Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a couple of pdf files that show the spots where you should position jacks and/or jackstands on your SKY... :thumbs:

Enjoy!!!

BA...

Attachments

Reactions: squilliam

·
Registered
567 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been bugging my hubbie about rotating the tires, and he said I had to get him this info first. Perfect timing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is terrific and much appreciated. It looks like I need a special jack to accomplish this since none came with my vehicle. Is that right? If so, where can I buy the jack?

·
Registered
747 Posts
This is terrific and much appreciated. It looks like I need a special jack to accomplish this since none came with my vehicle. Is that right? If so, where can I buy the jack?
I would avoid Jegs, have had 2 of theirs fail, in less than 18 months. -J

·
Registered
290 Posts
not so much special. Just a low profile jack. I got one at pep boys for 60 buck. Make sure you get a spacer off of ebay(with one flat side), or make your own with a hockey puck. there are threads on these spacers too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My car has just been to the Opel garage for a diff. repair.
They did NOT use the GM jacklifting parts.
They damaged both the front fenders.
They repaired them but made a mess of it.
Does someone know what de fenders cost.
Please let me know.

Thank's and greetings from Holland.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
About $1100 for both.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
My car has just been to the Opel garage for a diff. repair.
They did NOT use the GM jacklifting parts.
They damaged both the front fenders.
They repaired them but made a mess of it.
Does someone know what de fenders cost.
Please let me know.

Thank's and greetings from Holland.
Why are YOU worried about the cost? THEY should replace them for free. If they WRECKED you car they would have to fix it, and this is no different. There have been letters sent to dealers, there are service bulletins on the subject, and the jacking pads are required special tools for the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
damaged front fenders.

They still don't want to replace the fenders. They repaired them with polyester strokes. Does somebody know the exact methode (GM) how to repair the fenders. Maybe they did it the wrong way and if so I have a reason to claim new ones. I have a legal assistance insurance.
Please let me know.

Sorry for the poor writing, thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You cant even imagine how stupid some of the dealers are. I was going to purchase a used white 2007 rl from a dealer here in Minnesota but when i pointed out that both the front fenders were cracked and they would either have to replace them or deduct the cost from the purchase price they told me that the next person would'nt notice and they would take their chances with another buyer. They said that they probably got cracked driving the car up and down the parking lot island that it was displayed on every day(I thought that was a great excuse). I told him from the looks of the underside and the fact that there were no scratches in the paint they sould probably talk to the mechanic that check the car out and ask him how he put it on the hoist. Needless to say the car was sold shortly there after to probably some poor sucker that didnt know any better. So if you purchased a white RL with a tan top last fall in MN, take a look underneath sometime soon before the fenders are flapping in the breeze.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
FastenerCaution

I keep seeing this in the online tech manual I purchased. Cant locate the Preface where the topic is discussed. Does anyone know what the heck they'er talking about?:cool:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lift Pad Adapter and jack stand points

If I'm reading the FSM correctly, I need to buy at least two J43625 Lift Pad Adapters to jack up the entire front end. I push them into specific points of the body and then jack on those points. Correct?

I only have one floor jack so are there spots where I can place jack stands, allowing me to move the floor jack to the other side of the car and lift? (I also don't like to be under a car with just the hydraulic jack holding it up.)

The car is a (new) girlfriend's 2007. She said some tire shop damaged her car by jacking it on the body some time ago. While I'm under there, I'm going to check the quality of the body shop's repair work too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I'm reading the FSM correctly, I need to buy at least two J43625 Lift Pad Adapters to jack up the entire front end. I push them into specific points of the body and then jack on those points. Correct?
An official "J-43625" kit should come as a set of two adapters. If the seller is not clear, pick up the phone and ask them how many adapters come with that part number.

Also, the number of adapters you need depends what you're doing on the vehicle..

If you're doing a simple tire change you can use a single puck and lift a single corner of the vehicle at a time. If you need to get under the vehicle and do not have ramps then yes, two pucks, two lift points, two lifts.

I only have one floor jack so are there spots where I can place jack stands, allowing me to move the floor jack to the other side of the car and lift? (I also don't like to be under a car with just the hydraulic jack holding it up.)
Anyone have advice for putting it on jackstands?
BEWARE: If you attempt to put a stand or attempt to lift anywhere else on the underbody other than the official lift points you may crush the underbody (I am guilty of crumpling steel in two locations, front and rear, on two different Kappas -- more encouragement for buying some ramps if you're at all uncomfortable finding a secondary location for your jacks.)

Officially? No. And don't be fooled by anything else under there that may look similar to a lift point, I assure you those spots will crumple before it lifts/supports the vehicle.

Unofficially? If you're going to kick a jack stand under the vehicle you might find a solid bar running from the front lift point port to the rear lift point port. If you're careful you might be able to get away with placing a lift and block-style puck against that bar "very close" to the official lift points. You can then place a jack under the official lift point (I'm assuming you have an appropriate puck or other spacer.) You will damage the weld/seam and/or body panel if you don't use something to protect the car from your lift. Also, the car may (will) shift a bit while jacking the other side of the vehicle up, so avoid placing the jack bare against the car. Really, unofficially, you use jack stands at your own peril. I would say I've done this but I imagine someone out there will find a way to misunderstand me and then crush the underbody of their car.

Personally I would promote two ramps, or two lifts and only place jacks as a safety measure (not as primary support), especially-- ESPECIALLY if you intend to crawl under there.

Ramps sometimes cost less than official pucks, too, and how much can you put on your safety?

or make your own with a hockey puck.
I learned the hard way that (some?) hockey pucks compress outward, and this further damaged an already cracked panel. They're great for awkwardly shaped/angled things like cross bars, pumpkins, oil pans, etc where the official puck just won't do and you need a more forgiving surface than the lift itself.. but I will never use one as a spacer to protect the body/panel from the lift at the official lift points again.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Since my original post back in April of 2017 I gained three more months of intensive servicing experience on that girlfriends 2007 base model before 1) tossing the girlfriend, and 2) gaining my own 2008 Sky. Still not sure which of the two benefited me more, but I'm loving my car!

About lifting the car, I obtained one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0066SHNH8

Someone assured me it's the right puck but, to be honest, I haven't tested it yet because my floor jack is too high a profile and won't go under the car. Instead, I bought a pair of ramps and have been using those. It seems like the puck has enough friction to stay on the car full-time. I might just do that. Or, I may use a silicone adhesive to keep them in. Handy in case I get caught in the field needing a lift. Just a note, my ex indicated people have jacked her car on the hardpoints without the pucks. Probably works OK but I'm sure it marred the metal. Maybe deformed it.

I've spent a lot of time researching this and am convinced that only the four hardpoints spec'd for jacking are suitable. Putting a jack or stand anywhere else is liable to cause damage. As such, I'll keep using the ramps and I'll get a low profile jack for the pucks. The only way to lift two or all-four wheels off the ground will be with two or for low profile jacks. That being the case, my next house will have a fourth garage slot dedicated to a two-point lift I've already chosen to safely lift this car. I suppose it will lift my other cars too. ha ha

I'm attaching the jacking instructions here.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
+up

·
Registered
202 Posts
I can update my last post on this to say I now have 5 pucks (the one I experimented with and a set of four I bought later). I'm probably going to make them tight fighting so I can just snap them into the car and leave them there permanently.

·
7,048 Posts
Some of these plastic insert pucks will still get your fender destroyed as they get older with use, start to flatten out some......
Here is what I did, Pics below......
First Pic: plastic Insert GM original pucks (Almost even with fender...
Second Pic: Difference in height of new steel puck.
Third Pic: Modified to remain on at all times...
Forth Pic: Sided-underside view, "a win win situation" on all four corners...

Lift Puck 1.jpg Lift Puck 2.jpg Lift Puck 3.jpg Lift Puck 4.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts