Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any magic secrets to checking the oil? I was out in my car port at night and decided to do a once-over in the engine compartment. After 20 minutes, I finally found the dipstick burried under some wires, and 20 minutes later, I got my big clunky hands in there to remove it, and an hour later, after getting some strong flashlights and a couple of other hands to hold them from various angles, I had it back in. Maybe it was a really bad idea to try this for the first time at night, but it is too hot here during the day.

So, do you guys just rely on OnStar to send you an email if your oil gets low, or do you actually ever check this? Could they have possibly made it more difficult? Is there something I am missing?

·
Registered
53 Posts
:cool: Use the force Luke.:cool: Ya I checked mine the first day I got it too. Not something you'd want to do many times. Where I work the new Mercedes truck don't even have a dipstick, it's all done by the O.B.C. Being an old mechanic I think I'll be checking it once in a while with the stick.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
richm said:
So, do you guys just rely on OnStar to send you an email if your oil gets low...?
Will it do that? Would it alert me when it gets low, or just in the monthly report that I'd probably never read? If so, I guess I'll sign up for the emails even though I hate knowing my car is spying on me.

This thread made me realize that I don't even know where the dipstick is in my 3 year old L200, let alone the Sky.

In my defense, the one time I opened the hood, that car tried to kill me. I had no idea that it had to be propped up with a stick and was nearly decapitated. Who makes a car like that these days anyway?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'd like to suggest something radical:

Read your owners manual.....

Really -- I do this as a good-natured suggestion, but really it is FULL of great info that can answer SO many questions.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
I'd like to suggest something radical:

Read your owners manual.....

Really -- I do this as a good-natured suggestion, but really it is FULL of great info that can answer SO many questions.
I know, but I also know that it's really not a good idea for me to touch anything mechanical. My boss once yelled at me for holding a screwdriver. One day when I have about 2 hours to type, I'll share the story of when I was away at college and my father told me to change my own oil. The bottom line is it cost about $250.

·
Registered
478 Posts
reedred said:
Will it do that? Would it alert me when it gets low, or just in the monthly report that I'd probably never read? If so, I guess I'll sign up for the emails even though I hate knowing my car is spying on me.
No, it won't let you know if the oil level drops. It will let you know when the computer thinks your oil needs to be changed, based upon several factors. If you want to know the level, you will need to check.

That said, absent a leak and changing the oil on time, there won't be a reason the oil level drops. draining and refilling to the proper level at oil change time should be fine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
richm said:
I finally found the dipstick burried under some wires
I brought this over-sight up with the plant engineers. I wanted to extend the length of the dipstick. But I guess it;s not going to happen.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dip stick by dipsticks

The owner's manual said the oil should be check with every fill up or something along those lines. I tried to check the oil for the second time in 4,000 miles the other day. Bright sun shine, the station canopy had its lights on, and I still could NOT find the tube. :mad: I'm old school whereby you change the oil evey 3,000 to 5,000 miles no matter what the manual says. Especially on a new engine that's probably full of manufacturing crud. I thought about painting the top of the tub white or yellow, but I'd have to find it first.
Just in case any of the geniuses from GM read these posts, I have two questions.
First, why in the name of Hector was the tube placed in the rear of the engine underneath the hoses and harnesses? Second, why the blazes is the tube so stinking short?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
The owner's manual said the oil should be check with every fill up or something along those lines. I tried to check the oil for the second time in 4,000 miles the other day. Bright sun shine, the station canopy had its lights on, and I still could NOT find the tube. :mad: I'm old school whereby you change the oil evey 3,000 to 5,000 miles no matter what the manual says. Especially on a new engine that's probably full of manufacturing crud. I thought about painting the top of the tub white or yellow, but I'd have to find it first.
Just in case any of the geniuses from GM read these posts, I have two questions.
First, why in the name of Hector was the tube placed in the rear of the engine underneath the hoses and harnesses? Second, why the blazes is the tube so stinking short?
First, I'm not a genius from GM. But, here's why I think they did what they did. The Echotec engine was designed for a front wheel drive. If you turn you engine 90 degrees, the dip stick would be right in front of the engine and easy to get to. They adapted this engine for the rear wheel drive Kappa platform which made some things a little hard to get to. Just my guess.

·
Registered
537 Posts
How strange that this has not been mentioned here before.:confused: I guess no one checks their oil.:confused: :rolleyes:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
I check my oil, I just do not complain where the dip stick is...Skip...:) :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
First, I'm not a genius from GM. But, here's why I think they did what they did. The Echotec engine was designed for a front wheel drive. If you turn you engine 90 degrees, the dip stick would be right in front of the engine and easy to get to. They adapted this engine for the rear wheel drive Kappa platform which made some things a little hard to get to. Just my guess.
Makes sense. It would also make sense that GM would engineer a different tube and stick for their rear wheel drive platforms. So having not seen the engine compartment yet since I'm still waiting :banghead: GM (or someone else) should be able to easily develop a new tube/stick for a retro fit.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Makes sense. It would also make sense that GM would engineer a different tube and stick for their rear wheel drive platforms. So having not seen the engine compartment yet since I'm still waiting :banghead: GM (or someone else) should be able to easily develop a new tube/stick for a retro fit.
The dip stick is easily accessible. It is located drivers side close to firewall next to hoses. You pull it and put it back in real easy...Skip..:) :) :)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have to admit it took a bit to find it the first time. But I do not feel it is any more difficult or hidden than others cars I have seen or owned.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I remember reading about the difficulty checking the oil and that is one of the first things I looked for after getting my R/L. There is no problem getting to the dipstick now... well exposed and easily checked. :thumbs: Don't know if there were changes from the 2.4 to turbo... but the problem is not there now. :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts