Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
I enjoyed reading this post thanks for sharing, it will come in handy if I ever do my own oilchange. I am still baffeled that my dealer charged me for 6 Qts and insists our Redline takes just under 6 qts even when when our manuel says 5.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I enjoyed reading this post thanks for sharing, it will come in handy if I ever do my own oilchange. I am still baffeled that my dealer charged me for 6 Qts and insists our Redline takes just under 6 qts even when when our manuel says 5.
Probably poured the first quart in without reinstalling the plug and charged you for it anyway.

I've seen people do this but not charge for it before.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
The reason why the dealerships say 6 quarts is the engine in the other redline vehicle takes six with the sump pump installed. That engine is a side winder and the sump pump pan is like two parts. The redline engine in the Sky is a one pan engine...It only takes five quarts to fill it up. This has been mentioned at least ten times in as many threads....Skip.....:):D:)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Almost 8 months later and it's that time again. She needs some new oil!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just brought my Sky home today and couldn't find the filter, THANK YOU for this write up, change complete now, now time for some :cheers:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just brought my Sky home today and couldn't find the filter, THANK YOU for this write up, change complete now, now time for some :cheers:

One question though - did you change the filter and oil right after you bought it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone tell me the type or brand of socket to use on the oil filter? I tried a craftsman (the smallest one I could find that will fit a 1/2" drive) but it won't fit...something going to the engine is blocking it from going on fully.

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Can anyone tell me the type or brand of socket to use on the oil filter? I tried a craftsman (the smallest one I could find that will fit a 1/2" drive) but it won't fit...something going to the engine is blocking it from going on fully.

HELP!!!!
The oil filter needs a 32mm socket. This was listed in the first post.

32mm is pretty big, so I don't understand your comment about smallest one wouldn't fit.

-GT

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried the 32 mm and it is the right size,it's just that something right above the oil filter is blocking me from fully putting the socket on the hex nut on top of the oil filter. looks like it is something going into the engine. I'm not too inclined on mechanics,but I have always changed my own oil. just wondering if there is a shallower socket and were can i buy it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
o yeah and the pics that are posted, are they of a solstice or a sky? My sky is not a redline,does that make a difference? Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I haven't tried it but I read that a 1-1/4" socket will also work. :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
32 millimeters = 1.25984252 inches

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I tried the 32 mm and it is the right size,it's just that something right above the oil filter is blocking me from fully putting the socket on the hex nut on top of the oil filter. looks like it is something going into the engine. I'm not too inclined on mechanics,but I have always changed my own oil. just wondering if there is a shallower socket and were can i buy it?
You probably need a swivel adapter to make it work at an angle.

I know, old post, but others might be curious too.

Jim :cool:

PS Great pictorial!

·
Registered
443 Posts
yes you need a swivel adapter along with a 6 inch extension for convenience.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I see you used that adapter also. Is this required or were you just being cautious?
Someone else did it without, but it would be so tight it might not work without two washers to space it out IMHO. It just depends on where your threads start rotationally.

Jim :cool:

21 - 40 of 65 Posts