your order?
Are you in the system, or just on a hand written waiting list (not protected).

If you got the single cd player and it bugs you later, it's proabably cheaper to change
than if you hold out on wheels, loose and consider changing them later.

So what's you gut say?
When you find a quiet place where you just "know", you're there.
Think about it. Don't think about it. You'll get there.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
FYI, I have the 6 disc & XM and I have only used the 6 dics 1 time. So if it is only because of that, and your happy with everything else I say go for it..:thumbs:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had the 6 disc in two cars, including my current one. It's basically a high-priced CD mini-case. Even on long trips, I seldom listen to more than one CD at a time. In fact, I know that all 6 slots are currently occupied, but I couldn't even tell you what CD's are in most of them. That's why I didn't order this option in my Sky. For me, the color would be the "take it or not" factor. (also the transmission) Even though I love all the colors (except maybe the white--just doesn't have the flash of the others, IMO) I settled on Silver Pearl because I felt I wouldn't get tired of it like I might with yellow or red, for example.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reading your post, it really sounds like you want to wait.
That was my original gut reaction, but I am starting to lean toward taking the sure thing if it becomes available to me.

On the cons...

Selling the current ride could be a factor, but you may be able to squeeze that one out if you hussle.
My ability to purchase the vehicle is not hinging on whether or not I sell my old car first, but I cannot put my car on the market until the guy that ordered the other car picks his deposit up from the dealership. Until then it is only a verbal cancellation and is not binding in the eyes of the dealership.

Other stuff.
- Did you verify that you're price protected on your order?
Are you in the system, or just on a hand written waiting list (not protected).

If you got the single cd player and it bugs you later, it's proabably cheaper to change
than if you hold out on wheels, loose and consider changing them later.

So what's you gut say?
When you find a quiet place where you just "know", you're there.
Think about it. Don't think about it. You'll get there.
I have been told that I am price protected. I would only take the swap if the price protection would carry over to the "new" vehicle.

I appreciate your advice. I will keep it in mind as I make my decision.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got a SKY that someone else ordered. It has never once felt like I'm driving someone else's car. This one is a completely different color than I had ordered so I did hesitate at first, but I can tell you now I am ssssooooo happy I decided to go for it. There were only 29 miles when I picked it up and I've put every single mile after that on..........MY CAR.

I say "GO FOR IT"~

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I have the single CD Monsoon in the current SKY and ordered the same in my Red Line. My reasoning is that I can easily take more than six CDs and burn them onto a single MP3 disk, which the Monsoon will play. But in reality, I pick my favorite tracks from 10-15 CDs that fit a certain mood, and burn them to MP3 disks. I have a "fast" disk and a "mellow" disk - I keep one in the player and the other in a case, and just swap them out depending on my mood.

An MP3 disk holds about 6+ hours of music. Why would you need a six CD changer? Just so you can get frustrated when the darned complicated thingie breaks as they always seem to do?

Take the car now and enjoy it. If you need to justify it so you feel like you really own it, just say to yourself "Yeah, I decided that the single CD was a better way to go. So I took a better car than the one that I configured when I didn't know as much as I do now. This baby here was meant for me..."

:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

1. No more waiting.

The 6 disc in my case was a waste of money and didn't get it in my GXP. We played our Ipod most of the time. You plug it right into the system.

I would get the car .

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have the six disk in my current car ... nice but agree with other forum members ... and ordered just a one disk for my Red Line....
I just do not listen to the cd player enough even on long trips.

So I would grabit if it becomes available. :thumbs:

·
Registered
230 Posts
SkyHighinTX -

I had the same oppurtunity a while ago, but I decided to wait on my car. I know we are using the same dealership, and they were going to add lots of stuff like car cover, etc into it. Just check and make sure you are buying exactly what you want. Personally, I didn't order the 6-disc changer and I wish I would have - there isn't any place to store CDs if you want to change them out regularly.

Ultimately it is your decision - do what makes you happy!! A month is not long compared to what you thought you were going to wait. You will love the ride, no matter which car you choose.:D

PM me when you get the call and we can meet up and show off our cars.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
We to bought a car somebody else ordered. In our case it was ordered with upgrades my wife & I probably would not of ordered, the CD 1 or 6 would of been a minor decision. We probably would of ordered the single to save a couple of bucks, but it did come w/ the 6. Do you think that I waste brain cells thinking this car "is not mine"? Because I did not order it? No way in hxll, this car is mine--no doubt about it, his loss was my gain. Do I feel bad about it? Absolutely not!-Don't even think about it, this thread made me think about tho, and to me its a no-brainer-What about when you go and buy a car and they walk you around looking at what they have? If you pick one out from the lot you didn't order that one either, do you think then "it's someone else car"? No way, it's YOUR car once you plant your but into the drivers seat--Believe me, if you take the offer on the table, once you take off, it won't even cross your mind, esp with the top down and that BIG grin across your face!! :D Good Luck on your decision!! :thumbs: On the other hand, your car might take longer, if that gives comfort then wait for it. The fact that it will be sitting @ the dealer for 2 weeks while your away bothers me. You never know what they will do with it. There is NO wrong decision here, remember that, if the 6-CD is important to you, then wait for your car, that will at least eliminate ALL your doubts and feelings your grappling with right now. OR have them order it for you and exchange it out. If all the other options you wanted are on it, including color tranny etc, then you have a tough decision, if its just the radio--that can be changed out.
MB

·
Registered
388 Posts
Get the car

We had ordered a single CD player but when our car arrived it had a 6 disc. We think the dealer "accidentally" ordered that so they could get more money from us. At first we thought it was nice to load up 6 CD's in there but we hardly use it. We listen to XM most of the time, or we have a mix of our favorites on 1 CD. We think it is a waste of money for the 6-disc, SO GET THE CAR!!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
no Contest, Buy That Thing

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SkyHighinTX -

I had the same oppurtunity a while ago, but I decided to wait on my car. I know we are using the same dealership, and they were going to add lots of stuff like car cover, etc into it. Just check and make sure you are buying exactly what you want. Personally, I didn't order the 6-disc changer and I wish I would have - there isn't any place to store CDs if you want to change them out regularly.

Ultimately it is your decision - do what makes you happy!! A month is not long compared to what you thought you were going to wait. You will love the ride, no matter which car you choose.:D

PM me when you get the call and we can meet up and show off our cars.
Thanks, Aggie.

If they start to add "extras", I will just wait for my car to come in. It should only be a couple of months away. I am really leaning to taking this car if they play fair and honor my protected price, while only adding the extras I want.

I would like very much to meet up and show off our Skys when I get mine. I will send you a PM.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts