Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stumped.

Had a stereo shop install a steering wheel control setup, and when I picked up the car I foumd the following:

• Security light was on steady
  • airbag light flashed and gave 3 'beeps'
  • the fan speed control works, but the 3 climate control lights do not come on, there is no temp control, and the blend control does not work.
I found the passkey fuse blown, which solved the no start condition.

Ideas welcome as to what is causing the no AC and airbag beeps.....

·
Registered
18,381 Posts
First thing comes to mind is the actuator to the AC....but try disconnecting the battery first...and then attaching, then do a reset of the actuator....u can find those instructions on utube, Just put in installing a solstice actuator....everything is there.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing comes to mind is the actuator to the AC....but try disconnecting the battery first...and then attaching, then do a reset of the actuator....u can find those instructions on utube, Just put in installing a solstice actuator....everything is there.
Disconnect st the fuse box negative, correct?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
then do a reset of the actuator....u can find those instructions on utube......
Here is the "calibration" process.

Actuator Recalibration
When replacing an air temperature, mode, recirculation actuator or the HVAC control assembly, the following calibration process needs to be performed:

Important: Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control assembly during self-calibration. If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.

1) Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.

2) Turn the Temperature dial all the way to the right.

3) Turn the blower control dial all the way to the right.

4) Turn the mode position dial all the way to the left.

5) Simultaneously press and hold the A/C and Defrost buttons until the LED's start to flash.

6) Once the LED's stop flashing, calibration is complete.

·
Administrator
6,889 Posts
Disconnect st the fuse box negative, correct?
My preferred method is to open the red cap on the Underhood Fuse Block and loosen the nut that is under it. Once it is loose enough, power to the car is disconnected.

Shorting that stud to ground would be dangerous, but there is nothing but plastic around it, so I consider it to be a safe and easy way to disconnect power.

Reactions: Pau Hana

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Followup- no joy on the battery reset procedure or the HVAC reset. Fan has all speeds, but there is no temp control, A/C light, recirc light, blend door control, or rear red defroster light.
More ideas?

·
Registered
2008 RL
96 Posts
It seems the more you do/longer you take, the less liable the offending shop is?

They messed it up, but now can blame "tampering".

They blew a fuse. That is almost always related to a dead short between hot and ground. Cutting a hot wire or pinching it. Somebody tapped into the wrong wires for illumination or accessory power.

The airbag situation may have been related to them disconnecting stuff with the power on. Youll need to scan for SRS airbag codes and or reset.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems the more you do/longer you take, the less liable the offending shop is?

They messed it up, but now can blame "tampering".

They blew a fuse. That is almost always related to a dead short between hot and ground. Cutting a hot wire or pinching it. Somebody tapped into the wrong wires for illumination or accessory power.

The airbag situation may have been related to them disconnecting stuff with the power on. Youll need to scan for SRS airbag codes and or reset.
Just a fuse was replaced and the battery reset procedure attempted.

Went to the shop this morning for resolution- just posted to Yelp (Stereo Warehouse, Seattle, WA):

I am so spitting mad right now I can't see straight. I expect professionals to act professionally- and when I brought a problem to the manager/owner, I was told I assumed all risks anything they did to my car. I always prefer to support small businesses rather than chain stores, but my faith is very broken in this company. The customer service was good when I was paying for service, but has become basically nonexistent after the sale is complete.

Details- I brought my 2007 Saturn Sky with 42k miles (the car is original and near show quality) into Stereo Warehouse for an install- I supplied the radio, and paid for the install. When I picked up the car, I was told by the installer Brian that he was not able to program the steering wheel controls, and to drop by on Monday at 9 and he'd have it done.

Monday morning, and I'm there at 8;45am. Brian does not show until 9:30.

Brian pulls my car in, and by 10:30 declares that I'd have to come back because he couldn't figure it out with tech support. I head to work, and call Dutton for an appointment. I get an appointment for the end of the week, and drop off my car on Friday.

End of the day- I arrive to pick up my car, and notice that the center console is just trashed with smeared black marks, scratches, and a stray screw. Further, the security light is on, and airbag light is flashing and sounding 3 tones. I immediately go back inside and talk to a "Jake" and show him my concerns. I also asked Brian about what happened and he says "I don't know- I just installed the steering wheel harness". Jake gives me Dutton's card and asks me to call him in the morning. So, as I'm leaving, I turn on the AC...and nothing. I have fan control, but no AC, heat, or any other HVAC controls. Again, I interface with both Jake and Brian and was advised to call Dutton on Saturday morning.

Saturday morning- the car won't start. The dash lights up, but it will not turn over. I call stereo Warehouse, and Dutton is not there. Nor will the voice on the phone give me his number or ask Dutton to call me. I check the fuse box, and the Passkey 3 fuse is blown. I replace it, and the car finally starts.

So- a scratched center console, security light on, airbag system fault, and not AC/heat/defrost- and the car won't start.

This morning, July 12, 2021, I arrive at Stereo Warehouse at 9am to talk to Dutton. He asks why I'm there, and I tell him that there are electrical issues with the car that were not there Friday when the car was dropped off. Dutton advises me that Brian is about 10 minutes out and I should talk to him. Dutton also advises that we "only connect harnesses, and do not cut or tap into wiring". I asked Dutton about paying for an Uber to/from my office, and he stated "no, we don't do that".

30 minutes later, Brian arrives. Brian tells me that he and Dutton chatted, and the resolution was that "he could uninstall the wiring he installed." Brian also admitted that a live 12v wire had grounded and blew an "ignition constant" fuse. I told Brian that that short may have done other damage (such as the security fuse being blown and the HVAC system not working) and he advised that the car should be scanned by a dealer. Brian stated that "I could leave the car, and he could tear into it all day and not make any money, and nothing would probably change."

When I asked Dutton if they would pay for the dealer diagnostic, Dutton stated that "you are modifying your original equipment, and we are not liable for any damages per the invoice you signed- so no, we don't pay for any dealer diagnostic work".

Stereo warehouse is the ONLY entity outside of the original factory that has been in the dash wiring, and the installer admitted to causing a short that blew fuses- but they apparently wash their hands of any responsibility except to recommend uninstalling the work they did.

To me, customer service start with the sale, but really hits home with followup. I'm hoping Dutton will read this and step up to the plate and make things right- all I am asking for is for my car to be in the same condition as it arrived in on Friday morning with 100% functionality of all factory systems.

Stereo Warehouse broke it- so make it right and fix it. It's what any customer deserves.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Good luck with that disaster. I would be steaming mad too.

It is for that very reason why I try my best to do everything myself. I had my Sky touched by two other people during restoration.

1) A friend who owns and operates an auto repair shop, replaced the BCM which required special programming that he was able to handle, along with him purchasing a one-time use license through GM. This was simply over my head.

2) I tried to get the forum-discussed IP lighting TSB done on my Sky through a GM/Chevy dealer. That was a bust that cost me nearly $160 and a day wasted in their waiting room.

At least my Sky is perfectly fine, no longer quirky from the previous BCM that was not programmed when it was installed.

·
Administrator
6,889 Posts
Hindsight is always 20/20, and nobody has the crystal ball to predict 100% smooth sailing.
There are two HVAC fuses, have you checked both of them?
Both are in the BCM: 10 and 16.

·
Registered
2008 RL
96 Posts
Wont throw any more salt in the wounds.

Path forward: get the car scanned for SRS airbag codes, looking for drivers airbag codes (they unplugged airbag with ignition on probably) Im not sure, those SRS codes may not self clear without a scantool code reset. If so, easy fix. Push reset button on scanner.

If any fuses keep blowing, the shorted wire will need to be replaced.

After your review and interactions with management, they have washed their hands of the matter. This business will not be making it right willingly, so your interactions with them are complete. From here out, it will be on you to repair at your cost. If you choose to invoice them, it will only be via demand-letter and legal proceedings.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wont throw any more salt in the wounds.

Path forward: get the car scanned for SRS airbag codes, looking for drivers airbag codes (they unplugged airbag with ignition on probably) Im not sure, those SRS codes may not self clear without a scantool code reset. If so, easy fix. Push reset button on scanner.

If any fuses keep blowing, the shorted wire will need to be replaced.

After your review and interactions with management, they have washed their hands of the matter. This business will not be making it right willingly, so your interactions with them are complete. From here out, it will be on you to repair at your cost. If you choose to invoice them, it will only be via demand-letter and legal proceedings.
No worries on the salt- live and learn. My skin is much thicker than a first world problem like this.

Agreed that the next course of action is the legal route if I choose to go down that path. Social media is a strong tool that can be wielded with great efficiency…

Have some repair ideas in the works- will report if/when they work to make the car whole.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Have you considered reverting back to the OEM setup, then troubleshooting from there? You stated the stereo shop didn't cut wires, just tapped into them. Maybe you could disconnect their work and trouble-shoot from there.

The Sky stereo system is fairly well integrated into the vehicle with steering wheel controls and turn signal indication. I am gun-shy considering an aftermarket radio. I just won't go there. I know that others have updated their stereo with fancy head units so my concerns can't be fully warranted.

I once considered an OEM head unit with a USB port for what I think was intended for a 2010 model Sky, but the cost of the head unit, security coding, and potential incompatibility, had me dropping that idea. Adding to the deterrence was the illumination. I replaced my head unit's display lens and circuit board with one from a Cobalt to better match my color-changed interior illumination. I had enough "fun" doing that once with compatible circuit boards. The USB head unit would require lots of soldering of surface mounted LEDs. There was just too much reason to be content where I am.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Be sure to contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and give a scathing review. Often businesses will then try to fix things rather than leave a poor rating there. At the very least you stand a chance of warning others off this place.

·
Registered
18,381 Posts
Have you considered reverting back to the OEM setup, then troubleshooting from there? You stated the stereo shop didn't cut wires, just tapped into them. Maybe you could disconnect their work and trouble-shoot from there.

The Sky stereo system is fairly well integrated into the vehicle with steering wheel controls and turn signal indication. I am gun-shy considering an aftermarket radio. I just won't go there. I know that others have updated their stereo with fancy head units so my concerns can't be fully warranted.

I once considered an OEM head unit with a USB port for what I think was intended for a 2010 model Sky, but the cost of the head unit, security coding, and potential incompatibility, had me dropping that idea. Adding to the deterrence was the illumination. I replaced my head unit's display lens and circuit board with one from a Cobalt to better match my color-changed interior illumination. I had enough "fun" doing that once with compatible circuit boards. The USB head unit would require lots of soldering of surface mounted LEDs. There was just too much reason to be content where I am.

WOW! U did a great job changing the LEDs to white....can I ask how u succeeded?
View attachment 116521
View attachment 116522

1 - 20 of 41 Posts